What happens when you try to re-use Windows product key?

Railgun
Go to solution Solved by knibbs1325,

So if I keep the iMacs at Windows 7 but use the product key for Windows 10 on my new computer will it work?

so you are using the upgrade key for win 10 from one of the imacs to use on your new build? it should work, but i dont have experience with that but it should still work because its a completely different key. and worse case it will let you run the os and just say its not able to activate but you would then get enough time to get a OEM win 10 key for 80ish USD

So we have two iMac computers. One has Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp so I ripped the product key off using a third party program and used the key to install Windows 7 on our other iMac (mine). It activated as a genuine version of Windows and everything has been working perfectly. I assume this is because both iMacs share the same motherboard, is this correct?

I am building a new computer soon and need a copy of Windows so I was just wondering what would happen if I tried to use the same product key on my new computer with a totally different motherboard? Will it work for the new one but stop working for the iMacs, or will it just not work for the new computer, or something else?

I'm sure I will end up having to buy a new license so whats the cheapest official way to get a product key? I say official cuz I don't wanna mess around with softwareswap due to the risk of being scammed plus the overall ghetto-ness of it.

Thanks

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

So we have two iMac computers. One has Windows 7 installed via Bootcamp so I ripped the product key off using a third party program and used the key to install Windows 7 on our other iMac (mine). It activated as a genuine version of Windows and everything has been working perfectly. I assume this is because both iMacs share the same motherboard, is this correct?

I am building a new computer soon and need a copy of Windows so I was just wondering what would happen if I tried to use the same product key on my new computer with a totally different motherboard? Will it work for the new one but stop working for the iMacs, or will it just not work for the new computer, or something else?

I'm sure I will end up having to buy a new license so whats the cheapest official way to get a product key? I say official cuz I don't wanna mess around with softwareswap due to the risk of being scammed plus the overall ghetto-ness of it.

Thanks

you could just use the same license that you used for your imacs, microsoft only tracks windows 8 and 10 keys now

My Rig: i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz / Asus ROG r9 390X / Gigabyte x99 Gaming 5P / 32GB DDR4 PNY Anarchy / 256gb m.2 / 2x 120gb SSD Raid 0 / 6TB seagate / Dual Dell 23" IPS / Logitech Orion Spark / Steelseries Rival / AKG 553 Massdrop Edition

you could just use the same license that you used for your imacs, microsoft only tracks windows 8 and 10 keys now

So if I keep the iMacs at Windows 7 but use the product key for Windows 10 on my new computer will it work?

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

so you are using the upgrade key for win 10 from one of the imacs to use on your new build? it should work, but i dont have experience with that but it should still work because its a completely different key. and worse case it will let you run the os and just say its not able to activate but you would then get enough time to get a OEM win 10 key for 80ish USD

My Rig: i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz / Asus ROG r9 390X / Gigabyte x99 Gaming 5P / 32GB DDR4 PNY Anarchy / 256gb m.2 / 2x 120gb SSD Raid 0 / 6TB seagate / Dual Dell 23" IPS / Logitech Orion Spark / Steelseries Rival / AKG 553 Massdrop Edition

I don't know what you mean by upgrade key. I meant the product key I ripped off of one computer and used to install Windows 7 on the other lol

I don't know what you mean by upgrade key. I meant the product key I ripped off of one computer and used to install Windows 7 on the other lol

yeah thats the product key, but with windows 10 being a free upgrade the windows 10 key you mentioned in the previous post makes it an upgrade key which is completely different from that windows 7 key

yeah thats the product key, but with windows 10 being a free upgrade the windows 10 key you mentioned in the previous post makes it an upgrade key which is completely different from that windows 7 key

Oh I see.

Thanks for the help