CX600M for non overclocking build

NeatSquidYT

A CX for a GTX 970 is not recommended. It can surely handle the wattage, that isn't the concern, but a continuous output rating of 30C is what is to concern anyone with a hotter GPU.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Corsair/CX600M/11.html

The M does actually deliver full power at 45°C.

There are multiple revisions of the CX series of every wattage bar the 400W (EDIT: 850W as well). So this doesn't hold true to all CX600Ms and then, when someone buys one on, say, Amazon, they could be getting a revision 1 CX600M or a newer, better one.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Stop. Literally stop.

600 meters is 400 meters on a warm day.

equally as stupid as saying 600w is 400w on a warm day.

If you don't have any breaking news about how energy measurements no longer exist pipe down little man.

600 meters is 400 meters on a warm day.

equally as stupid as saying 600w is 400w on a warm day.

If you don't have any breaking news about how energy measurements no longer exist pipe down little man.

Distance != heat vs electricity? Power supplies get less efficient when you put them under load because of heat. That isn't rocket science.

What he isn't saying is that 200W of power magically disappear because the CX was used in the summer. He's saying that power is turned into heat which is how electricity works. Many cheap power supplies suffer from the same problem as the CX - inability to output their rated wattage. Most of the CX-series have an ambient temp tolerance of 30 Celsius (not great) and, once a high enough continuous load has been put on them, they will restart themselves (a good thing, actually, though it would be preferable that they accept more heat). The CX600 has no problem outputting 600W under its continuously rated temperature of 30C, however, as it becomes afflicted by excessive heat it outputs less amperage on the rails, meaning it outputs less power.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I know what the website says, it does not say anything about the use of the computer it is installed in. It is intended as a low cost power supply series. 600w is 600w.

no. just no. 600w is an actual real world observable value. 600w is never 400w

and they rated your PSU at 50 because they felt like it. its not better or worse because of it. You just need to understand what the rating means, which you clearly don't.

If you look at the specs of the components that determine what the unit is capable of outputting, you will see that those components does derate as temperatures goes up. This will affect the units ability to output what it is rated for at a higher temperature. So simply stating "600w is 600w" and that other companies rated their PSU at higher operating temperature of 40C or 50C jus because they "felt like it" is in falsehood.

Take the Hiper M300, for example. A "300w is a 300w", correct? However, look at this review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=144

In the cold box of 22C, it was able to output 300w continuously. On the other hand, when the temperature had reach 43C, the unit gave out and died when trying to output it's full wattage.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3987

How does the temperature inside of my case affect the performance of my power supply?

Power supplies can perform differently depending on the temperature at which they are operating at. When a power supply is rated for it's total output wattage, it is rated to do so at a particular temperature. Anything beyond this temperature may take away from the power supply's capability. A power supply that is rated to put out 550W at 25°C or 30°C (room temperature) may only be able to put out 75% of that at 40°C or 50°C (actual operating temperature). This difference is called the "de-rating curve". A normal operating temperature for a power supply is 40°C.

There are multiple revisions of the CX series of every wattage bar the 400W. So this doesn't hold true to all CX600Ms and then, when someone buys one on, say, Amazon, they could be getting a revision 1 CX600M or a newer, better one.

The CXM has only one revision, and it was release about the same time as the V3 revision (updated Bronze, primary capacitor, and 12v rating).

The reason why the CX600M didn't tripped off the OTP may have to do with the fact that it is running at 230V. This mean that primary stage is under less stress due to lower amount of currents (half), and as such it is more efficient and thus generating less heat. This may be why the Corsair VS is rated for 40C despite being a lower-end design, as it's a 230v only power supply while the the CX has an input range of 100~240V. Corsair could have tested the CX at 100V.  This is why the EVGA 430w failed to supply its rated wattage @ 100V but did it at 120V as shown in HardOCP review, as well as why Aris' (TPU / Tom's / TheLab.gr) sample of the CX750/M was able to output it rated wattage, while Jeremy's (JG) and Paul's ([H]) sample did not.

The CXM has only one revision, and it was release about the same time as the V3 revision (updated Bronze, primary capacitor, and 12v rating).

The reason why the CX600M didn't tripped off the OTP may have to do with the fact that it is running at 230V. This mean that primary stage is under less stress due to lower amount of currents (half), and as such it is more efficient and thus generating less heat. This may be why the Corsair VS is rated for 40C despite being a lower-end design, as it's a 230v only power supply while the the CX has an input range of 100~240V. Corsair could have tested it at 100V.  This is why the EVGA 430w failed to supply its rated wattage @ 100V but did it at 120V as shown in HardOCP review, as well as why Aris' (TPU / Tom's / TheLab.gr) sample of the CX750/M was able to output it rated wattage, while Jeremy's (JG) and Paul's ([H]) sample did not.

You learn something new every day! 

So basically the non-M versions have multiple revisions and the Ms do, the Ms are a bit better.

If only there was one revision for everything...

You learn something new every day! 

So basically the non-M versions have multiple revisions and the Ms do, the Ms are a bit better.

If only there was one revision for everything...

Yeah, the non-modular had three revisions (the 430-600 models, while the CX750 / M + was always CWT PUQ since the beginning).

From what I remember, the CXv1 was over-rated specification-wise, where let's say the CX430v1 took the CWT DSA-380 @ 40C model and had labeled it as a 430w @ 30C unit without any sort of 80 Plus certification. On top of that, when the first review came out by realhardtechx, some people also had issues with the component selection in which they had felt that the bridge rectifier is more appropriate in a 300w unit - not 380w, let alone 430w. You could read about it here: http://www.overclock.net/t/884142/corsair-i-am-disappoint-300w-430w

From there, V2 was introduce a half year later with a 80 Plus standard certification and a updated bridge rectifier. However, there were some reported primary capacitor failure of both the V1 / V2 (which the video Don that posted is one of those version), in which within a year or so, it was change to a Japanese primary cap along with a higher 12v rating more appropriate for the unit that it is rated for in the current V3 revision and the M versions. So yeah, it's a bit better.

If you look at the specs of the components that determine what the unit is capable of outputting, you will see that those components does derate as temperatures goes up. This will affect the units ability to output what it is rated for at a higher temperature. So simply stating "600w is 600w" and that other companies rated their PSU at higher operating temperature of 40C or 50C jus because they "felt like it" is in falsehood.

Take the Hiper M300, for example. A "300w is a 300w", correct? However, look at this review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story2&reid=144

In the cold box of 22C, it was able to output 300w continuously. On the other hand, when the temperature had reach 43C, the unit gave out and died when trying to output it's full wattage.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3987

How does the temperature inside of my case affect the performance of my power supply?

Power supplies can perform differently depending on the temperature at which they are operating at. When a power supply is rated for it's total output wattage, it is rated to do so at a particular temperature. Anything beyond this temperature may take away from the power supply's capability. A power supply that is rated to put out 550W at 25°C or 30°C (room temperature) may only be able to put out 75% of that at 40°C or 50°C (actual operating temperature). This difference is called the "de-rating curve". A normal operating temperature for a power supply is 40°C.

The reason why the CX600M didn't tripped off the OTP may have to do with the fact that it is running at 230V. This mean that primary stage is under less stress due to lower amount of currents (half), and as such it is more efficient and thus generating less heat. This may be why the Corsair VS is rated for 40C despite being a lower-end design, as it's a 230v only power supply while the the CX has an input range of 100~240V. Corsair could have tested the CX at 100V.  This is why the EVGA 430w failed to supply its rated wattage @ 100V but did it at 120V as shown in HardOCP review, as well as why Aris' (TPU / Tom's / TheLab.gr) sample of the CX750/M was able to output it rated wattage, while Jeremy's (JG) and Paul's ([H]) sample did not.

I didn't say "a 300w is a 300w" I sad 300w is 300w. as in the measure of energy not all 300w power supplies are equal.

Distance != heat vs electricity? Power supplies get less efficient when you put them under load because of heat. That isn't rocket science.

What he isn't saying is that 200W of power magically disappear because the CX was used in the summer. He's saying that power is turned into heat which is how electricity works. Many cheap power supplies suffer from the same problem as the CX - inability to output their rated wattage. Most of the CX-series have an ambient temp tolerance of 30 Celsius (not great) and, once a high enough continuous load has been put on them, they will restart themselves (a good thing, actually, though it would be preferable that they accept more heat). The CX600 has no problem outputting 600W under its continuously rated temperature of 30C, however, as it becomes afflicted by excessive heat it outputs less amperage on the rails, meaning it outputs less power.

Trust me you don't need to explain to me how a power supply is more efficient at lower temperatures, I know that. I have made power simple power supplies myself. 

I also know and understand that CX power supplies have a bad reputation, and got it for a reason.

My point was that 600w does not ever equal 400w. don has no idea what hes talking about.

thats where the analogy came from of 600m = 400m is the same nonsense as 600w = 400w.

I think there's some miscommunication going on here. This may have to do with Don being from Bulgaria, and as such, English is not his native language nor is it mine.

Since we are talking about the CX600M unit specifically, I do believe when Don said "600w is 400w", he specifically talking about the CX600M ability to output it rated wattage in an environment where it will be operating at a higher temperature (homes with no AC in the summer or in a top-mounted PSU case).

Take the Seasonic M12II Bronze 520w/620w for example. It has a operating temperature of 0-50C; however, it also states "The rated power will reduce from 100% to 80% from 40°C to 50°C". So since the rated power for the M12II-B 620 is 620w continuous, 80% of that would mean 496w @ 50C. Since the CX600M is a 600w continuous rated power supply @ 30C for 3 years, would it still function as a 600w continuous rated power supply @ 40/50C or succumb to being de-rated like the Seasonic? Well, what we do know is that TPU sample had shown that it is capable at least doing 600wDC @ 45.28C on 230V (which is not advisable, since it is warranted for 3 years the 30C rating in mind) and the OP is from England.

Anyways, enough with this 2+ pages CX talk that happens a lot here. I'll just reiterate what I said before and leave. This MSI GTX 970 Gaming had shown to draw 218wDC directly from the PEG connectors and PCIe slot during Furmark (a power bug), while this Xeon E3-1275 v3 had shown to have a power draw of 98.12wAC max from the wall. Yeah. that's under 300wDC during synthetic loads. Power draw during gaming will be lower, so yeah, while it may not by any means be the best power supply, the CX600M should be able to handle that.

A CX for a GTX 970 is not recommended. It can surely handle the wattage, that isn't the concern, but a continuous output rating of 30C is what is to concern anyone with a hotter GPU.

There are multiple revisions of the CX series of every wattage bar the 400W (EDIT: 850W as well). So this doesn't hold true to all CX600Ms and then, when someone buys one on, say, Amazon, they could be getting a revision 1 CX600M or a newer, better one.

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks!  :) 

Finally someone that does actually explain that stuff. Most people just tell me I'm an idiot and that the CX is bs.  :rolleyes:

Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks!  :) 

Finally someone that does actually explain that stuff. Most people just tell me I'm an idiot and that the CX is bs.  :rolleyes:

Actually I should re-write that cuz I had the revisions thing wrong. Anyways, I still would remove a CX from a 970 system.

I'm being commented on my intelligence by asking a general question, fantastic.

Been running one for two years

OC'ed cpu and R9 290

It's fine.

Actually I should re-write that cuz I had the revisions thing wrong. Anyways, I still would remove a CX from a 970 system.

Suppose one were to run a CX600 in a system with a GTX 970 that pulls around 300-325 watts from the wall during gaming with an overclocked CPU in a generally pretty cool 19-20 C basement. Is that acceptable?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Suppose one were to run a CX600 in a system with a GTX 970 that pulls around 300-325 watts from the wall during gaming with an overclocked CPU in a generally pretty cool 19-20 C basement. Is that acceptable?

Well first of all there's very little chance that with a 970 system you're actually drawing that much power but anyways.

Some BIOSes have a built in feature where they can tell you how hot your case is. Check that for a rough guide as to how hot the ambient temps are at idle. I say as a ten-foot guideline - take half the temperature of your GPU under load (in Celcius). Your PSU should be rated to handle that. So, for my case, my 7770 GHz gets to 66 Celsius so it would be ideal to have one that can take 35C or higher for long periods of time. Keep in mind a 7770 GHz doesn't produce lots off heat and I have a very weak amount of airflow in my system.

Well first of all there's very little chance that with a 970 system you're actually drawing that much power but anyways.

Some BIOSes have a built in feature where they can tell you how hot your case is. Check that for a rough guide as to how hot the ambient temps are at idle. I say as a ten-foot guideline - take half the temperature of your GPU under load (in Celcius). Your PSU should be rated to handle that. So, for my case, my 7770 GHz gets to 66 Celsius so it would be ideal to have one that can take 35C or higher for long periods of time. Keep in mind a 7770 GHz doesn't produce lots off heat and I have a very weak amount of airflow in my system.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the voltage at the outlets in my house is around 126-129 V instead of around 120, and that makes things draw a bit more power. Also, I did overclock my GTX 970 a bit; around +150 MHz on the core, if I recall(I'm at college right now, so I don't exactly have access to it), along with a slight voltage increase. Also, since I'm at college, those were sort of ballpark numbers. And I forget if that also included my monitor and speakers, since I have the meter reading from a power strip and not just the individual plugs.

Anyways, as far as half the GPU temps goes, that'd be 31 C(last recording I remember after I played a game for a couple hours.) How much wattage capacity would I lose if the CX600 got to 35C, and would there be a risk of destroying the PSU at that temp?

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the voltage at the outlets in my house is around 126-129 V instead of around 120, and that makes things draw a bit more power. Also, I did overclock my GTX 970 a bit; around +150 MHz on the core, if I recall(I'm at college right now, so I don't exactly have access to it), along with a slight voltage increase. Also, since I'm at college, those were sort of ballpark numbers. And I forget if that also included my monitor and speakers, since I have the meter reading from a power strip and not just the individual plugs.

Anyways, as far as half the GPU temps goes, that'd be 31 C(last recording I remember after I played a game for a couple hours.) How much wattage capacity would I lose if the CX600 got to 35C, and would there be a risk of destroying the PSU at that temp?

If you're overclocking and increasing voltage as well as having a rather unstable input voltage I'd strongly suggest looking into something better. I use to run a TT 630W under similar conditions and ended up replacing it before it decided to kill itself. While TT are crappy, that one was rated @ 35*C and it was still barely cutting it.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

That's the CX750/850 you're thinking about.

CX850 doesn't exist

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

That's 850M not 850

Kappa

Same crap.