My thoughts on Windows 8.1 so far

orangecat

I have been using Windows 8.1 for about a day and so far I feel like its a completely different OS. nothing is where it used to be on Windows 7 keeping in mind I used Windows 8 for about 20 minutes then it wouldn't boot anymore on my system. Everything seems to work in the Windows 8.1 Preview so far just a few minor bugs with the Modern UI and desktop applications need some configuring to work first. The search function has been vastly improved over Windows 8 and Windows 7. The search feature now induces web searches and suggestions if you spell something wrong. As of right now Windows 8.1 has some serious performance issues but i somewhat expected that from beta software but things like disk usage are very low. The new taskmanager has improved functionality but I don't like the look but I guess I can just deal with it. For the most part I really like Windows 8.1 but there are a few things that bother me that I will have to get used to but the biggest problem for me is nothing looks like its finished software. Windows 8 had this problem for me and it was something I could not stand. Stuff like the taskbar and the Windows Explorer look like they have no clearly defined area for boxes and icons to be. They have removed mostly all the lines and boxes and left flat white space there and put icons and this to me looks very messy. It looks like they started making something and left it. As I get more time with Windows 8.1 I might add more to this thread or start a new one but its been hard for me to make the switch from Windows 7.

Stuff like the taskbar and the Windows Explorer look like they have no clearly defined area for boxes and icons to be. They have removed mostly all the lines and boxes and left flat white space there and put icons and this to me looks very messy. It looks like they started making something and left it. As I get more time with Windows 8.1 I might add more to this thread or start a new one but its been hard for me to make the switch from Windows 7.

Hmm.. I don't understand what you mean?

Also you should not have any performance issue with Windows 8.1. You might not get the same benchmark score as in Windows 7 or 8 due to debug stuff still being in place... but it should not be something significant or even really visual. Something is wrong with your hardware.. maybe it's that unlock BIOS that you made for your graphic card that doesn't play nice, or your OC, or something, or maybe, and most likely,. you forgot to install some drivers. Doesn't mean it works, that it works properly, as it might be using Windows generic drivers, or early release of Windows 8 driver which aren't as optimized as the latest ones.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've noticed, there aren't any major layout differences between Windows 8 and 8.1. You're probably just not used to windows 8 seeing how you came from 7 and only used 8 for like 20 minutes :P

One huge thing I hate about Windows 8.1 is that they got rid of "My Computer" and replaced it with "This PC" I just don't understand it. Also, I don't like the new PC settings. They just seem harder to navigate than the Windows 8 PC settings.

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

One huge thing I hate about Windows 8.1 is that they got rid of "My Computer" and replaced it with "This PC" I just don't understand it. Also, I don't like the new PC settings. They just seem harder to navigate than the Windows 8 PC settings.

Really? Now you are pushing it.

- "This PC", is exactly "My Computer" but with: Document, Picture, Video, Downloads, etc folders being displayed as a shortcut for you. So I call B.S on your claim.

- PC Settings in Windows 8.1 is easier to navigate, you have search visible, and it displays the last changed settings on the home panel of the panel for easy and quick access. So again, I call B.S on your claim.

You are clearly exaggerating.

Really? Now you are pushing it.

- "This PC", is exactly "My Computer" but with: Document, Picture, Video, Downloads, etc folders being displayed as a shortcut for you. So I call B.S on your claim.

- PC Settings in Windows 8.1 is easier to navigate, you have search visible, and it displays the last changed settings on the home panel of the panel for easy and quick access. So again, I call B.S on your claim.

You are clearly exaggerating.

It is not really about it being bad, it is just Microsoft fixing things that weren't broken. In my opinion, PC settings in Windows 8 were awesome. I had no problems whatsoever. With Windows 8.1, it seems like they were just moving stuff around for no reason. When it comes to This PC, it is basically the same. I felt as though there was nothing wrong with my computer, so why change it? I don't think by changing the name and adding a few shortcuts really is necessary. Instead of doing these things, Microsoft should have tried to get us a good desktop start menu to replace their new "start button".

CPU: RYZEN 5 2600   Motherboard: MSI B450I GAMING PLUS AC   Memory: CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 16GB 3200MHZ   Storage: TEAM GROUP MP33 1TB

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW   Case: COOLER MASTER NR200P   PSU: CORSAIR SF600   Mouse: G PRO WIRELESS   Keyboard: ANNE PRO 2

It is not really about it being bad, it is just Microsoft fixing things that weren't broken. In my opinion, PC settings in Windows 8 were awesome. I had no problems whatsoever. With Windows 8.1, it seems like they were just moving stuff around for no reason.

Ah ok. Well, I don't know if you noticed but Windows 8, more than half the settings where missing in PC Settings. Meaning you had to access the Control Panel for the rest. This was hell on a touch screen device such a tablet. This is one of my complaints about Windows 8... where this is not excusable. Clearly this was an afterthought. In Windows 8.1 it's all there. As it's all there, everything had to be reorganized to stay organized. Now, Windows 8.1 is something I can say, it's well done, and complete, and not an afterthought/half ass job. I usually give slack for such thing if it's was a small company, especially if it an just an individual software... 'cause you know.. limited time/resources. But when it comes to Microsoft, my standard are really high.

When it comes to This PC, it is basically the same. I felt as though there was nothing wrong with my computer, so why change it? I don't think by changing the name and adding a few shortcuts really is necessary. Instead of doing these things, Microsoft should have tried to get us a good desktop start menu to replace their new "start button".

There is no reverse with the Start Menu. This is the way forward. Desktop PC are shrinking. It will a small market targeted as: workstation, PC gaming, small-servers. What most people will use, at least in Microsoft eyes, is hybrid devices. Make it be a phone that you plug into a dock station of a touch screen monitor, and the UI changes to adapt to the larger screen, or be that simply tablet turning into laptops. And to bring a step further, I believe that the normal desktop computer setup that you know will change. I expect monitors to be like the Wacom Cintiq. A normal monitor, which you can bring close to you, thanks to a special hinge system, and sit an angle, over your keyboard. Of course, it wont' be a pro grade monitor inside, nor some fancy ~2500 pressure sensitive level detection, but rather maybe 3 or 4, and a high-end consumer grade monitor at best. Such monitor is multi-touch. Basically, this will make the touch experience and the digitize pen experience compliment, the keyboard and mouse, much like the mouse did to the keyboard. I also expect games to utilize such new inputs in the near future. Imagine playing an RTS game, where you can define a plan. Or an FPS or sports game, where you plan a strategy on a map, before starting a match. And I am sure game developers will bring more original ideas and experiences with such inputs than what I mentioned. As for work, well, you can now do math, physics, with great ease, you can sign documents, do diagrams and graphs. All possible now, but a chore to do. This expends in the ability to correct electronic papers with ease (teacher?), or note taking on a ebook for example, and more. Again, complimenting keyboard and mouse, not replacing. Remember that the digitize pen support, is the GOOD pen technology. It has very good to excellent tracking, detect pressure, detect pen eraser and floating about the screen, thin point, all with no conflicts or issues.

I know what you're talking about... I switched from 7 to 8.. The metro (or whatever they want to call it) is very annoying.. Even on laptops with touch screen it's really not convenient to use for me.. But on desktop its stupid.

By the way, is there any way to disable all metro apps.. I hate it when I do something and it jumps me to a metro app..

I know what you're talking about... I switched from 7 to 8.. The metro (or whatever they want to call it) is very annoying.. Even on laptops with touch screen it's really not convenient to use for me.. But on desktop its stupid.

It's because you don't know how to use it, and how to arrange the layout.

This is mine (old screen shot, but the idea is there):

dss.png

By the way, is there any way to disable all metro apps.. I hate it when I do something and it jumps me to a metro app..

That is probably because you skip all those "Some other program can open this file" pop-up, if I am not mistaken. In any case,

Start > type: Default > select: Default Programs.

In the Default Programs panel, click on: Set default programs.

Now your desktop program, and select Set this program as default.

And now it won't open with Modern UI apps anymore.

It's because you don't know how to use it, and how to arrange the layout.

This is mine (old screen shot, but the idea is there):dss.png

That is probably because you skip all those "Some other program can open this file" pop-up, if I am not mistaken. In any case,Start > type: Default > select: Default Programs.

In the Default Programs panel, click on: Set default programs.

Now your desktop program, and select Set this program as default.

And now it won't open with Modern UI apps anymore.

Thanks!