Is there any real differences in evga stock-sc-ssc & FTW versions I light of gaming?

Go to solution Solved by Vellinious,

For the 970s, the difference is in the clock speeds and the FTW comes with a dual bios.  On the original ACX 1.0 versions, those were the only differences.  Exact same power phase, same power limits and same PCB.  If you're not interested in overclocking at all, then it's worth it to buy the higher clocked versions.  If you're going to be overclocking, there are better options...unless you're going to put them under water, and then water block availability comes into play.  

I bought the 970 FTW because of the higher clock speeds, and they had a full coverage block available for them.  The FTW+, which had a better power phase, increased power limits and an 8pin / 6 pin power connectors, instead of 2 x 6 pins.  The full coverage blocks was the deciding factor for me....

That said, after modding the 2nd bios, I'm ecstatic with the performance that I get out of the 970 FTW.  They're VERY good GPUs.

wdlydcm.jpg

Like is it purely a marketing ploy (other than power draw) between the differing evga 970 card. Consider there's a difference of up to $50-$70 between them. I'm mean 1080p gaming, is it worth going the FTW and not just ego stroking? Thanks

Between the normal ACX and up to the FTW cards, there's not much difference other than the higher clocks by default, and some of them supporting dual BIOS. If it's a $50 difference between the FTW and stock (ACX), then just go for ACX. IMO, there's not much point in spending more unless you're going for a properly beefed up card like the Classified version. 

The FTW has a better power phase (VRM) 8+2 on a custom designed PCB. The SC are reference PCBs and standard VRM phases.

The FTW is also shipped with a higher guaranteed clock speed, although the differences aren't big enough to really be bothered about due to GPU Boost 2.0 existing.

Where I live the FTW is only £10 more and I would get that (or ~£20 for a Classified)

For the 970s, the difference is in the clock speeds and the FTW comes with a dual bios.  On the original ACX 1.0 versions, those were the only differences.  Exact same power phase, same power limits and same PCB.  If you're not interested in overclocking at all, then it's worth it to buy the higher clocked versions.  If you're going to be overclocking, there are better options...unless you're going to put them under water, and then water block availability comes into play.  

I bought the 970 FTW because of the higher clock speeds, and they had a full coverage block available for them.  The FTW+, which had a better power phase, increased power limits and an 8pin / 6 pin power connectors, instead of 2 x 6 pins.  The full coverage blocks was the deciding factor for me....

That said, after modding the 2nd bios, I'm ecstatic with the performance that I get out of the 970 FTW.  They're VERY good GPUs.

wdlydcm.jpg

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

wdlydcm.jpg

Probably going to go for the 2978 (FTW no +) version if I can find it here is OZ. Slightly cheaper hopefully, lower power draw, and I don't run big title games other than GTA V at the moment.

I don't OC GPU's - so cooling isn't the greatest problem from my perspective.

So it should do... mad though, I'm building a new system and only want the card until Pascal comes out to see which card proves to be the next big thing. Anyhow... its a hobby. Thanks for the advice.

Probably going to go for the 2978 (FTW no +) version if I can find it here is OZ. Slightly cheaper hopefully, lower power draw, and I don't run big title games other than GTA V at the moment.

I don't OC GPU's - so cooling isn't the greatest problem from my perspective.

So it should do... mad though, I'm building a new system and only want the card until Pascal comes out to see which card proves to be the next big thing. Anyhow... its a hobby. Thanks for the advice.

If you're just going to upgrade to Pascal, why not just buy something cheap to get ya by for a few months?  A 960, or something from the EVGA B Stock?  Some pretty decent stuff in there for pretty cheap.

CPU: Ryzen 1600X @ 4.15ghz  MB: ASUS Crosshair VI Mem: 32GB GSkill TridenZ 3200
GPU: 1080 FTW PSU: EVGA SuperNova 1000P2 / EVGA SuperNova 750P2  SSD: 512GB Samsung 950 PRO
HD: 2 x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0  Cooling: Custom cooling loop on CPU and GPU  OS: Windows 10

If you're just going to upgrade to Pascal, why not just buy something cheap to get ya by for a few months?  A 960, or something from the EVGA B Stock?  Some pretty decent stuff in there for pretty cheap.

Good question - thought on this heaps. The 960 2GB would save me $200.

But I'm trying to limit my rush to get Pascal, so I'm aiming to allow a year or two to let them settle on running specs, etc... So the good 970 now sill be more than enough to keep me happy, and then allow me to indulge later on.

I'm spending a fair whack on a fast Sklyake system, and usually keep my rigs for 5 years or so. So a mid-life GPU Pascal should play with the system I'm planning nicely and see out the system lifespan.