Upgrading motherboard, cpu, gpu and powersupply.

p8arced

I recently bought a Intel i5 4690k,gtx970,a gigabyte motherboard and a xfx 550w powersupply. The only hardware that will remain the same is the ram and hard drives.

Currently I have an amd athlon x4 750k and hd7770. Can someone please provide some advice on how I should prepare for this upgrade. Should I remove my old amd and motherboard drivers and install the new hardware drivers prior to the upgrade? I have seen conflicting advice on whether or not to install the new hardware drivers before or after the parts have been installed. Is there any other advice I should know and what other preparation should I do (other than a backup)? For the record I am running Windows 10 and do not want to perform a clean install. Should I revert back to my previous operating system?

Thanks in advance,

Ps. I apologise if I posted in the wrong area.

Drivers: Uninstall install after upgrade.

Don't start a post without pc specs.

When you replace the motherboard, you will need to do a clean install of Windows regardless. You can back up your files, but programs will be uninstalled when you do a clean install.

I used to be quite active here.

Also windows 10 is TIED TO THE MOBO, so you have clean install regardless

Don't start a post without pc specs.

Thanks for the replies, I didn't think I had to do a clean install each time. I didn't think that the guys at LMG had to clean install after each motherboard change, did they? How would I perform a clean install. I have a bootable USB but only carrying windows 8 so should I create one with the windows 10 ISO or should I revert to windows 8 and work from there?

Many thanks.

Just did the upgrade and I did not have to do a clean install. The only thing I had to do was call Microsoft about windows activation