Can someone find my home address though my IP?

mbryant

I was in an anonymous chat online recently seeking advice on something. No account, no log in. The user's last question to me was "where are you from" I responded with Texas with no intent on divulging any further. Then they stopped responding. Could I be in any sort of danger?

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Lol no.

EDIT: btw, in texas you can shoot people who step on your ground without permission, so I see NO reason to worry about.

Lol no.

EDIT: btw, in texas you can shoot people who step on your ground without permission, so I see NO reason to worry about.

Haha I know, I was fairly certain and if I weren't worried for the safety of my GF then it wouldn't bother me. I just get really paranoid sometimes especially knowing how fucked up some people on the internet are. I should mention the chat box identified me as "guest####" Could any user have obtained my ip adress VIA that? I have herd of ip based attacks and viruses. However I also know the internet does not work the way it is portrayed in CSI NCIS and other crime shows lol. As a stated I just get paranoid 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

Lol no.

Actually I'm pretty sure you can be narrowed down to a house +- a few houses with an IP, but it depends on the area and it can be hit or miss.  However, I would not assume they are out to get you, I would not assume they know your IP, and like the post above says, Texas is awesome like that and I kind of wish we had that here :)

Update: I just ran this site on myself and it's off by about 0.5 km, but still, not bad

Edited by Ryan_Vickers

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Actually I'm pretty sure you can be narrowed down to a house +- a few houses with an IP, but it depends on the area and it can be hit or miss.  However, I would not assume they are out to get you, I would not assume they know your IP, and like the post above says, Texas is awesome like that and I kind of wish we had that here :)

Some site articles say a big fat "HELL NO" some say that your home address can be found that way. As you stated I'm sure the person is not out to get me, but paranoid here so yeah lol

EDIT: I hear ISP's can only divulge that info under court order (obviously) but meh I dunno lol

Lol no.

Maybe they stopped responding because they felt they were in danger. :D

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

yeah, but what if you are going to a friends, but get the wrong address, walk up to the door and get shot

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

yeah, but what if you are going to a friends, but get the wrong address, walk up to the door and get shot

The thing is though if that law was here, it would work better because, you know, polite canadians :)  It owuld only get used in situations where you actually need it

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

YES, anyone CAN find your address. It's not easy (and it's illegal), but if you are stimulated enough you CAN find everything...

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

The thing is though if that law was here, it would work better because, you know, polite canadians :)  It owuld only get used in situations where you actually need it

Dude we have a few canadian clients where I work and they called us and were asking why something we were providing for them wasn't working and my boss was like "are they mad" I said "How would I be able to tell? They are canadian." OF course I do not often use the typical "canadian" stereotype unless it's just a joke of course, and it's nice to see canadians like you and Linus embrace it. 

Also cause for more paranoia, 1 anon user and 1 guest are viewing this O.o

Also cause for more paranoia, 1 anon user and 1 guest are viewing this O.o

Definitely too paranoid  ;)

I was in an anonymous chat online recently seeking advice on something. No account, no log in. The user's last question to me was "where are you from" I responded with Texas with no intent on divulging any further. Then they stopped responding. Could I be in any sort of danger?

You're more likely to get stalked by some weird person who asks for personal information that you met on the street, in a store, or overheard at a checkout counter.  I'm sure you're fine.

That being said though... if you're really that paranoid about it, then don't give out personal information, period. IRL or online. 

You're more likely to get stalked by some weird person who asks for personal information that you met on the street, in a store, or overheard at a checkout counter.  I'm sure you're fine.

That being said though... if you're really that paranoid about it, then don't give out personal information, period. IRL or online. 

Yeah I tend to stray away from that and I didn't feel like abything was wrong until the user stopped responding. 

If they can find your home address via an IP they didnt have to ask you a single thing to get that info.

You're fine

There is a million and 1 reasons they would stop replying to a chat with a random stranger.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Fortify yourself up in your basement/room with a shotgun and hope for the best.

They can definitely find your address with your IP, but I doubt that's what is happening here.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

In the UK, with a dynamic IP, no (unless its a court order given to the ISP). If it's a static IP then most likely yes - nothing approximate though - but only mainly businesses and big organisations use static IPs. My own IP shows up as Central London - and that's a 3 hour bus ride from here.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

They can't narrow down to your house using your IP and that only. The closest they can get is your node, which is the box that splits your ISP's main line off into all the smaller ones that go to the customers in the area. The node is usually within a 5 mile radius of you but can vary a bit. They won't be able to get any more specific than that without obtaining other, more detailed information about you through other means :)

They can't narrow down to your house using your IP and that only. 

Really? Are you sure? I need only 2-3 things to point your house:

1- To live in same country as you. No matter how far from you- just to be in same country.

2- Your IP of course, dynamic IP is no problem at all...

3- A little time (don't like to rush) & no more than $200 for "stimulating" some people...

Is it legal- of course it's NOT.

Is it possible- of course it IS.

Is it easy- YES, it's easy. A dull story + some cash for a "favor" can get you so many things... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Without any social engineering involved, it mostly depends on your ISP. One could traceroute but would only go so far and not really all the way to your home address. Pretty close, though. I wouldn't worry too much, but if you are, you could always check with your ISP as that's the easier way for someone to get that sort of info. For the future, if you think a site is questionable you could use free VPNs or even Tor to be safer, though not completely.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

If they could do that, they wouldn't bother asking. Don't worry about it.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.