My HDD filled up Unexpectedly

Go to solution Solved by samcool55,

Space sniffer! Get that! It will scan your hdd and show them according to their size.

So if a folder is 100gb it's HUGE on your screen, if it's only 1gb it's really tiny :)

edit: here! http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/download.html Get that! Will solve it all!

Please don't get mad if this is in the wrong thread, I wasn't sure where I should post.

Over the weekend, I decided to render some videos because I had just edited it and sent it to a friend. For the first 4-5 times I rendered it, the rendering would fail. After a few hours, it finally rendered out completely and turned out really good.

Here's the catch. Before I started rendering, I had 97.9GB on my 500GB HDD. I had moved the raw file to an external hard drive I had laying around that had about 250GB left on it. The raw file alone was 37GB, so it wasn't a small file by any means. The file was rendered out to the HDD and came up to about 2.7GB. Now for the kicker, my HDD had 4.4GB unused afterwards. I need some kind of leads because browsing for hours hasn't helped me. Software was Sony Vegas 13.

Don't be fooled by the bottom line of my sig, that is just for my travels.

So you're telling me that Gaben is no God? Enough of your foolishness.

My hardware you ask? I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3217 Notebook... With an LG 25UM57.

You could do the tedious thing and sort through all the folders and files...

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

I've been going through all of my folders for the past 2 hours and no luck so far :(

My hardware you ask? I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3217 Notebook... With an LG 25UM57.

Space sniffer! Get that! It will scan your hdd and show them according to their size.

So if a folder is 100gb it's HUGE on your screen, if it's only 1gb it's really tiny :)

edit: here! http://www.uderzo.it/main_products/space_sniffer/download.html Get that! Will solve it all!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

you could try windir stat, it visualizes what is using up how much space

https://windirstat.info/

CPU: Ryzen 3700X VGA: RX 5700 8G RAM: 32GB 3200MT/s DDR4 Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro

Storage: 2x1TB Crucial P2, 1TB Crucial MX500, 36TB NAS Cooling: Custom Loop 360mm & 280mm

PSU: Super Flower Golden Green HX 650W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Thanks for the link. I'm running a full scan now

you could try windir stat, it visualizes what is using up how much space

https://windirstat.info/

This program is great I recommend it to anyone looking to find missing space on a drive.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Thanks for the link. I'm running a full scan now

Shouldn't take too long, couple of minutes and it should be good to go :)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Thanks to everyone here. I used both programs and found it that around 200GB were dedicated to backups within the past month alone. I decided to delete my backups of August early September since my PC hasn't given me many problems recently. I now have 113GB of free space.