Help wanted for a recommended GPU Setup and GPUs for Gaming and Video Editing (including VFX)

(Mainly talking NVidia GPUs here, but I will not rule out AMD GPUs)

I was wondering if any of you guys could help me decide on which GPU setup/config (single or multi) and GPUs I should get for a Gaming/Editing Rig in the near future as soon as I am able to get the budget for it.

4K is already becoming an unofficial standard, more prominently for video/movie content (games are getting there if I'm not mistaken).

I am fully aware that CUDA cores affect how Video Editing software performs, so CUDA cores are an important feature from the GPUs that I will need (I know CUDA cores come standard with GeForce and Workstation GPUs, but what I'm saying is, the more CUDA cores, the better for me).

And what's recommended for 4K rendering is a minimum of 8GB of GDDR5 RAM. More would be better of course.

Plus, I need the GPU setup to be 4K/60p ready. I want the GPUs to be able to output 4K @ 60 FPS. I would also want to have a dual-monitor setup along with it as well (since dual-monitor setups have been proven to be extremely useful for video editors like myself (maybe I could make it a triple-monitor setup for gaming as well instead of a dual-monitor setup).

Since I mentioned that I want my future rig to be a Gaming and Editing rig, that means that I only want to look for the GeForce cards that are capable (even future GPUs like them) of Gaming and a smooth-as-possible workflow for Video Editing.

With that being said, please help me decide. Thank you. :)

2 way will give you the best for your money. triple or quad has terrible scaling and i wouldnt recommend it

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Single or two way, depends on your setup, I personally I prefer 1 card, but it depends on your price range as 2 cards can easily take the day, 3 and 4 are out though as bad scaling along with stutter and other issues are common

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

2 way will give you the best for your money. triple or quad has terrible scaling and i wouldnt recommend it

I see. But what about when it comes to performance in general and even video rendering?

Well really, get a GTX Titan X because that has the most physical Cuda cores. However, with most editing programs SLI/Crossfire will not stack the amount of Cuda cores with let's say two cards or something. Budget would help too.

I see. You sure just one GTX Titan X (or Z, or whatever comes in the future) would suffice?

Single or two way, depends on your setup, I personally I prefer 1 card, but it depends on your price range as 2 cards can easily take the day, 3 and 4 are out though as bad scaling along with stutter and other issues are common

I'm not sure how 3 - 4 way will cause bad scaling for video editing and gaming. Is it really that bad?

I'm not sure how 3 - 4 way will cause bad scaling for video editing and gaming. Is it really that bad?

The scaling and stutter are a game issue, the other issues associated with 3/4 way are heat related mostly as you have to cool all those cards which could decrease the benefit of each card added, 2 usually is workable but 3 and 4 leads to issues, also you said you'd like to game so 3 and 4 way are not good for that at all, 1 or 2 stronger cards is the way to go for now.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

A single card is ALWAYS the most ideal solution. 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Well, I'm not 100% sure, but based off of my own testing that's what I found out. I would honestly look into it. Granted, I just use Adobe Premier Pro CC 2015 and GPU's don't stack with that program. Look into it.

I've just looked up on some thread on the Adobe forums regarding SLI and CUDA cores and it looked like from there, that SLI is not compatible with Adobe software.

Well, I'm not 100% sure, but based off of my own testing that's what I found out. I would honestly look into it. Granted, I just use Adobe Premier Pro CC 2015 and GPU's don't stack with that program. Look into it.

The scaling and stutter are a game issue, the other issues associated with 3/4 way are heat related mostly as you have to cool all those cards which could decrease the benefit of each card added, 2 usually is workable but 3 and 4 leads to issues, also you said you'd like to game so 3 and 4 way are not good for that at all, 1 or 2 stronger cards is the way to go for now.

A single card is ALWAYS the most ideal solution. 

So what I've getting from you three is that a single, high-end (even the highest-end) GPU would fit my needs perfectly, correct?

YOLO, 4 way it bb

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

So what I've getting from you three is that a single, high-end (even the highest-end) GPU would fit my needs perfectly, correct?

In a nutshell yes, really your budget is a factor to which cards but 1 really good card or 2 good cards is your best bet, and if the 1 card= the 2 cards (for editing), the one card is a better solution in terms of games, however if you plan to go for a high budget 2 good  cards would be better. (beyond $650 imo)

In case you guys haven't read my first post on the thread, at least 8GB of VRAM is needed for 4K editing/rendering (even 4K/60p).

IMO I'd just go for a 980 Ti. There's no reason ton consider the TITAN X unless you really want the extra VRAM, which I don't think you will need. It's a lot more expensive without any real benefit.

Well, the extra VRAM may help in terms of a smoother workflow if I'm not mistaken.