Recording Gameplay

MLG Doge

Hi this is my first post in a while and i apologise for not being very active.

But i needed tech related help and of course you guys are the first people i thought of.

I dont have so much as a problem just a request for knowledge and advice, I have been thinking about a youtube channel for a while and have decided now is better than ever to do it.

Of course i need to record gameplay such as CSGO, Rocket League and various other games (Some AAA titles) but i have no previous knowledge of recording software

My specs are as follows

i3-4150

8GB Kingston Fury RAM

128GB Kingston (not that crappy one) SSD

500GB HDD

500W EVGA Non-Modular PSU

MSI Z97 G43

Sapphire Vapor-X HD7950

Running at 1920x1080p

So i need an educated call on whether or not i can record decent videos and i need suggestions on a free recording software i can use.

As well as any other tips/tricks you have

I am not here to be told "You cant do it" or "Gaming on youtube is Over-inflated" so please refrain from that sort of comment

Cheers, Doge

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Can you record, definitely.

You might experience frame drops depending on how demanding the game is, but something like CS:GO is easily doable for a machine like that. So as for recording, you're definitely capable.

Now there are a couple of pieces of software I would recommend for recording both paid and free.

Free = OBS (Open Broadcast Software) Awesome and very recognized recording software

Paid = FRAPS, another great software although if you want to take the legal route, you'll have to pay

There is also DXtory, to my understanding thats one of the least damanding ways to record outside of shadowplay.

But that is also an option if you are looking for a gpu upgrade to grab a cheap 900 series card, but shadow play doesnt have the best video quality (that being said its totally find for casual recording.

Can get an idea of how well shadowplay can record here, mind you this was a fewq years ago quality might be better today.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

-snip-

OBS is by far the best, it works the best in my experience, supports live-streaming. native x264 support.

The only problem is that it only supports one audio stream, which is why I go for bandicam, where I can use one stream for mic (for audio sync with audacity) and another for speakers.

I heard dxtory was good but it costs money

EDIT:

i has tips and triks:

1. I would recommend using windowed borderless gaming for ur games as it works pretty well for things such as live-streams so you can easily switch scenes/games without doing any configuring in OBS.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

Hi this is my first post in a while and i apologise for not being very active.

But i needed tech related help and of course you guys are the first people i thought of.

I dont have so much as a problem just a request for knowledge and advice, I have been thinking about a youtube channel for a while and have decided now is better than ever to do it.

Of course i need to record gameplay such as CSGO, Rocket League and various other games (Some AAA titles) but i have no previous knowledge of recording software

My specs are as follows

i3-4150

8GB Kingston Fury RAM

128GB Kingston (not that crappy one) SSD

500GB HDD

500W EVGA Non-Modular PSU

MSI Z97 G43

Sapphire Vapor-X HD7950

Running at 1920x1080p

So i need an educated call on whether or not i can record decent videos and i need suggestions on a free recording software i can use.

As well as any other tips/tricks you have

I am not here to be told "You cant do it" or "Gaming on youtube is Over-inflated" so please refrain from that sort of comment

Cheers, Doge

. Try fraps it's not much

-snip-

BTW: Don't use Fraps. The file sizes are HUUUUGE, its almost as much as recording uncompressed video. unless you have a 4TB hard drive, you are going to run out of space quickly. I highly suggest obs, its better than fraps in every way except for benchmarking. Also fraps costs money so it's not worth it. also Fraps hasn't been updated in a while and it's pretty expensive, it's about $35 which is quite a bit for what you get.

If you want the best performing recording software. I would say Bandicam or DxTory, they both support a huge amount of codecs, so you can record using a light codec if you want.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

. Try fraps it's not much

However with fraps you get massive, and I mean massive recording file sizes. So take that in mind. However I recommend OBS as its for free, can record good quality video and you can also stream with it.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

OBS is by far the best, it works the best in my experience, supports live-streaming. native x264 support.

The only problem is that it only supports one audio stream, which is why I go for bandicam, where I can use one stream for mic (for audio sync with audacity) and another for speakers.

I heard dxtory was good but it costs money

EDIT:

i has tips and triks:

1. I would recommend using windowed borderless gaming for ur games as it works pretty well for things such as live-streams so you can easily switch scenes/games without doing any configuring in OBS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe that the multiplatform version of OBS supports several audio tracks?

On the other hand, I'm not so sure that it supports QuickSync (yet).

+1 to OBS with QuickSync encoding.

We actually have a good guide thread here on LTT for it: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/358175-how-to-why-quicksync-and-open-broadcaster-software-picture-heavy/

I use QuickSync with my OBS setup and I have experienced ZERO performance issues, which is how it's supposed to work. I'd highly recommend doing QuickSync if you can getting it working OP.

+1 to OBS with QuickSync encoding.

We actually have a good guide thread here on LTT for it: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/358175-how-to-why-quicksync-and-open-broadcaster-software-picture-heavy/

I use QuickSync with my OBS setup and I have experienced ZERO performance issues, which is how it's supposed to work. I'd highly recommend doing QuickSync if you can getting it working OP.

Which OS are you running? Reason I'm asking, it seems that Win10 has issues with quicksync, I turned it off after upgrading my OS. I have the power in my rig to do x264 anyways, but it was still nice to have absolutely negligible performance degrading.

Which OS are you running? Reason I'm asking, it seems that Win10 has issues with quicksync, I turned it off after upgrading my OS. I have the power in my rig to do x264 anyways, but it was still nice to have absolutely negligible performance degrading.

I'm on W8.1 pro.

dont use fraps, fraps was good 5 years ago for Minecraft videos, now its not

use OBS and intel quicksync

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)