Upgraded CPU MOBO RAM, terrible performance and input lag playing games

BMXerDan
Go to solution Solved by Skander1345,

Clean windows install when changing mobo and cpu is highly recommended. Do that.

THEN we can talk about some component being faulty.

I upgraded my motherboard, RAM and CPU the other day and have had nothing but problems

Old Computer:

Asus P8Z77-M

Intel i5 3570K

Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB 1600MHz (2x8GB)

H80i

GTX 980

Corsair AX760

120 GB Corsair Force GS SSD

Windows 10 Pro

New Computer:

Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM EDITION

Intel i7 6700K

Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2666MHz (4x4GB)

H100i GTX

GTX 980

Corsair AX760

120 GB Corsair Force GS SSD

Windows 10 Pro

Corsair K70 RGB

Corsair M65 RGB

After putting the new motherboard, CPU and RAM in I have had what seems to be less performance that I would have thought moving to a new gen i7 from an i5.

My CPU usage seems to be fairly higher than I would expect when idle, anything from 7% to 40% and then it jumps all over the place when I'm doing something, for example watching a twitch stream its over the place up in the 80%+

That however is not the main problem I am having. I am not able to play any of the games I have due to some strange mouse input lag. When I try to play a game, I can move about fine and "play" the game with just the keyboard, as soon as I try and use my mouse it feels like it's queueing up my inputs then dragging my pointer through thick custard rendering games unplayable. This does not happen whilst just using windows unless the CPU usage goes up quite high then the mouse moves a bit weird but nothing as bad as in game.

I have installed all the motherboard drivers I can, even installed the latest BIOS for updates sake, all the rest of the drivers are up to date.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled a load of drivers,

I have tried using a different mouse (same result)

I have tried running everything as slim as possible by closing whatever I didn't need running thinking it might be an application causing it

As a last resort I think I will have to reinstall windows but I don't want to do that yet if there is something I can do to fix whatever is wrong.

Does anyone know what could be wrong or have any ideas what I can try next to fix. I think I have explained the problem enough to understand, if I have not just ask more haha

Thanks in advance

was your previous CPU OC?

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

was your previous CPU OC?

Previous CPU was overclocked yes.

Previous CPU was overclocked yes.

is your new CPU OC yet?

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

is your new CPU OC yet?

I started with it all stock 4.0GHz (Had the problem)

Overclocked to 4.5GHz (Still have the problem) 

Returned to stock speed (Still have the problem)

I started with it all stock 4.0GHz (Had the problem)

Overclocked to 4.5GHz (Still have the problem) 

Returned to stock speed (Still have the problem)

hmm... are your temps abnormal?

based on the fact that you got that OC out of it, and the input lag, im guessing its a faulty MoBo

Solitaire. 

Clean windows install when changing mobo and cpu is highly recommended. Do that.

Case: Define R4 (Black - Window) | PSU: EVGA Supernova 850w Gold | Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) | CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) Delidded with CLU  GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI | Cooler: Corsair H100i with CLU | Extra: NZXT Hue

hmm... are your temps abnormal?

based on the fact that you got that OC out of it, and the input lag, im guessing its a faulty MoBo

Temps are not at all abnormal

Stressing it, 100% load and it never went over 50°C

I have a new SSD on the way, I will use that to reinstall Windows, I just wanted to see if I could fix it instead of going through the ball ache of reinstalling the OS and everything else.

Although, I didn't know it would be a problem not reinstalling the OS with a new mobo and cpu

Temps are not at all abnormal

Stressing it, 100% load and it never went over 50°C

yeah, either the Motherboard or (as @Skander1345 said) a software fluke

Solitaire. 

I have a new SSD on the way, I will use that to reinstall Windows, I just wanted to see if I could fix it instead of going through the ball ache of reinstalling the OS and everything else.

Although, I didn't know it would be a problem not reinstalling the OS with a new mobo and cpu

It wouldn't be if driver uninstalls were perfect.

Case: Define R4 (Black - Window) | PSU: EVGA Supernova 850w Gold | Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) | CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) Delidded with CLU  GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI | Cooler: Corsair H100i with CLU | Extra: NZXT Hue

It wouldn't be if driver uninstalls were perfect.

yeah, either the Motherboard or (as @Skander1345 said) a software fluke

Ha yea, fair enough.

I will install fresh on my new SSD when it comes and report back whether or not it has solved the problem

Thanks for helping out, hopefully I won't need any further assistance in a few days

Ha yea, fair enough.

I will install fresh on my new SSD when it comes and report back whether or not it has solved the problem

Thanks for helping out, hopefully I won't need any further assistance in a few days

one last tip, did you contact your motherboard manufacturer with the issue?

Solitaire. 

one last tip, did you contact your motherboard manufacturer with the issue?

No, this is the first time/place I've reached out for help

No, this is the first time/place I've reached out for help

did you run the out of box experience before putting the new hardware in, or just stick it together?

~snip~

Hey there MBXerDan,

I'd try doing a complete fresh install of the OS and then try benchmarking the CPU's performance to see if it's performing properly or it is defective. Check if the computer performs the same in safe mode too. 
Checking your memory, GPU and storage drives if they are performing properly is not a bad idea either. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

As said my update post fresh Windows install

Everything is working fine now, no high CPU usage or spikes and my mouse is as smooth as silk.

That's the last time I leave windows installed with a significant hardware upgrade. Windows 10 is also so much faster with a fresh install as opposed to an upgrade

Thanks for the help people

~snip~

Glad to hear you've got it resolved. :)

Having the old OS with new hardware inside your computer usually causes compatibility problems and driver issues. This is why it is always suggested that you do a fresh install after such upgrade. The OS usually runs faster as it's cleaned by old update files, outdated drivers and unneeded software. :)
Post back if you happen to have any problems or questions. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/