Found an Old Gaming PC While Helping Out Family...

dkevelx

There is a TD;DR at the end, but more information in the post body.

So I'm currently helping a family member out at one of their businesses.

Misc. Unimportant Info: (it's a cafe in a wealthy apartment complex, thought it might be fun...it isn't) 

Working there pretty much gives me access to wander all the maintenance hallways and storage areas with pretty much no hassle, which is where I discovered that the building has an entire room stuffed full of junked and stored electronics (usually a bunch of old Dell monitors in 4:3 and a bunch of junked servers). Today I found an old dual socket computer with a gtx 480 inside an old Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 (no side panels, unfortunately). I asked one of the maintenance guys if I could take it and they said OK, so I got it for nothing.

Took it home and inspected it. It was remarkably clean. There's no dust on the mobo or 480, and just some small clumps in the corners of the case and fans. Tried to turn it on and all the lights turned on and the fans started to spin, but because it didn't have a hard drive or ram, so it didn't exactly boot. Motherboard error codes indicated as much. No CPU issues, apparently.

After tearing it mostly apart (the cable management was atrocious), I found out that its an Intel Skulltrail Motherboard and two QX9775's (required some googling, as my knowledge on computer parts only goes back to around 2010), interesting note, however is that the CPU's were passively cooled. Which might be why the owner chucked it. Two passively cooled enthusiast grade CPU's (at the time) with a 480 and horrible airflow (the fan configuration was unique, to say the least) pretty much guarantees overheating, I think (CPU thermal limit was 63 degrees or something, iirc).

The GTX 480, while a bit dusty, was working perfectly fine when I swapped it into my main rig (dat 50 degree idle, doe).

It's at this point where I'm not sure if I want to sink the 2-300 dollars to make this thing function or not (needs some DDR2, HDD and possibly a new power supply, case, and heatsinks). It's not a monetary issue, more of a potential regret issue. A part of me just wants to get it running for shits and giggles maybe try and overclock the nuts off of it.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with these CPU's or CPU's of the time? There isn't much current information besides the fact that in single threaded things it gets stomped by anything higher than a i5 2500. Also not 100% certain what parts this thing uses.

TL;DR: Found an old, potentially fully functioning socket 771 Skulltrail computer with dual QX9775 and a GTX 480, wondering if I should spend the 2-300 dollars to get it running. Need opinions/peoples experience with the parts due to lack of current and some conflicting info online. Also pretty sure I'd do well in a scrapyard wars with this thing, if it works well. xD

PS: If you want photo's, I can probably scrounge up some shitty, grainy, camera phone photos of it with horrible lighting.

| Corsair Carbide Series 350D |Corsair H100i | Intel i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz, 1.175v | EVGA x99 Micro 2 | G.Skill Trident Z 32gb, 3200MHz

| Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti @1506MHz | EVGA P2 850 Watt | 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500gb | Western Digital Red Pro 6TB |

There is a TD;DR at the end, but more information in the post body.

So I'm currently helping a family member out at one of their businesses.

Misc. Unimportant Info: (it's a cafe in a wealthy apartment complex, thought it might be fun...it isn't) 

Working there pretty much gives me access to wander all the maintenance hallways and storage areas with pretty much no hassle, which is where I discovered that the building has an entire room stuffed full of junked and stored electronics (usually a bunch of old Dell monitors in 4:3 and a bunch of junked servers). Today I found an old dual socket computer with a gtx 480 inside an old Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 (no side panels, unfortunately). I asked one of the maintenance guys if I could take it and they said OK, so I got it for nothing.

Took it home and inspected it. It was remarkably clean. There's no dust on the mobo or 480, and just some small clumps in the corners of the case and fans. Tried to turn it on and all the lights turned on and the fans started to spin, but because it didn't have a hard drive or ram, so it didn't exactly boot. Motherboard error codes indicated as much. No CPU issues, apparently.

After tearing it mostly apart (the cable management was atrocious), I found out that its an Intel Skulltrail Motherboard and two QX9775's (required some googling, as my knowledge on computer parts only goes back to around 2010), interesting note, however is that the CPU's were passively cooled. Which might be why the owner chucked it. Two passively cooled enthusiast grade CPU's (at the time) with a 480 and horrible airflow (the fan configuration was unique, to say the least) pretty much guarantees overheating, I think (CPU thermal limit was 63 degrees or something, iirc).

The GTX 480, while a bit dusty, was working perfectly fine when I swapped it into my main rig (dat 50 degree idle, doe).

It's at this point where I'm not sure if I want to sink the 2-300 dollars to make this thing function or not (needs some DDR2, HDD and possibly a new power supply, case, and heatsinks). It's not a monetary issue, more of a potential regret issue. A part of me just wants to get it running for shits and giggles maybe try and overclock the nuts off of it.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with these CPU's or CPU's of the time? There isn't much current information besides the fact that in single threaded things it gets stomped by anything higher than a i5 2500. Also not 100% certain what parts this thing uses.

TL;DR: Found an old, potentially fully functioning socket 771 Skulltrail computer with dual QX9775 and a GTX 480, wondering if I should spend the 2-300 dollars to get it running. Need opinions/peoples experience with the parts due to lack of current and some conflicting info online. Also pretty sure I'd do well in a scrapyard wars with this thing, if it works well. xD

PS: If you want photo's, I can probably scrounge up some shitty, grainy, camera phone photos of it with horrible lighting.

YEAH MAKE IT RUN. make it WORK. Let there be light..........

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Use it to fold and heat your house in the winter!

That would be awesome. Plus you get a badge near your user name in LTT!  :)

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I think cooler master still sells side panels for it, go on ebay and get cheap ram and a cheap HDD and have FUN. If it blows up later, oh well keep the case !

ill buy it for 300. I could use a furnace in my room. My i5 just isnt pushing heat like i want it.

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

Hifiman HE4xx | Philips SHP9500s | Swans HiVi M10

You guys are a bad influence. xD

As far as I'm aware through my limited googling, this thing uses DDR2 server memory because of it's workstation lineage, not sure if that's right or not so if someone know definitively, that'd help a lot. It's pretty cheap for 4x4gb's on Amazon.

I also want to get a decent PSU. The one in there right now feels shady to me. it's called a Tagan ITZ Series 700 watt, newegg reviews are in the 4 star range, but so are a lot of Raidmax PSU's. Not quite sure how much power the CPU's use, though there are two of them and a 480 (which I know uses a lot of power). I'm thinking around 750-850 watts (I always buy at least 80+ Gold too)? Also, the motherboard has two 8 pin headers and a molex connector near the PCI slots (I assume to send power to cards if you run 3/4 way sli/xfire) so if there's a PSU in that wattage range that has that, that'd be nice.

| Corsair Carbide Series 350D |Corsair H100i | Intel i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz, 1.175v | EVGA x99 Micro 2 | G.Skill Trident Z 32gb, 3200MHz

| Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti @1506MHz | EVGA P2 850 Watt | 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500gb | Western Digital Red Pro 6TB |

ill buy it for 300. I could use a furnace in my room. My i5 just isnt pushing heat like i want it.

Lol. Get's pretty chilly in my room, not gonna lie. Gonna need my own furnace in the winter.

-snip

Those Dell 4:3 monitors are amazing. I've got one sitting portrait to the side of my main monitor, right now. I've got one (total) vertical taskbar sitting on it.  Although, since it's portrait it's a ***** to use in Ubuntu.

I don't game on it, so resolution and refresh rate really don't matter.

As for your current predicament. Along with the things you need, you're going to need to spend a pretty penny on cooling... That 480....

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

You guys are a bad influence. xD

As far as I'm aware through my limited googling, this thing uses DDR2 server memory because of it's workstation lineage, not sure if that's right or not so if someone know definitively, that'd help a lot. It's pretty cheap for 4x4gb's on Amazon.

I also want to get a decent PSU. The one in there right now feels shady to me. it's called a Tagan ITZ Series 700 watt, newegg reviews are in the 4 star range, but so are a lot of Raidmax PSU's. Not quite sure how much power the CPU's use, though there are two of them and a 480 (which I know uses a lot of power). I'm thinking around 750-850 watts (I always buy at least 80+ Gold too)? Also, the motherboard has two 8 pin headers and a molex connector near the PCI slots (I assume to send power to cards if you run 3/4 way sli/xfire) so if there's a PSU in that wattage range that has that, that'd be nice.

Yup uses DDR2. Use it for folding! Good use for old computer!

That would be awesome. Plus you get a badge near your user name in LTT!  :)

Wait, what? Explain to me what you are talking about

I think cooler master still sells side panels for it, go on ebay and get cheap ram and a cheap HDD and have FUN. If it blows up later, oh well keep the case !

If they do, that would be a Godsend. 

I'll buy some cheap DDR2 (if that's what it uses) and a hard drive to see if things are in working order. And then I'll probably get a new PSU. I kind want to see how long it'll live.

Not a huge fan of used parts, if I'm honest, but I might buy a used 290/290x just to see what kind of numbers it throws up.

Pretty sure he's talking about the folding team badge.

Tagan was a good brand, widely regarded in Germany and parts of Europe. Likely a quality unit !

Yep FBDIMM ECC or NON ECC. I bought my son some on ebay for cheap for his HP workstation and my other some 4 gigs for under 20 bucks on ebay, you just gotta be patient because the cheap FBDIMMS go fast.

Yup uses DDR2. Use it for folding! Good use for old computer!

Thanks for the info! I've just ordered the stuff (literally open in a second window, just needed some confirmation on the DDR2). I'll get back to you guys once I get it.

The folding team badge. That's near your username, 

Tagan was a good brand, widely regarded in Germany and parts of Europe. Likely a quality unit !

Yep FBDIMM ECC or NON ECC. I bought my son some on ebay for cheap for his HP workstation and my other some 4 gigs for under 20 bucks on ebay, you just gotta be patient because the cheap FBDIMMS go fast.

Ahh. That's good to know. I don't know anything about PSU's before certification. xD

I might want to pick up a new one because this one uses a lot of adapters to connect to things. I dislike adapters. And some of the cables are crazy short (the PCI power cables are like 6 inches long).

I'm just gonna get new DDR2. Found 8gb's on amazon for 35, sounds like a pretty good deal.

those qx9775 though. Man i have a emachines et1831 hehe with a intel D945. I still have not ran any games in it because i probably wont be able to haha. But i did recently put in a R7 250x cuz thats all i could afford and a EVGA 600W PSU. but i want to build a new PC for myself problem is the money's haha. I just bought a thermaltec v 21 which is my first piece towards my new PC. Hopefully I will be able to get a i7 4790k soon :) go for it and have fun old PC's can be fun too 

those qx9775 though. Man i have a emachines et1831 hehe with a intel D945. I still have not ran any games in it because i probably wont be able to haha. But i did recently put in a R7 250x cuz thats all i could afford and a EVGA 600W PSU. but i want to build a new PC for myself problem is the money's haha. I just bought a thermaltec v 21 which is my first piece towards my new PC. Hopefully I will be able to get a i7 4790k soon :) go for it and have fun old PC's can be fun too 

Nice but

is that r7 250x going in a pc with the 4790k?

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Nice but

is that r7 250x going in a pc with the 4790k?

nop ill probably buy a better GPU well one within my budget of course like  a gigabyte gtx 950 extreme or a R9 290x 

nop ill probably buy a better GPU well one within my budget of course like  a gigabyte gtx 950 extreme or a R9 290x 

Oh ok. That's better

Oh ok. That's better

i also would like to get the sabertoot mark S

i also would like to get the sabertoot mark S

Oh looks fancy. The "armour" seems totally pointless (beyond a little bit of dust protection), but it still looks like a good mobo

Oh looks fancy. The "armour" seems totally pointless (beyond a little bit of dust protection), but it still looks like a good mobo

haha yea thats why i like it cuz its white and fancy. Plus i am planing on painting the thermaltech v21 that i just bought white and make it a theme for the new PC. Ill probably need to paint the PSU too. The armor is supposed to be a good heatsink for the mobo the good thing is that, it looks good :)