GTX 770 SLI not booting

Barodil
Go to solution Solved by Barodil,

Ok guys, it's been a while I know.

RMA took ages and also I started studying so I simply did not have any time...

In the end I got a new PSU and sent in my Sabertooth for RMA. Because It could not be repaired and my retailer did not have any another one I now own a MSI MPower Z77. And what can I say? It seems to work! I just installed Windows, but I did not have any trouble booing etc.

I am so happy I don't have to buy a new CPU :-D (ofc I have to test with Prime an see if it holds the old Overclock, but it looks great so far)

Right now my System is running on my very special box-testbench and I'm going to put it back in my case the next week. A picture will be up soon...

In the end I just can thank you all for your help!

Best regards

Barodil

Hi!

About ten days ago I received my two GTX 770s from EVGA (Step Up), installed them and they worked fine - for a week. A few days ago I had my PC crash while surfing. Then It sometimes loaded Windows but when I normally have the Loginscreen it went black an there was no reaction what so ever - crash. Also sometimes it froze at the biosscreen or restartet itself after trying to load windows (savemode would not load).

Man I spent the whole day since this morning trying things out. Savemode, tryed to repair Windows, checked bootdrive for errors, put the cards new inside the slot, several drivers (WQHL, Beta, older ones, EVEN older ones with modded .inf), resetted Windows, ran standart biossettings, reflashed bios, searched google, asked my father for advice (he builds PCs for over 20 years now and does some serious IT shit at work). Nothing really worked. Maybe for a little while an then again - no boot...

I tried each card on its own. How it seems sometimes they work sometimes they don't and together it is almost impossible to get them running.

I thought about reinstalling my OS completely but then I found some articles and forum posts about problems with the new 700 series drivers and some people seem to get the same issues a me with 770 cards (Gigabyte, Asus and other companies).

Right now I am using my iGPU and my system runs buttersmooth, booting without a single problem.

I have about four/five ideas what the problem could be:

1. driverissue

2. need to make a fresh installation of Win7 (it's 4 months old)

3. I have two broken, brand new cards (not likely)

4. two broken PCIE slots (also unlikely)

5. incompatible hardware (man it worked fine, but who knows?)

It's just that I am pretty exhausted searching for this sneaky little gremlin and running out of ideas. Almost kicked this sh*tty beauty of a tincan into oblivion (can I say that? no idea^^).

Maybe the LLT Community has some advice.... <_<

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

When the systems doens't boot, does it give "error beeps"?

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

Delete your nvidia drivers, check your pci-e power connectors (it might be the powersupply?) And install fresh drivers. You could also try disableing the intergrated graphics, but that could lead to bigger problems. Let me know if any of this works :-)

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

Nope I have error LEDs but I did not notice any flashing, might check it out.

Delete your nvidia drivers, check your pci-e power connectors (it might be the powersupply?) And install fresh drivers. You could also try disableing the intergrated graphics, but that could lead to nigger problems. Let me know if any of this works :-)

Yeah I deleted the old drivers etc. and also checked the powerconnectors. It theoreticly can be the PSU but shuoldn't it shut off then when I start a game which it did't? Any Idea how to test it? I have not got a spare one lying around...

Intel Core i7 3770K delidded @ 4,5Ghz | Corsair H100i w/ Noctua NF-F12s | EVGA Geforce GTX 770 2GB @ 1,2Ghz | MSI Big Bang MPower Z77 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 | Windows 10 Professional 64 bit | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB Samsung | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Seasonic X Series 850WLogitech MX Master | Corsair MM400 | Corsair Vengeance K70 | beyerdynamic MMX 300 Manufaktur | Asus PB278Q 27" 1440p | Corsair Obsidian 550D

Nope I have error LEDs but I did not notice any flashing, might check it out.

Yeah I deleted the old drivers etc. and also checked the powerconnectors. It theoreticly can be the PSU but shuoldn't it shut off then when I start a game which it did't? Any Idea how to test it? I have not got a spare one lying around...

Try switching the graphics cards, the first one in the second slot and the second one in the first slot.

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

try re-installing windows, it could be the registry is messed up beyond repair to work with the nvidia cards.....

Edit...Get hold of a different PSU and try it.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Try switching the graphics cards, the first one in the second slot and the second one in the first slot.

I think I will not work, because each on it's own has problems, but I'll try out.

try re-installing windows, it could be the registry is messed up beyond repair to work with the nvidia cards.....

Also thought this and will do it if nothing else can solve the problem.

Edit...Try a different PSU if you can...could be a damaged PSU?

I also think its the psu..

If you put the Nvida cards in and try and boot in VGA mode does it work?

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Are u using aftermarket extensions?Take out the cards,reinstall the os and drivers then boot without them.Then reinstall the cards and go from there,I had the same issue then it was fixed.

If you put the Nvida cards in and try and boot in VGA mode does it work?

Did this, no effect.

Edit...Get hold of a different PSU and try it.

Are u using aftermarket extensions?Take out the cards,reinstall the os and drivers then boot without them.Then reinstall the cards and go from there,I had the same issue then it was fixed.

I had it not booting with my iGPU earlier so I am going to do a fresh installation of Windows next weekend. If it doesn't work then I'll check the PSU.

It's not too bad though because I changed a quite bit of my setup (overclocking, some new hardware, software etc.) and already was thinking about setting it up properly with all the right parameters. Furthermore I'm going to buy a Laptop soon (for university) so I can set up my PC for gaming and editing while my Ultrabook will be my office platform.

I'll post if the reinstall was the problem or if I have any hardwaredefect. Thanks for the help sofar...

PS: This came to my mind right now: I had a problem with my iGPU (had to use it when the 680s were shipping to Step Up) and the cards beeing both activated at the same time after I installed them. Then Windowupdates installed the Intel driver automatically parallel to the Nvidia ones and messed up everything. I used savemode to sort this out, deactivate the iGPU and delete the driver but think this might be the cause. In a week we'll see.

EDIT:

Checked the PCIe error LED, nothing indicated there so it should not be the cards or slots, right?

Did this, no effect.

I had it not booting with my iGPU earlier so I am going to do a fresh installation of Windows next weekend. If it doesn't work then I'll check the PSU.

It's not too bad though because I changed a quite bit of my setup (overclocking, some new hardware, software etc.) and already was thinking about setting it up properly with all the right parameters. Furthermore I'm going to buy a Laptop soon (for university) so I can set up my PC for gaming and editing while my Ultrabook will be my office platform.

I'll post if the reinstall was the problem or if I have any hardwaredefect. Thanks for the help sofar...

PS: This came to my mind right now: I had a problem with my iGPU (had to use it when the 680s were shipping to Step Up) and the cards beeing both activated at the same time after I installed them. Then Windowupdates installed the Intel driver automatically parallel to the Nvidia ones and messed up everything. I used savemode to sort this out, deactivate the iGPU and delete the driver but think this might be the cause. In a week we'll see.

EDIT:

Checked the PCIe error LED, nothing indicated there so it should not be the cards or slots, right?

Okey, good luck with the build.

Let me know if you get it fixed:-)

Okey, good luck with the build.

Let me know if you get it fixed:-)

Ok guys, big trouble... No GPU and soundcard installed. All unnessesary USB devices disconnected. Booting Windows Setup - crash.

It's a hardwareproblem and I think it's the CPU. Why? Because when it fails booting the CPU-error LED glows for a splitsecound and then it reboots. My CPU still seems to be prime stable an I am running no overclock, but maybe it got damaged - it's delidded and was overclocked with 1,35V so... What do you think? I could try out my sisters PSU to confirm if it is the problem but after I saw this little red LED flash I think I burned 280€...

Ok, might not be the CPU: I highjacked my sisters PC while she is at her friends place, ripped out the PSU and connected to my system. Three successfull boots so far. - Is there a good way to test if everything works with the other PSU besides from doing several reboots?

Ok, might not be the CPU: I highjacked my sisters PC while she is at her friends place, ripped out the PSU and connected to my system. Three successfull boots so far. - Is there a good way to test if everything works with the other PSU besides from doing several reboots?

Does the buld the build boot whit the 770's while using your sisters psu?

Does the buld the build boot whit the 770's while using your sisters psu?

It does boot, but I can't put in both, because It's only 500W.

I talked to my retailer and he offered me a new PSU. Hopefully I'll get it this week so I can put it in. Also further testing (gaming with one card, pirme 95, GPU benchmarks and several reboots showed no Problem with the system, so I am 90% sure it was the PSU.

I keep you up to date, thanks for your interest and help. ;)

Still had boot issues. Nailed it down to a Problem with my MB:

In 50% of the time this happenes: Startup, CPU check (LED glowing for a Moment) OK, RAM check (LED glowing for a Moment) OK, VGA - tried with one 770 and with iGPUcheck (LED glowing for a Moment) OK, Bootdevice check - error LED continuously glowing, black screen, no post, no postbeep, no error-beep. All the same with SSD connected or with the bare board, CPU and RAM.

Also bios seems to have issues accepting changes - when it works. Reflashed newest Bios - no effect.

Now I am waiting for another board to test if the Sabertooth broke or if there is an undetected CPU problem. Maybe PSU and MB died together :rolleyes: because my PSU definately was defective (they tested it and somethig was wrong...).

Also I broke one of my H100i mounting bolts, so I am waiting for a new moutingkit right now (thank corsair for teir mounting accessories).

Man this is some bad luck and the time could not have been better( -> I am moving to my town where I will study, this weekend). On the postive side none of my working parts will break because my PC is completely dissasembled and all the parts are save in their packaging B)

Did you try resetting CMOS.

I did not write it down but yes, CMOS cleared. Thanks anyways ;)

I did not write it down but yes, CMOS cleared. Thanks anyways ;)

Try your all your components in another system.

Try your all your components in another system.

I don't have one around, thats why I'll try another board. GPUs and stuff will be tested in another PC soon...

• 1 month later...

Ok guys, it's been a while I know.

RMA took ages and also I started studying so I simply did not have any time...

In the end I got a new PSU and sent in my Sabertooth for RMA. Because It could not be repaired and my retailer did not have any another one I now own a MSI MPower Z77. And what can I say? It seems to work! I just installed Windows, but I did not have any trouble booing etc.

I am so happy I don't have to buy a new CPU :-D (ofc I have to test with Prime an see if it holds the old Overclock, but it looks great so far)

Right now my System is running on my very special box-testbench and I'm going to put it back in my case the next week. A picture will be up soon...

In the end I just can thank you all for your help!

Best regards

Barodil

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! Your post was a great help for me in figuring out some options. Recently I got myself also GIGABYTE GFORCE GTX 770 and after that I'm having some issues:

1. My pc boots very slow (makes about 4 start-up beeps) and all-in-all, takes abt 4 minutes to reach the welcome screen.

2. I tried to access BIOS and it turns out I cannot. It just shows me black screen.
3. Ingame, only sometimes, I'm experiencing very hard crashes (everything freezes > blue screen or just nothing-nothing responds = force shut-down).

I suspected my motherboard being not compatible with my new video card but after some research I found out it can also be my power supply. I have 750W one and read that "GTX 770 requires a minimum of 600 watts and has a total power draw of 250 watts".

Can that be IT (changing my power supply)? Will that really fix my endless problems?

Hi! Your post was a great help for me in figuring out some options. Recently I got myself also GIGABYTE GFORCE GTX 770 and after that I'm having some issues:

1. My pc boots very slow (makes about 4 start-up beeps) and all-in-all, takes abt 4 minutes to reach the welcome screen.

2. I tried to access BIOS and it turns out I cannot. It just shows me black screen.

3. Ingame, only sometimes, I'm experiencing very hard crashes (everything freezes > blue screen or just nothing-nothing responds = force shut-down).

I suspected my motherboard being not compatible with my new video card but after some research I found out it can also be my power supply. I have 750W one and read that "GTX 770 requires a minimum of 600 watts and has a total power draw of 250 watts".

Can that be IT (changing my power supply)? Will that really fix my endless problems?

Do some stress testing to see if ur machine is stable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Your post was a great help for me in figuring out some options. Recently I got myself also GIGABYTE GFORCE GTX 770 and after that I'm having some issues:

I suspected my motherboard being not compatible with my new video card but after some research I found out it can also be my power supply. I have 750W one and read that "GTX 770 requires a minimum of 600 watts and has a total power draw of 250 watts".

Do some stress testing to see if ur machine is stable.

Ok, in the end I had to figure it out myself and follow my guts which in the 1st place was that my video card is not compatible with my motherboard. Did a BIOs update and I think all is fine now, both pieces like each-other again and the computer starts up faster than ever.