DJI Osmo - a battery-powered handgrip w/ wifi

Aukmed42

DJI has just released information and pricing for the Osmo which is a powered handheld gimble, very similar(if not the same, but with a grip) to the one implemented in the Inspire 1.

"The Osmo is a battery-powered handgrip with built-in Wi-Fi and camera controls. For Inspire 1 owners, you'll be able to use its camera and gimbal assembly off the quadcopter and lock it onto Osmo. You'll also be able to buy an Osmo with a version of the Zenmuse X3 camera. The main difference between the two is that the Osmo camera's focus is set to 1 meter (3.3 feet) whereas the Inspire 1's is set to infinity. The Osmo will also work with the Zenmuse X5 cameras."

There are locks on the gimble so it doesn't break while not in use. The camera takes a moment to start and "is ready to record in a few seconds, but it takes about 20 seconds for the Wi-Fi to get up and running." The wifi will allow connectivity with Apple and Android phones where it can be used as a screen and be used for fine tuning settings. As far as buying it, "The DJI Osmo can be ordered now direct from DJI for $650 and £550 and will begin shipping October 15. Availability and pricing for Australia wasn't immediately available, but the UK price converts to about AU$1,165."

Spec overview:

Fully stabilized 4K, 12Mp camera optimized for ground use
Tripod-free long exposures
Remote camera control
Ergonomic, secure grip
Suite of accessories including bike & car mount, tripod, extension stick and phone mount
6-hour standby time
1 hour of video shooting

Sauce:

CNET Article

DJI Osmo Store page

Evil exists where good men fail to act.

Damn, that looks really cool. I wish they had an option without a camera, so you could put your smartphone/point-&-shoot camera on it and make somewhat acceptable videos.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I just want it without the camera, that would make it worthwhile, a gopro mounted to that and then using the bike mount, or attaching it to a backpack for a hike would be bloody good if you ask me.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Damn, that looks really cool. I wish they had an option without a camera, so you could put your smartphone/point-&-shoot camera on it and make somewhat acceptable videos.

I just want it without the camera, that would make it worthwhile, a gopro mounted to that and then using the bike mount, or attaching it to a backpack for a hike would be bloody good if you ask me.

I think you can get it without the camera on it, since they say people with inspire 1's can use the camera from the drone. And you could probably get a 3d printed mount for a phone or go pro, or use one of the go pro mounts that I think they've made (not 100% sure on that, but some of their drones use go pros). 

Evil exists where good men fail to act.

tested did a video on this the other day, looks good

Its all about those volumetric clouds