Static Electricity Question

Go to solution Solved by techguru,

Ill connect the strap to my case, does it mean I dont need to wear shoes while on the carpeted floor?

don't bother..just touch something metal before touching the board

and you are fine

I run a youtube channel and want to do an unboxing of a motherboard in my romm but I have carpet (and I cant get rid of it). Is wearing an antistatic band hooked up to my computer case going to be enough, even if im standing on the carpet?

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

if your PC is off yeah...?

all that matters is that you're grounded.

if you have a spare PSU:

plug it in.

turn it OFF.

connect anti static strap to your wrist/ankle and the PSU.

you're good to go.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

As long as you don't do anything like wear socks and drag your feet along the carpet and then touch the motherboard you should be fine. I'm like 99% sure that Jay from Jayztwocents said he doesn't wear an antistatic strap when he builds computers. But I could be crazy and making that up. Regardless you should be fine as long as you avoid creating excessive friction.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

if your PC is off yeah...?

all that matters is that you're grounded.

if you have a spare PSU:

plug it in.

turn it OFF.

connect anti static strap to your wrist/ankle and the PSU.

you're good to go.

Ill connect the strap to my case, does it mean I dont need to wear shoes while on the carpeted floor?

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

and you are fine

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

and you are fine

Ok then. Thanks