Portable Programming Computer [POLL included]

LtStaffel

Hello,

I'm trying to build a portable computer... still.  Anyways, I'm just looking for the best option.  I don't care if it is a laptop, mATX, mini-ITX, or Intel Compute Stick, or something else.  Budget is $320USD but if you think the compute stick or something is the best option, tell me that.  This machine is probably going to run Linux, and does not need to have a lot of space.  Better specs than a phone is preferred.  If you give a build, assume the ram is 240 pin and bought, also assume storage is an ssd and hdd both sata, and those are bought as well.  Room for a graphics card is a bonus, though not mandatory (don't include one).

Thanks in advance

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

How portable are you thinking of?  Why not just get a laptop and install Linux?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

A laptop seems like the most portable and user-friendly option - you can get a decently powerful machine for not too much cash.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

How portable are you thinking of?  Why not just get a laptop and install Linux?

Any of those options.  There are pluses and minuses to each, namely, the inverse ratio of power to portability.  What laptop would you recommend?  A laptop is one of my options so I would do that, just trying to find out what there is.

A laptop seems like the most portable and user-friendly option - you can get a decently powerful machine for not too much cash.

Which one would you recommend, keeping my $320 budget in mind?

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

I would get a HP Stream 11 or 13. They are both reliable laptops with pretty solid specs for ~$200. Plus, you don't have to worry about having a monitor or keyboard like you would with a compute stick.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

I would get a HP Stream 11 or 13. They are both reliable laptops with pretty solid specs for ~$200. Plus, you don't have to worry about having a monitor or keyboard like you would with a compute stick.

The computer stick is close to half the price of those laptops, so I could afford to find a way to add a keyboard and mouse.  But I'll look into those laptops, thanks for the input!

Spoiler

The computer stick is close to half the price of those laptops, so I could afford to find a way to add a keyboard and mouse.  But I'll look into those laptops, thanks for the input!

No problem! I meant you can use the laptop in places like a car without needing a monitor and keyboard and mouse with you.

Main PC: i5 4590 @ 3.5 GHz ♦ RX 480 Armor OC ♦ 16 GB DDR3 ♦ GA-Z97-HD3 ♦ 120 GB 840 EVO ♦ 120 GB Intel 520 ♦ W10 Home

Scrapyard PC: Xeon X5460 @ 3.8 GHz ♦ HD 7870 ♦ 8 GB DDR2 ♦ GA-P35-DS3L ♦ 80 GB Intel 320 ♦ 160 GB WD Caviar SE ♦ W10 Home

No problem! I meant you can use the laptop in places like a car without needing a monitor and keyboard and mouse with you.

True, though I probably wouldn't use it too much during a car ride since I've got a tablet, phone, and other stuff to do.  And if I'm driving it doesn't matter how portable anything is, since I won't use it :P

Spoiler