PC wakes up from sleep & hibernation

Wiplive

Hello, recently I started having my problem with my PC. It has started to wake up from hibernation and sleep every 5 to 15 minutes.

I have no idea what's causing it. I have included a couple screenshots from the event logs.

post-54733-0-11345100-1442850727.png

post-54733-0-47112200-1442850727.png

What are your suggestions guys? Could it be a new printer I've got? Because it kinda started happening at that time I got a new printer but it's always off, and I only turn it on when I need the occasional print. It's probably just a coincidence. Could it be the installation of Samsung Magician and their High Performance power plan?

Thanks!

I would suggest disabling WakeOnLan, and possibly looking at PCI power management in the power section of windows. Those two settings were waking my machine up constantly.

For windows 7:

1. Click Start VistaStartButton.jpg, type Network and Sharing Center in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
  2. On the Tasks bar, click Change adapter settings.
  3. Right-click the network adapter that you want to configure, and then click Properties. For example, right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
  4. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  5. Click Configure.
  6. If the network adapter supports WOL, click to deselect the Allow this device to wake the computer check box on the Power Management tab.

Any luck with this?

I would suggest disabling WakeOnLan, and possibly looking at PCI power management in the power section of windows. Those two settings were waking my machine up constantly.

For windows 7:

1. Click Start VistaStartButton.jpg, type Network and Sharing Center in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
  2. On the Tasks bar, click Change adapter settings.
  3. Right-click the network adapter that you want to configure, and then click Properties. For example, right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
  4. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  5. Click Configure.
  6. If the network adapter supports WOL, click to deselect the Allow this device to wake the computer check box on the Power Management tab.

Any luck with this?

Ok, I've checked it off, I'm going away for a few hours, I'll put the computer to Hibernate, will report back. :) I hope it works, but I have a question, why do I have so many Network Adapters? They are also constantly changing, sometimes there are only 5, other times - 50. Here's the screenshot: post-54733-0-75260700-1443253354_thumb.p

I....have no idea..that may be related to the issue though.

A quick search reveals that a looping install of WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\tap0901.sys might be the issue for the repeating network adapters.

I....have no idea..that may be related to the issue though........

Every time I turn on the computer, I can't usually connect to the internet right away, it's like the computer makes like 50 of those networks, then checks (It's Identifying) each one and then when it gets to the real one it starts working, the number of them is different every time too.

Every time I turn on the computer, I can't usually connect to the internet right away, it's like the computer makes like 50 of those networks, then checks (It's Identifying) each one and then when it gets to the real one it starts working, the number of them is different every time too.

I would definitely make an inquiry in the networking subsection. That is not right.

I would definitely make an inquiry in the networking subsection. That is not right.

Now I can report that this does not solve the problem. Should I open a new thread in the Networking section?

I will just answer you here. First do what Rune Suggested nothing checked on power management tab under your NIC's config. 

The second is go into device manager > expand out "Network adapters" Uninstall anything that is not your Broadcom Nic. This will clear out those things. Finally Check your Bios for wake on lan or WOL and make sure it is disabled also. This could all be unrelated to the Hibernate issue but resolve this first. 

I will just answer you here. First do what Rune Suggested nothing checked on power management tab under your NIC's config. 

The second is go into device manager > expand out "Network adapters" Uninstall anything that is not your Broadcom Nic. This will clear out those things. Finally Check your Bios for wake on lan or WOL and make sure it is disabled also. This could all be unrelated to the Hibernate issue but resolve this first. 

I did things that Rune suggested, they didn't work. Will try the things you suggested but are you sure nothing will happen? What are these many adapters I have? post-54733-0-18642300-1443278190.png

Ok, I've tried to uninstalling all the network adapters, they seem to be only 3 after reboot but it's still waking up from sleep. I also can't find any Wake on LAN or WOL on BIOS. I'm using MSI Z97 PC-Mate. I'll try to post my problem to the networking section.

I disabled all devices that can wake the PC up, it still wakes up by an "Unknown" something in Event Viewer. What to do now? How can I find BIOS setting in Z97 PC Mate motherboard BIOS, can't find the option.

try to reinstall network drivers but first delete all of those adapters. then reset bios and check if problem persists.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

try to reinstall network drivers but first delete all of those adapters. then reset bios and check if problem persists.

I forgot to mention that I did do the first two things. I haven't made any changes to BIOS, I've tried looking for Wake On Lan option, but I can't find that option there. I have MSI Z97 PC Mate motherboard.

do you have a Firewall or anti virus programs and or VPN software?

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

do you have a Firewall or anti virus programs and or VPN software?

Firewall is on, yes. I have only MalwareBytes and Windows Defender. No VPN software.

Ok do it across the board. 

1.check Scheduled Tasks. Set all to disabled if you dont really know. This is found under Control Panel> Aministrative tools > Task Scheduler

2. NIC Power management -  control panel > device manager > ExpandNetwork adapters> Rightclick Physical adapter Select properties> Click Power Management Tab. Everything should be unchecked. 3. Uninstall anything that isnt a physical Network adapter IE your PCE Realtec etc 

4. Uninstall any\all VPN Software. 

5. Check Bios for power settings/WOL.. I don't own this board but according to a 10 sec google search this is for PCIe meaning check PCIe wake on lan settings.(made sense beiong how network adapters shows PCIe.)

6. Disable some Services. - Disable Computer Browsing Service. and Windows Media Service

7. Test up to this Point Does it still way up? If so run an elevated command prompt and run the command with out quotes "Powercfg - energy" move this file to your desktop for easy access it will be in c:\windows\system32 folder

8. If the system now stays in sleep mode work backwards reversing the changes. One at a time. 

9. If the system does not stay asleep  Start uninstalling Programs that were recently installed you mentioned Samsung Magician. I use this and max performance actually enables hibernate mode. So I doubt it is that. 

Side notes: I once had an old mouse that would float on the screen and this would cause my system at the time to wake up. Super creepy style at like 2AM. 

Ok do it across the board. 

1.check Scheduled Tasks. Set all to disabled if you dont really know. This is found under Control Panel> Aministrative tools > Task Scheduler

2. NIC Power management -  control panel > device manager > ExpandNetwork adapters> Rightclick Physical adapter Select properties> Click Power Management Tab. Everything should be unchecked. 3. Uninstall anything that isnt a physical Network adapter IE your PCE Realtec etc 

4. Uninstall any\all VPN Software. 

5. Check Bios for power settings/WOL.. I don't own this board but according to a 10 sec google search this is for PCIe meaning check PCIe wake on lan settings.(made sense beiong how network adapters shows PCIe.)

6. Disable some Services. - Disable Computer Browsing Service. and Windows Media Service

7. Test up to this Point Does it still way up? If so run an elevated command prompt and run the command with out quotes "Powercfg - energy" move this file to your desktop for easy access it will be in c:\windows\system32 folder

8. If the system now stays in sleep mode work backwards reversing the changes. One at a time. 

9. If the system does not stay asleep  Start uninstalling Programs that were recently installed you mentioned Samsung Magician. I use this and max performance actually enables hibernate mode. So I doubt it is that. 

Side notes: I once had an old mouse that would float on the screen and this would cause my system at the time to wake up. Super creepy style at like 2AM. 

You know, I think I found what the problem is.

Here's the screenshot for the past 2 wake ups: post-54733-0-57004100-1443428193.png

How do I fix this one?