What OS does mac use?

TechTheWorld

What OS does mac use? Can I buy that and put it on my pc?

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

If by mac you are talking about Apple's computers then it is Mac OS X and the current version is Mountain Lion

You can buy it from Apple's website but not all PC's can support the installation

Check this guide to know which parts are compatible with Mac OS X installation http://www.tonymacx86.com/325-building-customac-buyer-s-guide-january-2013.html

Thank you:) Yes I mean apple's computers...

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Even if you manage you get OS X on your PC, it probably wont run as well as windows will since OS X was made for specific hardware and isn't very well optimized for most other hardware.

That's true.

It is not easy to run OS X in a normal PC but in some cases you can get hardware that doesn't get conflicts with the OS, a lot of people do that and build what's called a Hackintosh

My friend runs dual boot with windows and hackintosh. Windows for games and hackintosh for other stuff. He pretty much had it in his mind that he wanted to use hackintosh when he bought the system though. The only difficult thing is if you run a 3rd gen Ivy bridge CPU it's difficult to get mountain lion to install.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Ye I will not be building a hackintosh then...

Smart choice.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Just got all the parts for my first build!!!! Will put it together tomorrow!

Ye the price tag on hackintosh threw me...

I can't imagine what the price for a real mac would do :P

I could do a lot with 2300$....

I know your question was answered but here is something extra. Mac OS X uses a UNIX based kernal, the same as Linux.

Edit: I worded that last part poorly, Linux also uses a UNIX based kernel.

I know your question was answered but here is something extra. Mac OS X uses a UNIX based kernal, the same as Linux.

Wait, there's more! :p

Mac OSX is basically a slightly rewritten BSD distro. So what you could is simply install BSD on your system and then find a GUI that resembles Mac OS.

linux and OS X aren't exactly based off UNIX, they are UNIX like and somewhat follow the POSIX standard, however much has changed. OS X was originally based off BSD, but probably doesn't have much of this code in the kernel anymore. Linux was originally similar to MINIX which is a micro-kernel and was used by Linus Torvalds to develop Linux.

I wouldn't recommend installing OSX on a pc , its only licenced for use on apple computers so no offical tech support or garantee how it will work.

"Apple based OS X on NextStep, an OS with a UNIX kernel. . . . Mac OS X with its UNIX origins, . . ." (pg 31) "In 1991, Linus Torvalds started a new hobby that resulted in Linux, an open source operating system based on UNIX." (pg 277) Holcombe, Jane, and Charles Holcombe. Survey of Operating Systems. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2012. Print.

"Apple based OS X on NextStep, an OS with a UNIX kernel. . . . Mac OS X with its UNIX origins, . . ." (pg 31) "In 1991, Linus Torvalds started a new hobby that resulted in Linux, an open source operating system based on UNIX." (pg 277) Holcombe, Jane, and Charles Holcombe. Survey of Operating Systems. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2012. Print.

Don't know where you pulled that info from, but Torvalds did not base his work on UNIX code. OSX is BSD based. They are UNIX like, not based on it. Do some more research.

I pulled it from a textbook...

BSD, and therefore OSX are derived from UNIX (unics re: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/77/Unix_history-simple.svg) Linux is not branched from, but it uses the same principals and file system structure as unix. There is no unix code in linux, but there could still be some in OSX

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

The OSX kernel has been redesigned plenty of times since then so there is likey very little BSD code left in there. Linux, windows and OSX used to use the BSD network stack but all this has changed.

Ye I just installed windows 7.

The question is: where are you getting that info from? :s

information on the origins of linux and BSD are all over the web, its really not hard to find.