Monitor Troubles

Daegun

So I wanted to know if anyone could help me with this problem. I'm having difficulties with my second monitor. I can't for the life of me get it to work. Whenever I go into device manager or change the resolution, my first monitor will be detected fine but the second one will be detected on and off. By that I mean it will show up as detected for 1-2 seconds, then be undetected for 1-2 seconds and just repeat that over and over again. All the while windows plays the sound of something being plugged in and unplugged repeatedly.

1st monitor is over HDMI and second is over DVI both plugged into a 390.

The problem isn't with the monitor, DVI cable, or power cord for the monitor, because the thing turns on fine and shows the bios screen, but the moment it starts to boot into windows it goes to sleep. I've also reinstalled graphics drivers twice, once to update to the most recent, and the second time I used Display Driver Uninstaller to completely remove the driver and then reinstall it but no dice.

I would love if someone could help with this because having just one monitor is killing me.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Does it work in with another computer?

Does another monitor work with your current computer?

Try swapping cables if you have extras (try a different DVI cable, and another type of cable if you can)

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Does it work in with another computer?

Does another monitor work with your current computer?

Try swapping cables if you have extras (try a different DVI cable, and another type of cable if you can)

Both monitors work if they're the only one plugged in, but if you plug the second one in it immediately goes to sleep and the above problem happens. These are the only two monitors I have. Both work with other computers as well.

Tried different DVI cables but it didn't help.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Both monitors work if they're the only one plugged in, but if you plug the second one in it immediately goes to sleep and the above problem happens. These are the only two monitors I have. Both work with other computers as well.

Tried different DVI cables but it didn't help.

Strange, almost as if it doesn't want two monitors.

Try different cables if possible (besides DVI)

Try different configurations of cable to monitor and which port each cable is plugged into on your card

Try to get another monitor. It could even be a TV, but just try another display

Also, could it be a power issue? Whats your PSU rated at?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!