Afraid of buying a new prosessor

Go to solution Solved by Rolling Potatoe,

Yeah I took the motherboard and CPU out of the case, didn't try with a stock heatsink though. I don't believe that it matters because my cooler is a Coolermaster tx-3. Will try though.

I've inspected the motherboard socket and didn't see anything at first glance. Will look more into that too

I kinda start to think too that the motherboard's socket would be faulty since everything else works fine. If it is that then i'll definitely rma it since it was kinda expensive.

Its weird what can cause a mobo to not function I had an old socket 775 mobo that didnt work once.

Didnt work with aftermarked cooler 1, didnt even work without the backplate

Looked at the socket, a couple of bent pins....fixed that and still didnt work.....

Tried another aftermarked heatsink....didnt work again.....

Was about to throw it away....cram a stock heatsink out of the closet and slap it on: everything is fine O.o............................

Hi.

My pc broke some time ago when I cleaned it from dust. I took the components out, cleaned them, put them back in, turned it on. It posted once but after a reboot it didn't post anymore. The motherboard's CPU led is on every time I try to boot and it has been like that for about a month now. 

I tried to boot the pc with only the processor and memory installed without any luck. This brings me to a conclusion that the cpu has been fried. I remember having some troubles overclocking and just plain working with this processor from the day I bought it.

Now I would like to buy a new processor but I'm afraid that I will just waste my money if it doesn't work. I could probably go and try the components on someone else's pc but is there a risk of breaking their motherboards or else? 

Or maybe I could buy another G3258 since they don't cost much?

Intel Pentium G3258

Asus Z97-AR

Kingston Fury 1x8 GB 

Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

GTX 760 Twin Frozer

Potatoes are good for your nostrils.

If you have Intel's CPU OCing insurance, you can tell them you killed it from OCing and they'll give you a free CPU.

If you have morals, talk to your retailer about it

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

How do you know it's not the board?

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

My old PC did this kind of things all the time, when i touched it. I had to reseat the cpu and/or ram a few times and after that everything was fine again...

It's actually pretty hard to kill a cpu, so I wouldn't assume, that yours is dead.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

If you have Intel's CPU OCing insurance, you can tell them you killed it from OCing and they'll give you a free CPU.

If you have morals, talk to your retailer about it

I could contact the retailer. I just bought the motherboard and CPU from different places so it's a bit hassle.

How do you know it's not the board?

I don't but I wish. It just seems to work fine with everything else such as the cooler and graphics card.

get a 4590 or 4690k if you want to overclock

Read again

My old PC did this kind of things all the time, when i touched it. I had to reseat the cpu and/or ram a few times and after that everything was fine again...

It's actually pretty hard to kill a cpu, so I wouldn't assume, that yours is dead.

Yeah the gentle kicking worked for me too but not now, I could try and wiggle some things again.

I would try re-seating everthing again before you go buying new stuffs.

Intel i7-4790K Processor, 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3-1600 RAM, ASUS Z-87 Pro Motherboard, Corsair RM 750 PSU, 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs, ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX GPU, Corsair Carbide 500R Case, AFT Pro-77U Card Reader, Dell UltraSharp 24 Monitor – U2415, Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Windows 9 (Windows 10 with StartIsBack++)

I would try re-seating everthing again before you go buying new stuffs.

Yeah though I've re-seated the cpu in so many times that i'm running out of thermal paste. :D The cpu led also turns on instantly and never shows anything new.

What actually happens if you push the power button?

Do the fans spin up?

Does the mobo speaker beep in some way?

Are there some mobo leds flashing?

Does the pc turn on and shut down again?

If actually nothing happens......are you sure the power button is pluged in properly?

Have you tried doing a cmos reset? If yes how? How long did you wait?

So yeah, id advise some more troubleshooting before assuming your cpu died.

Yeah though I've re-seated the cpu in so many times that i'm running out of thermal paste. :D The cpu led also turns on instantly and never shows anything new.

I wish I knew more of what to tell you.

Do the fans spin up?

Yes, every single fan starts spinning in full speed. Usually after the pc posts they settle down. 

Does the mobo speaker beep in some way?

No, the Z97-AR doesn't have a speaker or a debug screen. 

Are there some mobo leds flashing?

The CPU-led turns static instantly after pressing the power button and stays that way

Does the pc turn on and shut down again?

It waits for post forever with the static CPU-led.

If actually nothing happens......are you sure the power button is pluged in properly?

Yeah I'm pretty sure everything is on correctly.

Have you tried doing a cmos reset? If yes how? How long did you wait?

I had the battery out for about an hour and replaced it with a new one, gonna try for a night next though.

It's fine, I'm not too bothered if my pc doesn't work. I just kinda want to play cs already. :F

I could contact the retailer. I just bought the motherboard and CPU from different places so it's a bit hassle.

I don't but I wish. It just seems to work fine with everything else such as the cooler and graphics card.

Read again

Yeah the gentle kicking worked for me too but not now, I could try and wiggle some things again.

how is it more hassle to rma your parts than buy new ones? what did you clean it with? 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

how is it more hassle to rma your parts than buy new ones? what did you clean it with? 

I bought the parts through my dad's company and I'm not sure if I even have the receipt anywhere. 

I didn't really clean anything else than the case, power supply and fans with a microfiber cloth. A case of electric discharge is a possibility but I really can't tell from my memory. 

I bought the parts through my dad's company and I'm not sure if I even have the receipt anywhere. 

I didn't really clean anything else than the case, power supply and fans with a microfiber cloth. A case of electric discharge is a possibility but I really can't tell from my memory. 

i dont think you need a receipt to send a cpu to intel, if you want to test the board, just by a normal pentium or celeron off ebay cheap, then if that doesn't work, you know its the board and not the cpu. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

i dont think you need a receipt to send a cpu to intel, if you want to test the board, just by a normal pentium or celeron off ebay cheap, then if that doesn't work, you know its the board and not the cpu. 

Yeah I could buy a cheap processor to try the motherboard out. I don't feel like sending the processor to Intel since it cost me like 50 euros. It's not really the money that's the problem but I don't think that it's really worth it. I'm not even sure if I can send the cpu to Intel from here.

I tried to boot the pc with only the processor and memory installed without any luck. 

Have you tried booting from outside the case on a box with just the intel stock heatsink?

Have you reseated the cpu again and looked for any bend pins(or crumbs of thermal paste)?

Id still say the most likely culprit is the mobo, those can be very fickle if you bend something or they touch something metal.

The cpu dying randomly is just too unlikely, that usually only happens when another faulty component causes too much voltage being delivered.

Have you tried booting from outside the case on a box with just the intel stock heatsink?

Have you reseated the cpu again and looked for any bend pins(or crumbs of thermal paste)?

Id still say the most likely culprit is the mobo, those can be very fickle if you bend something or they touch something metal.

The cpu dying randomly is just too unlikely, that usually only happens when another faulty component causes too much voltage being delivered.

Yeah I took the motherboard and CPU out of the case, didn't try with a stock heatsink though. I don't believe that it matters because my cooler is a Coolermaster tx-3. Will try though.

I've inspected the motherboard socket and didn't see anything at first glance. Will look more into that too

I kinda start to think too that the motherboard's socket would be faulty since everything else works fine. If it is that then i'll definitely rma it since it was kinda expensive.

Its weird what can cause a mobo to not function I had an old socket 775 mobo that didnt work once.

Didnt work with aftermarked cooler 1, didnt even work without the backplate

Looked at the socket, a couple of bent pins....fixed that and still didnt work.....

Tried another aftermarked heatsink....didnt work again.....

Was about to throw it away....cram a stock heatsink out of the closet and slap it on: everything is fine O.o............................

Oh shit.

I just took the motherboard once again out of the case and put a stick of ram and a stock heatsink on it. 

The CPU-led has not lit up.

@Rolling Potatoe @Jumper118 @Kevguy

Cleaning and blowing on the motherboard did the trick and now I can clean the dust off of my keyboard and mouse :D

Thanks a lot people.

glad to hear that its working again.  :)

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme