Autodesk Maya Build, Help!

minus
Go to solution Solved by multifrag,

Sad to say, but it is as tight as it gets. Probably losing some cost effectiveness as well. I just need Maya to run effectively... somewhat-ish... , like for a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest and 1 as the minimum requirement, I think around 2 would suffice. Just to put it into perspective, I am actually having a hard time buying either the 8320 or the 4460. I hope that helps  :(

Just a little bit more question though, any 4core from Intel will do? It won't matter if it's Sandy, Ivy or Haswell?

What about the motherboard? Is their anything to watch out for aside from the compatibility with the CPU?

And just out of curiosity, in stock speeds/cooler, would the 8320 be better than the 4460?

Thank you very much Multifrag. With me having absolutely no knowledge about Maya (or rendering for that matter), your help is a godsend. 

I'd suggest downloading maya and trying it out on your laptop. It will run on it.

Your main criteria is:

Cpu for rendering 4 cores. Cinebench is great benchmark to see how your cpu will perform in maya

Ram is how big your project can go before you will have to start spiting and optimizing your scene

Graphics card for how much fps the preview can output. 2gb Vram should be enough as even with my old quadro 512mb vram it was alright in millions of polygons. So any gaming gpu with 2gb Vram

Storage probably small ssd for main drive and big hdd for projects. Don't forget to turn on autosave in maya as it sometimes like to crash. I have it at every 5 minutes.

Monitors is recommended ips for good colour reproduction, but it is in the future if you will be earning money out of it.

Now is 8320 better than 4460:

Cinebench 8320 = 8-8.5pts

Cinebench 4460 = 6.5pts

amd wins, but look into platform cost and if you can overclock other chips

FX 8320 or I5 4460?

I have read around that you have to overclock the 8320 to get the best out of it for rendering. That means I have to include an aftermarket cooler which adds another cost. It also means I cant cheap out on the motherboard right? 

In that case, is it beneficial to just go with the 4460?

I'd go with a Xeon if I were you. And some beefy GPUs (gaming grade one + a quadro or something along those lines)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I'd go with a Xeon if I were you. And some beefy GPUs (gaming grade one + a quadro or something along those lines)

Xeon E3 1231 V3 or higher would be better

No doubt it would be better. But I guess it's entirely my fault for not stating that I am in a very tight budget. 

8320 it is then, since you'll probably want all the cores for rendering

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

FX 8320 or I5 4460?

I have read around that you have to overclock the 8320 to get the best out of it for rendering. That means I have to include an aftermarket cooler which adds another cost. It also means I cant cheap out on the motherboard right? 

In that case, is it beneficial to just go with the 4460?

In maya or any other 3D application the processor only gonna matter in terms of core count how powerful each core is. To be honest if you're not rendering every day you won't see a big difference between 4 and 6 cores(i5 and 5820k) Cheap, overclockable 4core is the go. Gpu in maya is only for preview, so any cheap gaming gpu will do the job. You might consider getting at least 2gb Vram as Mari (texturing app) can only work with minimum of 2 gb vram

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

In maya or any other 3D application the processor only gonna matter in terms of core count how powerful each core is. To be honest if you're not rendering every day you won't see a big difference between 4 and 6 cores(i5 and 5820k) Cheap, overclockable 4core is the go. Gpu in maya is only for preview, so any cheap gaming gpu will do the job. You might consider getting at least 2gb Vram as Mari (texturing app) can only work with minimum of 2 gb vram

Thanks for the very informative input! Just a question though, you mentioned that an overclockable 4core is the best way to go, does that mean that the 4460 is not a viable choice for Maya?

I would seriously look into the Xeon E3 for that build, though it would be nice to know the budget :).

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Thanks for the very informative input! Just a question though, you mentioned that an overclockable 4core is the best way to go, does that mean that the 4460 is not a viable choice for Maya?

Any 4 core is viable for maya, the overclocking can give 30% extra power. It's your choice if you want to overclock it as you will need a better cooler and so on. But I went with overclocking and as many cores as I can. So 12cores 24 threads overclocked to 4.4Ghz. I don't really know about amd performance on 3d apps, but with intel side a 4 core will do good job. Don't forget that it's not all about pc components. If you will be sucker at optimizing your rendering quality no computer will save your ass to finish it before deadline.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

I would seriously look into the Xeon E3 for that build, though it would be nice to know the budget :).

Sad to say, but it is as tight as it gets. Probably losing some cost effectiveness as well. I just need Maya to run effectively... somewhat-ish... , like for a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest and 1 as the minimum requirement, I think around 2 would suffice. Just to put it into perspective, I am actually having a hard time buying either the 8320 or the 4460. I hope that helps  :(

Any 4 core is viable for maya, the overclocking can give 30% extra power. It's your choice if you want to overclock it as you will need a better cooler and so on. But I went with overclocking and as many cores as I can. So 12cores 24 threads overclocked to 4.4Ghz. I don't really know about amd performance on 3d apps, but with intel side a 4 core will do good job. Don't forget that it's not all about pc components. If you will be sucker at optimizing your rendering quality no computer will save your ass to finish it before deadline.

Just a little bit more question though, any 4core from Intel will do? It won't matter if it's Sandy, Ivy or Haswell?

What about the motherboard? Is their anything to watch out for aside from the compatibility with the CPU?

And just out of curiosity, in stock speeds/cooler, would the 8320 be better than the 4460?

Thank you very much Multifrag. With me having absolutely no knowledge about Maya (or rendering for that matter), your help is a godsend. 

I'd suggest downloading maya and trying it out on your laptop. It will run on it.

Your main criteria is:

Cpu for rendering 4 cores. Cinebench is great benchmark to see how your cpu will perform in maya

Ram is how big your project can go before you will have to start spiting and optimizing your scene

Graphics card for how much fps the preview can output. 2gb Vram should be enough as even with my old quadro 512mb vram it was alright in millions of polygons. So any gaming gpu with 2gb Vram

Storage probably small ssd for main drive and big hdd for projects. Don't forget to turn on autosave in maya as it sometimes like to crash. I have it at every 5 minutes.

Monitors is recommended ips for good colour reproduction, but it is in the future if you will be earning money out of it.

Now is 8320 better than 4460:

Cinebench 8320 = 8-8.5pts

Cinebench 4460 = 6.5pts

amd wins, but look into platform cost and if you can overclock other chips