is 40 to 45 ms input lag on an HDTV good for console gaming?

Theminecraftaddict555

I have a vizio e32-c1...Reviews stated that it was about 30 to 41 ms lag input....Is that good for gaming on a console? Especially online?

No flame comments about PC and consoles

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

I'd stick with a monitor for multiplayer gaming, if you are going to only play offline games perhaps.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Hmm seems like I got a mixed answers 

Also give me a straightforward answer and try your best not to recommend me a monitor....I know that they are the best for gaming..but I want a straightforward answer and maybe some information about the lag input time of my TV and whether it is good for online gaming or not

It's fine but would be better if the res was set to 720p, important for FPS games.

True I don't know how to do that with a ps3?

True I don't know how to do that with a ps3?

you go to the display settings and and only check 720p

It's in settings list the one to right of the PS3 accounts

All preference, if your asking the question then you most likely can feel the input lag?

If you can tell that anything isnt as quick as you'd like then go for a monitor with a good refresh rate instead of using a TV.

But at the end of the day consoles dont require that quick of a reaction, plus aim assist counter acts any advantage at a certain point.

I just have mixed feelings....I am usually used to the CRT monitor and I don't mind the 30 to 40ms input lag but I am just wondering how good is it for gaming on the HDTV I have

-snip-

its fine he's gone tanks to me just play games at 720p to put less stress on the PS3 and it will help with the lag

its fine he's gone tanks to me just play games at 720p to put less stress on the PS3 and it will help with the lag

Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info

my friend sold me his slim for $45 dollars I'm getting it next week cuz my district is on a 2 week break. Lol so his mom got him a new PS3 because the power button on the slim is loose, but I got it for $45 bucks

my friend sold me his slim for $45 dollars I'm getting it next week cuz my district is on a 2 week break. Lol so his mom got him a new PS3 because the power button on the slim is loose, but I got it for $45 bucks

Hmm...So are you sure that 720p will reduce the input lag compared to 1080p on my tv?

I see that you are at a young age, which makes me a wee bit suspicious that what you saying MAY NOT b true.....Unless you have more knowledge at studying techs (which i won't be suprised)

Hmm...So are you sure that 720p will reduce the input lag compared to 1080p on my tv?

I see that you are at a young age, which makes me a wee bit suspicious that what you saying MAY NOT b true.....Unless you have more knowledge at studying techs (which i won't be suprised)

Your PS3 won't be working as hard, and lines would be more smoother if gaming at 720p. Aim assist helps with I put lag, and a reliable internet connection would help you too. I've had those moments like

Wtf I was killed when I was behind a wall, but in the killcam my body was still to the side.

So if you play at 1080p the. PS3 will upscale the game to 1080p which makes more input lag, since most PS3 games are natively at 720p

Yep I am using wired connection on my ps3..wireless for my smart hdtv......Isn't black ops 2 1080p though?  unless for ps3 its best at 720P?

Yep I am using wired connection on my ps3..wireless for my smart hdtv......Isn't black ops 2 1080p though?  unless for ps3 its best at 720P?

black ops 2 is upscaled to 1080p from 720p

black ops 2 is upscaled to 1080p from 720p

thx

You are correct, he has no idea what he's talking about.

You are correct, he has no idea what he's talking about.

IDK....I never said he was 100 percent wrong.....but I'm not sure about the reliability of the answers

However, do you have anything to back up the statement you made though and anything to backup emanuel's statement about the resolutions? 

Edit: So since you have not responded...You yourself don't know what you are talking about since you fail to backup your reasons why he has no idea what he is talking about....Nuff said 

IDK....I never said he was 100 percent wrong.....but I'm not sure about the reliability of the answers

However, do you have anything to back up the statement you made though and anything to backup emanuel's statement about the resolutions? 

Edit: So since you have not responded...You yourself don't know what you are talking about since you fail to backup your reasons why he has no idea what he is talking about....Nuff said 

Seriously?

It was the weekend and I have better things to do with my life than sit on a forum.

You will not get a higher frame rate on console games playing at a lower resolution.

The games are rendered in a lower resolution then upscaled in order they can be viewed at 1080p (or whatever resolution you're at).

The kid even said that himself.

Therefore, if you set your console to 720p, it just means that the rendered frame isn't upscaled.

It doesn't increase your frame rate.

It doesn't make your console "run faster".

Furthermore, console games are usually locked to a frame rate, so even if the console COULD render at a higher framerate (from lowering the resolution), then it would still only display at the locked frame rate.

It wouldn't run faster.

How do you want me to back up what I said?

I can't find anything from a quick google that "proves" this, because no one has investigated it.

There's no need to investigate it.

Consoles usually run games around 30fps, and lowing the resolution will unlikely have any effect on this.

I looked a little harder and found THIS.

There's absolutely no need to be rude.

Have a nice day.

EDIT: Just to cover my ass, yes there are some exceptions where the console will increase frame rate when decreasing resolution, but they are few and far between

Seriously?

It was the weekend and I have better things to do with my life than sit on a forum.

You will not get a higher frame rate on console games playing at a lower resolution.

The games are rendered in a lower resolution then upscaled in order they can be viewed at 1080p (or whatever resolution you're at).

Therefore, if you set your console to 720p, it just means that the rendered frame isn't upscaled.

Furthermore, console games are usually locked to a frame rate, so even if the console COULD render at a higher framerate (from lowering the resolution), then it would still only display at the locked frame rate.

It wouldn't run faster.

I can't find anything from a quick google that "proves" this, because no one has investigated it.

Consoles usually run games around 30fps, and lowing the resolution will unlikely have any effect on this.

Have a nice day.

EDIT: Just to cover my ass, yes there are some exceptions where the console will increase frame rate when decreasing resolution, but they are few and far between

also when I played on a 70inch 4K tv. It was horrible. 1080p was like a jagged edge party.

Seriously?

It wouldn't run faster.

Have a nice day.

Srry for the hostility..I just hated it when people say things without backing it up...Apologies

But I thought we were talking about the input lag decreasing when lowering resolutions?  Didn't realize that we were talking about frames per second when lowering resolutions... 

Srry for the hostility..I just hated it when people say things without backing it up...Apologies

But I thought we were talking about the input lag decreasing when lowering resolutions?  Didn't realize that we were talking about frames per second when lowering resolutions... 

That's ok.

I appreciate the apology.

OT: Input lag is not really affected by the time it takes to render a frame, i.e. frame rate.

Your TV/monitor (with the exception of g-sync/freesync) will only refresh every X milliseconds. At 60hz, this is 16ms, no matter what your frame rate is.

Thus, frame rate/time won't affect input lag, because your TV will still only refresh every X milliseconds.

From this you can argue that if you have a higher frame rate, as long as it's below the refresh rate of the monitor, input lag could be decreased.

(More frames displayed per second so less perceived input lag)

This is where Emanuel's argument of higher frame rates (lower resolution) could decrease input lag.

HOWEVER, this doesn't work for consoles, because the frame rate is normally locked regardless of the resolution.

Input lag is the amount of time between your action and the display on the screen reacting accordingly. (As I'm sure you understand).

With this in mind, input lag will mostly be affected by the TV/monitor you're using and the latency between your input device and your console/device.

TFT central does a great job of describing this.

You can read that here in the "lag" section.

The actual article on input lag on that website is more to do with their measuring techniques.

This means your correct in your "we're discussing lag not frame rate".

However, what I'm arguing is that what Emanuel said is wrong, in that reducing resolution will reduce input lag on consoles.

SO to conclude, rendering faster (decreasing the resolution or image quality) will not affect your input lag or response time on consoles or above the refresh rate of the monitor/TV.

Whether 40-45ms is good enough depends on who you are and what games you play.

Read the TFT article and see what you think.

If you can, try the TV and judge for yourself whether you notice the input lag or not.

It varies from game to game and person to person as to how much input lag is too much.

I hope this makes sense and helps :)

EDIT: Changed the link