full sized GPU in 2U rack

Skeletonfish

hi guys,

im building a computer to control screens for concerts and shows. im looking for a 2u rack mountable case that can accommodate a full height GPU?

thanks in advance

hi guys,

im building a computer to control screens for concerts and shows. im looking for a 2u rack mountable case that can accommodate a full height GPU?

thanks in advance

Nope.  A standard rack unit is 44.45mm tall, and 2 would be 3.5 inches, whereas a full height PCIE card is 4.21 inches.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

You'll need one that can mount it parallel with the motherboard, any reason you can't go with a low profile gpu instead?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Nope. A standard rack unit is 44.45mm tall, and 2 would be 3.5 inches, whereas a full height PCIE card is 4.21 inches.

I think there are some cases that have the PCIE card sit sideways

You know that guy that games on a MacBook? I'm that guy.

Nope.  A standard rack unit is 44.45mm tall, and 2 would be 3.5 inches, whereas a full height PCIE card is 4.21 inches.Ya 

Ya i know. but what about turning the gpu on its side like alot of the new itx cases

You need a riser card for this kind of application.  I recommend them over ribbon cables because it's more secure in terms of not moving around.

You'll need one that can mount it parallel with the motherboard, any reason you can't go with a low profile gpu instead?

i could go low profile card, but i havent seen one that can do 3 hdmi outputs

go with a riser

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I think there are some cases that have the PCIE card sit sideways

You need a riser card for this kind of application.  I recommend them over ribbon cables because it's more secure in terms of not moving around.

Mount it parallelle to your motherboard and you'll be fine.

go with a riser

That is what i was hoping to do. do you guys know of any cases that allow that to happen or will i have to build something?

That is what i was hoping to do. do you guys know of any cases that allow that to happen or will i have to build something?

all of them? you will have to cut out a bracket for the GPU though. also recommend a grill where the GPU fans are and getting something blower style

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

found one:

Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811192392&cm_re=2u_full_height_expansion-_-11-192-392-_-Product

Manufacturer - http://athenapower.com/product/ipc-rackmount-chassis/2u-rackmount/rm-2u2064

NOTE: I have never used this case, and have never heard of the brand. I can not guarantee that it is a quality case, and take no responsibility if you don't like it.

found one:

Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811192392&cm_re=2u_full_height_expansion-_-11-192-392-_-Product

Manufacturer - http://athenapower.com/product/ipc-rackmount-chassis/2u-rackmount/rm-2u2064

NOTE: I have never used this case, and have never heard of the brand. I can not guarantee that it is a quality case, and take no responsibility if you don't like it.

thanks man! ill look into it. i might end up just doing a half height card workstation card like the W4100 but thats probably overkill

thanks man! ill look into it. i might end up just doing a half height card workstation card like the W4100 but thats probably overkill

I think you should really go for a full height card. You can get better, more reliable ones. You don't want to have those screens go blank in the middle of a show, lol