980 ti SLI 1920x1080 144hz

Tungviktare

Hi!

I have a question that i can't seem to find a clear answer to, maybe I can get some help!

My current setup is gaming at 1920x1080 at 144 hz - with a singel 980 TI card.

I have a simple question, if I decide to get another 980 ti card and run SLI with these, will it improve my gaming proformance? 

- Do not regard if its woth it money wise or anything like that.

I know its different game to game, but overall?

Thanks in advance! much appreciated!

Yes and no, some games could simply run worse due to lack of support, etc.

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Hi!

I have a question that i can't seem to find a clear answer to, maybe I can get some help!

My current setup is gaming at 1920x1080 at 144 hz - with a singel 980 TI card.

I have a simple question, if I decide to get another 980 ti card and run SLI with these, will it improve my gaming proformance? 

- Do not regard if its woth it money wise or anything like that.

I know its different game to game, but overall?

Thanks in advance! much appreciated!

Performance wise -Yes if the game supports and drivers aren't crappy

Is it worth it?- Not at that resolution

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Yes, i have two 980 ti's and it will improve performance, remember you'll need an sli bridge, and that you wont get double the frame rate

hope this helps :) 

no not really

980Ti was meant for entry level 4k

aka 4ish times 1080p, If ANY games are lacking behind it cant be by much. 

You'll  be fine with a single 980Ti another is really a waste unless you want to do 4k 60fps 

Thanks for the answers so far!

Nobody running the 1920x1080 144 hz monitor setup? with 980 ti SLI? 

Thanks for the answers so far!

Nobody running the 1920x1080 144 hz monitor setup? with 980 ti SLI?

There is no point to. 980Ti is not needed unless you do 1440p 144hz or 4k

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

what CPU do you have?

If your GPU usage is >99% then another 980ti will help. if its not then it wont do anything at all.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

what CPU do you have?

If your GPU usage is >99% then another 980ti will help. if its not then it wont do anything at all.

Thanks for your reply!

I use i7-4770K

Thanks for your reply!

I use i7-4770K

ok great - well as before, simply check your GPU usage using MSI Afterburner in a few games... if your GPU is at 99-100% usage and NONE of your 8 CPU cores are above 80-100% CPU usage then another 980ti will add some frames in games that support SLI.

The flip side of the coin is that your GPU usage might not be 100% but you will see at least one of your CPU cores at 100% - this means adding another graphics card wont give you a higher frame rate - it might up the average, and improve the minimum but the maximum will not increase...

The other other side of the coin is that both CPU and GPU are at less than 100% usage - this is usually caused by one of a few reasons:

• the game engine is shit
  • you have v-sync on (and are hitting the vsync rate without using all your power)
  • the game might be I/O bound (slow HDD)
  • the game is forced to use HDD/SSD when it wants to use RAM (you don't have enough RAM)

Note: with increased frames from another GPU comes increased CPU load along with it. this will vary engine to engine as some engines will calculate physics and AI on a set tick (say 50 times a second) where as  some will calulate them every frame...

regardless of physics/AI - seeing as your CPU tells the GPU to draw vertices - the more frames the more draw calls the more CPU load.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Not all game utilize SLI, or one that do might not do it well. It reallllly depends on the games you are playing. For 1080p I would say stick with one 980ti. If you're venturing into 1440p or 4k consider SLI. In games that support SLI well it will obviously benefit you, but as others here are saying it's really not worth it. If you have that much cash laying around for dual 980ti's may as well start looking into 4k/1440p.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

ok great - well as before, simply check your GPU usage using MSI Afterburner in a few games... if your GPU is at 99-100% usage and NONE of your 8 CPU cores are above 80-100% CPU usage then another 980ti will add some frames in games that support SLI.

The flip side of the coin is that your GPU usage might not be 100% but you will see at least one of your CPU cores at 100% - this means adding another graphics card wont give you a higher frame rate - it might up the average, and improve the minimum but the maximum will not increase...

The other other side of the coin is that both CPU and GPU are at less than 100% usage - this is usually caused by one of a few reasons:

• the game engine is shit
  • you have v-sync on (and are hitting the vsync rate without using all your power)
  • the game might be I/O bound (slow HDD)
  • the game is forced to use HDD/SSD when it wants to use RAM (you don't have enough RAM)

Note: with increased frames from another GPU comes increased CPU load along with it. this will vary engine to engine as some engines will calculate physics and AI on a set tick (say 50 times a second) where as  some will calulate them every frame...

regardless of physics/AI - seeing as your CPU tells the GPU to draw vertices - the more frames the more draw calls the more CPU load.

Thank you so much for these  hits, a got a much better perspective on it now! 

1080p and 980ti SLI would be a ridiculous waste of money.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO