stupid slow file transfer speeds?

Jonathan W

WTF

So i am doing a backup of my GTA5 folder so i have a clean one for when i wanna go online, and im transferring from a 2TB WD Black Enterprise drive to my desktop, which is on an SSD. Even if its only over SATA3 shouldnt it be going WAY faster than this?

For those who arent aware the whole folder is about 65-70GB large

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

Well if I understand correctly you are reading from a hard drive and writing to the ssd. Well reading from an hdd wont be 500 Mb/s. the read write speeds are around 170-180 checking from a review so maybe the drive is faulty or worse for wear?

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

So i am doing a backup of my GTA5 folder so i have a clean one for when i wanna go online, and im transferring from a 2TB WD Black Enterprise drive to my desktop, which is on an SSD. Even if its only over SATA3 shouldnt it be going WAY faster than this?

Well, the Blacks are still regular HDD's, you're still limited to spindle speed and arm movements. Also, smaller files generally transfer much slower than 1 contiguous large file.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Ran Diskmark for my Games drive

Benchmarks are usually done with 1 large file, which is optimal transfer settings.  Game folders are rarely ever just 1 file.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

so the vibe that im getting from everyone is that thats a normal speed and im just expecting something that doesnt exist? lol

Just curious if my system is somehow bad or im just dumb and dont know what im talking about xD

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.

That's about the max you're going to see out of a platter drive.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

GTA V is full of very small files.

Many small files will take much longer to transfer, as opposed to one large one.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

This is kindof on the topic, but i ask a quick ask and making a new treahd for it seems abit of a waste

Anyway question: i got an sshd 2TB hdd, 8GB ssd, i use it as my gaming drive but im only getting speed of 80~90MB/s sata6 interface, the drive is 1 month old, is this normal or should i go complain to the shop?

Edit: the speed is for single large file transfer

This is kindof on the topic, but i ask a quick ask and making a new treahd for it seems abit of a waste

Anyway question: i got an sshd 2TB hdd, 8GB ssd, i use it as my gaming drive but im only getting speed of 80~90MB/s sata6 interface, the drive is 1 month old, is this normal or should i go complain to the shop?

Edit: the speed is for single large file transfer

These drives (SSHD) work by caching files which are regularly accessed on the SSD part of the drive.

If you're moving a file which isn't regularly accessed, it probably won't be cached in the SSD.

This means you'll be limited to the hard disk part of the drive for your file transfer, in which case, 80-90MB/s is perfectly normal.

Remember, even though the HDD is connected to a 6Gb/s interface, does not mean the drive is capable of transferring at 6Gb/s.

Hope this helps :)

These drives (SSHD) work by caching files which are regularly accessed on the SSD part of the drive.

If you're moving a file which isn't regularly accessed, it probably won't be cached in the SSD.

This means you'll be limited to the hard disk part of the drive for your file transfer, in which case, 80-90MB/s is perfectly normal.

Remember, even though the HDD is connected to a 6Gb/s interface, does not mean the drive is capable of transferring at 6Gb/s.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks, yes that helps and seems resonable, wich means that when i play the same game for like a month it should be fast still, but i want it faster, but guess that is for another treadh ^.^

-Snip-

that speed you show seems pretty normal for a cheap hdd, so nothing to worry about ^.^