Which R9 390?

cclau

I want to buy an r9 390, but I don't know which one to get. I plan on water cooling in the future, but the Msi r9 390 does not have any water block currently out or planned to come out. The Asus r9 390 (not the STRIX) does have a water block currently out. I do not know which one to get. Is the Msi r9 390 better, and if so, how much? Is it worth the performance trade off?

Msi: icon_87336.jpg Asus:asus-radeon-r9-390x-directcu-ii-8gb.jpg

sapphire nitro 390

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

I want to buy an r9 390, but I don't know which one to get. I plan on water cooling in the future, but the Msi r9 390 does not have any water block currently out or planned to come out. The Asus r9 390 (not the STRIX) does have a water block currently out. I do not know which one to get. Is the Msi r9 390 better, and if so, how much? Is it worth the performance trade off?

If you're planning to buy a water block later, you might as well just get the cheapest one. I would not recommend a STRIX cooler for a 390 (it's not very good for the higher TDP,) and I think there's  a reference block out already. I think both of those are reference PCB, so you can get either. (somebody correct me if I am wrong.)

I used to be quite active here.

xfx

btw nitro 39 0have water block from alphacool

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

xfx

btw nitro 39 0have water block from alphacool

can you link me to where i can buy the card and block?

Sapphire or MSI, do NOT get Asus

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

cheapest non asus non gigabyte

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Sapphire or MSI ... avoid ASUS.

Sapphire or MSI, do NOT get Asus

cheapest non asus non gigabyte

What makes the Asus cards so bad?

The took a 780 cooler and slapped it on R9 cards 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

RiP - that explain it?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

PowerColor, XFX, Asus use reference designs so you'll have a full block available for those. 

Take note that XFX has a certain revision of cards that are not compatible with ek waterblocks.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

They used to put cooler from GTX 780 right onto R9 cards from AMD and there was not full compatibility with the PCB and chip so it had worse cooling. I dont know if this is still issue but even if not then ASUS is often guilty of skimping on VRM cooling and MSI R9 390 has some really well made VRM cooling and its cooler also performs better than ASUS one.

PowerColor, XFX, Asus use reference designs so you'll have a full block available for those. 

Take note that XFX has a certain revision of cards that are not compatible with ek waterblocks.  

Is there a way for me to check if the card I picked has the revisions that are not compatible?

can you link me to where i can buy the card and block?

im from malaysia i cant get my hands on one tho sorry about that i dont know where to get. but you can go overclock.net 390/390x club and ask i know someone have it alrd.

CPU:  i7 4770k @ overclocked to 4.4ghz             GPU: Intel HD4600                                                                SSD: Kingston V300 120GB (OS)                   Cooler:  Corsair H100i GTX
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolve (Black)                RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Dominator Platinium 2133mhz  HDD: 1TB Seagate                                            Mouse: Logitech G502
OS:     Windows 10                                                      PSU: Corsair RM850i 80+ Gold                                          Motherboard:  AsusZ97 Pro Gamer              Keyboard: Vortex Pok3r 3

Is there a way for me to check if the card I picked has the revisions that are not compatible?

I suggest asking your questions in this thread http://www.overclock.net/t/1561704/official-amd-r9-390-390x-owners-club

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Actually since ASUS's 290X(or 290) they decided to use some 'New technology' that is put the copper tune directly connect to the core.(and I have no idea what that is).I guess they want to card to be cooler ...?And I don't think ASUS's designers are that bad. But the results is ,their 200 series cards are actually hotter than other brand's cards. Just like reference cards...And they still insist their technology so I'd suggest avoid Asus when it comes to AMD's card. But ASUS's Nvidia cards are good, so just Amd's card goes wrong

CPU:Intel Core i7-5930K @4.5GGPU: 2 of MSI R9 390X GAMING 8G Graphics Card crossfire   Mobo:ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH X99    Ram:Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz  SSD:2 of Samsung 850 Pro 512GB WatercoolerCorsair Hydro Series H100i GTX  CaseCorsair Graphite Series 780T   PSU: EVGA 1000 P2  80+platinum  Keyboard:Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB black Monitor: LG277MU67 4K IPS FREESYNC

Actually since ASUS's 290X(or 290) they decided to use some 'New technology' that is put the copper tune directly connect to the core.(and I have no idea what that is).I guess they want to card to be cooler ...?And I don't think ASUS's designers are that bad. But the results is ,their 200 series cards are actually hotter than other brand's cards. Just like reference cards...And they still insist their technology so I'd suggest avoid Asus when it comes to AMD's card. But ASUS's Nvidia cards are good, so just Amd's card goes wrong

980 Тi Strix is also a crappy re-use of the Fury's cooler. The size of the plate that connects to the chip is 2x the 980 Ti's die size - mainly since the Fury's die is much bigger. They don't put in any effort anymore. The main issue with the *90(x) series from AMD is that Asus don't cool the VRMs or VRAM resulting in overheating as they overvolt the VRAM.

980 Тi Strix is also a crappy re-use of the Fury's cooler. The size of the plate that connects to the chip is 2x the 980 Ti's die size - mainly since the Fury's die is much bigger. They don't put in any effort anymore. The main issue with the *90(x) series from AMD is that Asus don't cool the VRMs or VRAM resulting in overheating as they overvolt the VRAM.

Thanks! Learn some stuff today...So it's strange  I still don't know why they act like this because in my opinion Asus is one of the most biggest hardware producer in the world...And owns some large factory and way bigger than some other company like Sapprine or XFX

CPU:Intel Core i7-5930K @4.5GGPU: 2 of MSI R9 390X GAMING 8G Graphics Card crossfire   Mobo:ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH X99    Ram:Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz  SSD:2 of Samsung 850 Pro 512GB WatercoolerCorsair Hydro Series H100i GTX  CaseCorsair Graphite Series 780T   PSU: EVGA 1000 P2  80+platinum  Keyboard:Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB black Monitor: LG277MU67 4K IPS FREESYNC

Thanks! Learn some stuff today...So it's strange  I still don't know why they act like this because in my opinion Asus is one of the most biggest hardware producer in the world...And owns some large factory and way bigger than some other company like Sapprine or XFX

$$$$ - that's the reason :D

ASUS did a pretty good job for their DirectCU3 R9 Fury though.