Silent Graphics Card Performance?

Go to solution Solved by TheRandomness,

No I mean gas as in air. Solid, liquid, gas... science... I guess no one really gets that stuff. 

That Accelero xtreme cooler thing with some noctuas. Done.

Hi, so after doing some research on the 980Ti and Titan X I saw and heard the sound testing for the graphic cards and they were actually quite loud under full load, I've done a post like this before, but for making them silent are there any tips besides just liquid cooling? Would it be possible to get full load performance with silence using air/gas cooling? 

A HUUUUGE heatsink combined with some large fans would make it silent :P And ofc they'd be loud under full load, though said full load shouldn't be encountered with day to day use.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

A HUUUUGE heatsink combined with some large fans would make it silent :P And ofc they'd be loud under full load, though said full load shouldn't be encountered with day to day use.

So no hopes of silence with air/gas cooling?

Yes

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

If by gas you mean to include the option of some very cold gas getting chilled by an air conditioner or the like, then yes.  That is, assuming the AC unit is somewhere you won't hear it

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If by gas you mean to include the option of some very cold gas getting chilled by an air conditioner or the like, then yes.  That is, assuming the AC unit is somewhere you won't hear it

No I mean gas as in air. Solid, liquid, gas... science... I guess no one really gets that stuff. 

I guess no one really gets that stuff. 

lmao read my profile and rethink that last comment

But anyways, yeah I don't know of any passive cooler that will do the job.  If you want it air cooled, or even cooled with some other gas, it's not going to happen silently without some system that lets you put the unfortunately required noisy bits somewhere else

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

link?

I'm pretty sure most of the noise comes from turbulence, not the fan motors. that being said I think anything that spins at up to over 4000 RPM is going to make a noise.

water-cooling would be the only way to completely silence it (actually, thinking about it, the EK Predator would be perfect for something like this, just swap the CPU block for a full cover GPU block and you have basically silent cooling)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

I'm pretty sure most of the noise comes from turbulence, not the fan motors. that being said I think anything that spins at up to over 4000 RPM is going to make a noise.

water-cooling would be the only way to completely silence it (actually, thinking about it, the EK Predator would be perfect for something like this, just swap the CPU block for a full cover GPU block and you have basically silent cooling)

Okay thank you, for liquid cooling a Titan X or a 980Ti with silent performance should I make a new thread over in liquid cooling or just keep it here or?...

Okay thank you, for liquid cooling a Titan X or a 980Ti with silent performance should I make a new thread over in liquid cooling or just keep it here or?...

that's up to you, it's technically another matter, so there's no harm making another thread

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Since it's an on going thing, I'll just leave some brownie points for everyone and I'll just pick this up on a new thread later, thanks guys