I'm ignorant with audio. I want to build a "custom" home theater system for my pc. My first system. I just need lots of tips, guides, etc. Thanks!

mookie1590
Go to solution Solved by dylan43270,

So many questions... I would suggest with a 2.1 setup and move up from there if you want more.

This and this will give you all the information you will ever need. 

Okay, I want to make a custom home theater system with the audio coming from my pc only. So I have been doing some research and I now know I need a a receiver for this. Does this include an amp, is an amp built into it or do I need to get an amp as well? Do I need a powered sub or not. I heard not to use optical and use rca or 3.5 jacks, is this true? My system does support 7.1. I have a msi gd65 z87 mobo and I use the on-board audio. Should I get a better audio card? I want to sink maybe a grand into this maybe more. Like $400 for a receiver then $100 per speaker. Not really just giving an example. Would it just be better to get a pre built system? Or build m,y own like my pc? Study and do my research. Say I need this receiver, these tower speakers for my front l/f, these speakers for my center, this particular sub, these particular speakers for my rear. That's what I mean when I say custom build. What do all these numbers mean and what do they translate to in the real world. Is it better to get higher or lower ohms in my speakers. If I get tower speakers do I get multiple speakers in that tower. Do they run in a parallel or series circuit. Do I need 2 subs? Do I get the same speakers for front and rear? Or the center? 

Tipes and tricks for this? Buying guides for speakers, centers, subs? What website would you recommend that has an easy way to navigate their site? I don't want to spend 20k but I do want decent. I want to do what I did when I built my pc. when I got paid I would buy a part. one week I got my case, next week I bought ram, saved 2 weeks and got my i7, saved a month and got my 980 ti. I would like to do that to. one week buy the receiver, next week get a tower speaker, next week get another tower speaker until I have all the speakers I need. 

Do I need premium cables. Or should I make my own custom wires? I do solder and even micro solder. I own my own business repairing motherboards. You're mobo goes bad, send it to me where I replace the microscopic resistor using my microscope. Cost like 5 cents to repair. It's a good business. So I can make things custom. And if I need to wire or mod a circuit I can as well. If Anyone thinks I should do that.

My room is super tiny, I don't care how big the speakers are. It will be a tight fit, I have no room I'll cut out the wall if I must. I have my workbench, bed and battle station in a room 7 feet by 15 feet, it is tiny. But do I need acoustic panels or not. My current system is is a logitech z506 75 watt system. I just got a super deal on a so called 600 watt system that actually has a receiver. I'm waiting on it in the mail. I really just wanted it so I could play around and learn so I Can later upgrade to a better system. I don't care about ascetics with the audio. I mean my pc looks fantastic, red/black, etc. If they look good that that is a added bonus. But I'm not paying an extra 5k for looks.

So in conclusion or tldr. I want tips, tricks, buying guides on a home theater system for my pc using tower speakers, receiver, do I need an amp? Places to buy, should I upgrade my sound card to this I'll link. Just everything. 

I mean thank you for anyone willing to read all this and help me. I have so much to learn. I think I'm turning into an audiophile. I used to not care. had crap speakers, and headsets. Then I got this 75 watt 5.1 system and it is a c**k tease and I want more. It's like crack. Thank you all so much.!!!

motherboard that I use with on-board audio. : http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87-GD65-GAMING.html#hero-overview

sound card I have my eye on: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102048

my current 75 watt 5.1 c**k tease: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121057

My new system I'm waiting on: http://www.fingerhut.com/product/RH903.uts REally just got it to play with and learn how all this goes together. And I needed to build credit up on fingerhut. Which is a great place by the way. You pay a lttle more over time but you can make cheap payments.

You just need a receiver, look for one with HDMI input. You will use that for surround.

For speakers, bigger is usually better/more low end.

Powered subwoofer yes.

I encourage you look on craigslist, things are really cheap.

Good receiver brands-

Yahmaha, denon, Onkyo, there are others.

Speakers-

A lot more good brands.

About wires.

No soldering is needed, it just uses wires held in place by spring or screw or banana plug

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

So many questions... I would suggest with a 2.1 setup and move up from there if you want more.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

I would dispense with a center if you are the only listener and you have a static listening position. That'll save you some money right there.

Two subs *may* ensure a more even bass response with fewer room nulls, assuming you take the time to set them up correctly; but unless you are spending $500+ on each sub, it's better to get a single good one to start with.

Awesome. Those reddit links are perfect. Thanks man. Also, awesome profile pic. Tesla is my hero. lol

I would dispense with a center if you are the only listener and you have a static listening position. That'll save you some money right there.

Two subs *may* ensure a more even bass response with fewer room nulls, assuming you take the time to set them up correctly; but unless you are spending $500+ on each sub, it's better to get a single good one to start with.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind

You just need a receiver, look for one with HDMI input. You will use that for surround.

For speakers, bigger is usually better/more low end.

Powered subwoofer yes.

I encourage you look on craigslist, things are really cheap.

Good receiver brands-

Yahmaha, denon, Onkyo, there are others.

Speakers-

A lot more good brands.

About wires.

No soldering is needed, it just uses wires held in place by spring or screw or banana plug

Okay. I'll will ckeck all that out, thanks, bro