Windows 10! Start menu not working!

lovingGamer

one way to avoid it is to install classic shell (free), and you can get windows xp, vista and 7 style start menu

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

one way to avoid it is to install classic shell (free), and you can get windows xp, vista and 7 style start menu

Can you please link me?

Not gonna lie, I hate MSX. I wish I could go back to windows 7, but it's broken D:

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

What happened? Did you accidentally enabled tablet mode?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Start menu not working!!

How to fix this?!

Restart your system, or restart explorer.

Make sure that your graphics card drivers is fully updated (the Start Menu is GPU rendered now)

If you just upgraded to Windows 10 and the start menu is not working, and you install the latest graphics card drivers, and restarted your system, and also made sure that Windows 10 is fully updated, then it could be that something screwed up in the upgrade process. They are many reasons why it screwed up. It can be due to modified system files or registry from an old infection that you had on the system (keep in mind that A/V and anti-malware solutions only removes the infection, and doesn't fix the system), or you perhaps used start menu replacement software that screwed up with Windows, or other system tweaks. Under such case, it is best to do a clean install. Be sure to you backup all your stuff from the C:\ drive, as that drive will be formatted and all data will disappears when you clean install Windows 10.

You can get Windows 10 for clean install here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

And here is a tutorial on how to do a clean install of Windows 10 without product key, so that the activation servers looks at your hardware and sees if was activated before (it is all automated). Just make sure that Windows 10 is activated now. (Settings > Update & Security > Activation, and it will say if your system is activated), before starting the process.

http://www.howtogeek.com/197559/how-to-install-windows-10-on-your-pc/

Not gonna lie, I hate MSX. I wish I could go back to windows 7, but it's broken D:

We are talking about Windows 10 here, please stay on topic. Thank you.

Have been having the same problem on my laptop as well. Start menu, cortana and notifications not working. I'm currently downloading the latest cumulative update and see how it goes...

We are talking about Windows 10 here, please stay on topic. Thank you.

I think some people have been calling windows 10 as MSX (Microsoft X)

As for the start menu, yeah it can be silly at times. there was a command to get it back working, but it was for the tech preview and I don't have the link anymore.

I think some people have been calling windows 10 as MSX (Microsoft X)

It's called Windows 10. The shorter form is Win10. MSX is a old computer architecture from the 80's and early 90's.

Very popular in many regions in the world, had a nice game library, and many here knows the system and have or had it.

That is like calling Windows 10: PS4.

It's called Windows 10. The shorter form is Win10. MSX is a old computer architecture from the 80's and early 90's.

Very popular in many regions in the world, had a nice game library, and many here knows the system and have or had it.

That is like calling Windows 10: PS4.

Yes, I was just going by what some users said in an another forum post about Windows 10. I do know what a MSX is, had some ports of some NES titles and the best version of Metal Gear on it. 

Edit: I found the code to help get the start menu back going in some cases.

Open an elevated PowerShell window type the following and press Enter:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

To open an elevated PowerShell prompt, type PowerShell in taskbar Search, and in the result ‘Windows Powershell’ which appears, right-click and select Run as administrator.

• 1 month later...

sooo... now im having this problem.... anyone have a fix for this yet...

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

sooo... now im having this problem.... anyone have a fix for this yet...

Update your graphics card drivers.

It has happened to me before. Mostly when updating Windows 7 or 8.1 PCs to Windows 10, but it has also happened after installing updates to the O.S. I tried countless "fixes" found online, but none of them worked for me.

The best way to fix these problems is just to back up your data and perform a clean install of Windows 10. Sadly, it is usually the only way to fix some of these problems. I hope you are able to find another solution, since I know it can be frustrating.

Start menu not working!!

How to fix this?! 

Open task manager, close Cortana, try again.  It's a known bug.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

It has happened to me before. Mostly when updating Windows 7 or 8.1 PCs to Windows 10, but it has also happened after installing updates to the O.S. I tried countless "fixes" found online, but none of them worked for me.

The best way to fix these problems is just to back up your data and perform a clean install of Windows 10. Sadly, it is usually the only way to fix some of these problems. I hope you are able to find another solution, since I know it can be frustrating.

contacted Microsoft directly... they walked me through some "fixes" (that i had already done) and then eventually told me the only thing to do now is reinstall windows 10... so yeah...

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!