I know this an stupid qustion, But....

noone394
Go to solution Solved by VioDuskar,

so before I get criticized for this but i always wondered if you could take two of the same company but different models and be able to use them both. 

But Not using them in sli/crossfire. But to use them both in for different tasks

you can run any two cards of any type and any generation if you do not intend to use them for the same purpose. 

the only limitation is that if you run a radeon and a Nvidia card some proprietary things like Nvidia PhysX will not allow you to enable them. 

so before I get criticized for this but i always wondered if you could take two of the same company but different models and be able to use them both. 

But Not using them in sli/crossfire. But to use them both in for different tasks

Yeah. as long as their the same gpu

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography"

Yes.

OP is not using CF. It doesn't matter at that point.

If not in SLI/CF, you can use different GPUs with no problem.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

in case of GPU's maybe not... not sure about CPU's though...

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

he mean different models

yes you can

you can have a Titan for rendering and a GTX 980 for gaming

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

yes you can...

but it really isn't smart..

it is like putting and HDD & SSD in RAID-0.

in case of GPU's maybe not... not sure about CPU's though...

you can have a quadro and a geforce in one PC

both will work fine with the drivers

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

yes you can...

but it really isn't smart..

it is like putting and HDD & SSD in RAID-0.

read carefully

he say different task

so thats means i could take an; say lets take an gtx 960 and gtx 750 and both be in the same computer? and if so whats the benefit from doing so?

you can have a quadro and a geforce in one PC

both will work fine with the drivers

but let us say that he uses a 970 with a 950....

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

read carefully

he say different task

Yeah....

my analogy still applies.

Why get different models? it can lead to hardware interference, as incompatibilities.

you can run any two cards of any type and any generation if you do not intend to use them for the same purpose. 

the only limitation is that if you run a radeon and a Nvidia card some proprietary things like Nvidia PhysX will not allow you to enable them. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Yeah....

my analogy still applies.

Why get different models? it can lead to hardware interference, as incompatibilities.

having a shitload of monitors. 

using one for rendering/ compiling/ mining/ folding. and using the other for the daily driver. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

but let us say that he uses a 970 with a 950....

it the same!

pretty much this sums it up

having a shitload of monitors. 

using one for rendering/ compiling/ mining/ folding. and using the other for the daily driver. 

Yeah no..

Why not just get a display adapter?

And besides, once why would you want the higher cpu usage, higher power-draw, and have a louder system.

Yeah no..

Why not just get a display adapter?

And besides, once why would you want the higher cpu usage, higher power-draw, and have a louder system.

because you've filled up all of the ports on the first card and have a cheap 2ndary card laying around. and about 4 spare monitors. 

well the reason that i ask this because i cannot test this theory out with my current setup #polishedturd

because you've filled up all of the ports on the first card and have a cheap 2ndary card laying around. and about 4 spare monitors. 

Why do you need four extra displays?

Again, higher power-draw.

but this is great to know that you could do this, but the benefit wont be worth the cost to do so

Why do you need four extra displays?

Again, higher power-draw.

because you frickin want them. 

no one cares about power draw when you add extra monitors to a rig. stop it. 

but this is great to know that you could do this, but the benefit wont be worth the cost to do so

usually it for rendering PCs which need the power of a Quadro or Titan

and doulbe up as a gaming PC so the GTX 980Ti does the job

in 75% of the cases where this happens the cost is next to nothing, people do this most with extra random GPUs they have laying around.