Steam doesn't recognize that I switched my games to another drive. It tries to download a whole new copy of the games.

Hi! I've tried various troubleshooting techniques and I'm close to just downloading everything again on the new drive.

I moved my games' local files to another drive. I start up steam and point it to the right location but it still tries to download a new copy. It gets infuriating.

The games are CSGO and Portal 2.

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

Did you change/add library location in Steam settings?

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

you have to move steam with it or change the file paths in steam

CPU: i7-2600 @ 3.4 ghz  l  Motherboard: ms-7728 l  RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1866MHz  l  GPU: GTX760  l  Case: Phanteks enthoo pro  l  Storage: 250GB crucial bx100 ssd, 500GB Seagate pipeline hdd  l  PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G2  l  Displays: iiyama Prolite E2208HDD, HannStar JC199D  l  Cooling: AVC 92mm downdraft l  Keyboard: P.O.S. keyboard that came with pc in Jan. 2011 l Mouse: Maxxter gaming mouse   Sound: On-Board   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro  l

you could use a dynamic link trick so that it thinks they're still there while being on the other drive

I remembered it's actual name and here's an example if steams path thing doesn't work out 

mklink /d "Saves" "D:\Games\Skyrim\Saves" you have to do this with a cmd app in the folder above the one your switching out

Edited by AresKrieger

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Is it actually downloading the games again, or is it discovering files and than downloading any missing or modified files? The couple of times I've done this its never actually needed to redownload anything.

you could use a dynamic link trick so that it thinks they're still there while being on the other drive

I remembered it's actual name and here's an example if steams path thing doesn't work out 

mklink /d "Saves" "D:\Games\Skyrim\Saves" you have to do this with a cmd app in the folder above the one your switching out

can you post a link to a location that can give us more details on how to do this. Ive had this similar BS issue with steam before. It has even deleted the files I already had and started to re download after the "checking for existing files" 

EDIT: Even Now it wants to delete and reinstall Skyrim but if I use SKSE.exe ,UI mod loader, it works just fine. Same dam files but it tries to delete, re-download and install. Its good I keep redundant backups. 

I will do the best I can to help in any way. However I am not all knowing and realize that I can be wrong. If you know something I said is not factual please speak up and provide myself and otters reading reading the thread with the facts proving it. I'm not just here to help others learn I'm also here to learn myself. "An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest." Benjamin Franklin    

can you post a link to a location that can give us more details on how to do this. Ive had this similar BS issue with steam before. It has even deleted the files I already had and started to re download after the "checking for existing files" 

EDIT: Even Now it wants to delete and reinstall Skyrim but if I use SKSE.exe ,UI mod loader, it works just fine. Same dam files but it tries to delete, re-download and install. Its good I keep redundant backups. 

this guy seems to know what he is doing, I don't have a tutorial link as I learned this via word of mouth

also apparently people call them symbolic links due to adobe having something also called dynamic link

Edited by AresKrieger

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Did you change/add library location in Steam settings?

Okay. I shall try this bit first THEN the dynamic link trick :)

Have you tried restarting your computer?

Yup. It even BSOD-ed  when I tried to play with core clocks lol

you have to move steam with it or change the file paths in steam

I'll try the dynamic link trick first. Personally don't want to move Steam as it might cause some more problems and headaches

Dynamic Linking huh.  Okay, I shall look into this

Is it actually downloading the games again, or is it discovering files and than downloading any missing or modified files? The couple of times I've done this its never actually needed to redownload anything.

It's trying to download a whole new copy. Quite a big hassle for me as 10gb downloads takes a day.

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1