Mostly asking about the GPU but...

Ophidio

I dont really know where this would necessarily go I have enough money to upgrade either my GPU or my CPU, Mobo, and RAM. I'm mostly looking towards the GPU right now because I am currently using a GTX 760 and I want to upgrade to a GTX 980ti, my only concern is will I have any issues using a 980ti with an FX8350 CPU. Or would upgrading my processor and such to an i7 6700k and getting an all new mobo and RAM be the better choice at the time? I am going to upgrade both in the near future I just want to go ahead and do one of them. Personally I feel like the 760 would be the better choice as it might hold me back on some games that are coming out this year and possibly early next year when more games start coming out. 

So which would the people of Linus tech recommend, the GPU upgrade, or the CPU upgrade at this time. Full System specs are in the signature. Thank you so much.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

Intel CPU will pretty much always be better, GTX 760 is still a pretty decent GPU. If you can afford it maybe upgrade to skylake but go with the i5 if its purely for gaming.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Personally I would go for a graphics card upgrade first before buying other thing

the 8350 will bottleneck the crap out of that 980 ti

upgrade your cpu to like a i5 4460

along with the mobo

for the gpu I would say an r9 390

That can fit into your 980 ti budget

Specs: i7-4790k with Thermaltake Water 3.0, EVGA GTX 970, MSI Z97 Gaming 3, Kingston HyperX 2x8 DDR3 1600Mhz, SSD Boot Drive/1TB HD, CM Storm Stryker, EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Peripherals: SS Rival, HyperX Cloud, G710+

upgrade your cpu to like a i5 4460

along with the mobo

for the gpu I would say an r9 390

That can fit into your 980 ti budget

Thank you but are you sure you read the whole thing? I will be upgrading both I just have the money for one right now. By Feb I will have the other i just want the best choice for right now, like which will i benefit more from at the current time.

Gaming Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus, 32GB Cosair Vengenace LP 3600mhz, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra,  Sabrent Rocket 4 1TB NVME SSD, WD Blue SN570 NVME SSD, 4TB Mass storage, EVGA 750W G2, Corsair 270R

I would upgrade the GPU right now. As an owner of an FX-8350, I got to borrow my friend's 980ti. In games it didn't bottleneck AT ALL, but performance with his i7 was of course better.

Upgrade GPU now, upgrade CPU later. The 6700K is a great (but expensive) choice.

Read up there^^ (I know from experience, not blind babbling!)

I used to be quite active here.

Yeah you can get an i5 4690k and a nice motherboard for 300 bucks.  Just make sure your PSU can handle the 980 ti.  

A 980ti will be significantly bottlenecked with an 8350 compared to a 6700k in most games and at 1080p, but you would get more performance going from a 760 ---> 980ti than 8350 ---> 6700k in games.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Upgrade CPU now, get Pascal or Arctic Islands next year.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Upgrade CPU now, get Pascal or Arctic Islands next year.

Would upgrading to a 6700k and a GTX 970 be a wise decision while I wait for Pascal to be released? Because I know i'd be able to upgrade both at the same time if I did a 970 just for the time being and I'd also be able to keep my current system going sooner so I can give it to my friend. But seriously, 6700k and a 970, is that a worthy upgrade for now to have two systems going at once? 

Yes, I'm aware "you don't need a 6700k to game" but I will do more with this system than just game. I do a lot of photoshop, and video rendering and also i like to live stream when I can so I would honestly benefit from an 6700k over an i5 and i really don't want to go with DDR3 RAM again that's why I'm going with Skylake.

Would upgrading to a 6700k and a GTX 970 be a wise decision while I wait for Pascal to be released? Because I know i'd be able to upgrade both at the same time if I did a 970 just for the time being and I'd also be able to keep my current system going sooner so I can give it to my friend. But seriously, 6700k and a 970, is that a worthy upgrade for now to have two systems going at once? 

Yes, I'm aware "you don't need a 6700k to game" but I will do more with this system than just game. I do a lot of photoshop, and video rendering and also i like to live stream when I can so I would honestly benefit from an 6700k over an i5 and i really don't want to go with DDR3 RAM again that's why I'm going with Skylake.

Personally, if I didn't have my R9 390 already I'd wait for Pascal. Upgrade to the 6700k now and get Pascal next year, it's such an improvement. 

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Personally, if I didn't have my R9 390 already I'd wait for Pascal. Upgrade to the 6700k now and get Pascal next year, it's such an improvement. 

I know, but I can afford to get a 970 as well would that be worth it until Pascal is released because I guarantee I'll be able to afford Pascal when it comes out even if I do buy a 970 now. I would go AMD but if I did that I'd just want to make my current rig an all red system. 

I know, but I can afford to get a 970 as well would that be worth it until Pascal is released because I guarantee I'll be able to afford Pascal when it comes out even if I do buy a 970 now. I would go AMD but if I did that I'd just want to make my current rig an all red system. 

You could save that money for a Pascal equivalent of the 980Ti though. Just because it's AMD doesn't mean it has to be red, I can only think of one 390 manufacturer that makes a red card.

You could save that money for a Pascal equivalent of the 980Ti though. Just because it's AMD doesn't mean it has to be red, I can only think of one 390 manufacturer that makes a red card.

I'm just saying red as in AMD is red generally. xD I dont want an acutal red card. I hate the color red... unless its a female... redhead good in bed.... yeah i just said that. 

ANYWAY! I just want to get another card if I'm going to end up waiting for Pascal so I can keep my current system running so I can give it to a friend sooner. Pascal probably won't come out for what, another 10 months? in 10 months I could have enough to just build another system in general so a GPU is no biggy by then. 

I'm just saying red as in AMD is red generally. xD I dont want an acutal red card. I hate the color red... unless its a female... redhead good in bed.... yeah i just said that. 

ANYWAY! I just want to get another card if I'm going to end up waiting for Pascal so I can keep my current system running so I can give it to a friend sooner. Pascal probably won't come out for what, another 10 months? in 10 months I could have enough to just build another system in general so a GPU is no biggy by then. 

If you wanna spend the money, go for it. It might be better to get the 390 though, if you're gonna be using a lot of VRAM, otherwise just get the cheapest of the two.