4790k or 5775c?

Go to solution Solved by Ansau,

With that cooler the i7 5775c seems a better option. Yes, the 4790k will be able to overclock higher, but you'll be limited from the temperatures before reaching an enough high overclock to surpass the IPC from an overclocked 5775c (which is easier to reach since the lower TDP).

Also, the edram from the 5775c helps a lot while gaming and in some game the 5775c at 3.6GHz can match or even surpass the 4790k at 4.2GHz.

Pretty much the title but I am mostly gaming and the thing making me lean towards broadwell is the lower TDP (65W vs. 84W+) which may help in my case (HAHAHAH - sorry) (It's a GD09B btw)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Pretty much the title but I am mostly gaming and the thing making me lean towards broadwell is the lower TDP which may help in my case (HAHAHAH - sorry) (It's a GD09B btw)

if you dont plan on ocing as that will ruin tdp then i would just get the xeon 1231v3

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

if you dont plan on ocing as that will ruin tdp then i would just get the xeon 1231v3

I would like to oc

Can you actually buy a 5775C in your area, and if so, how much more expensive is it than the 4790K?

It's about £20 more expensive

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I would like to oc

Meh… while the 5775C might be slightly better in certain tasks it's also going to be behind in a few as well. If they were the same price, I'd call it a reasonable alternative, but I wouldn't want to pay that much more for it.

What sort of cooler are you planning on using? If that case supports an AIO liquid cooler, then I wouldn't worry about the 4790K's TDP. They bypass the need for great airflow to some degree.

Meh… while the 5775C might be slightly better in certain tasks it's also going to be behind in a few as well. If they were the same price, I'd call it a reasonable alternative, but I wouldn't want to pay that much more for it.

What sort of cooler are you planning on using? If that case supports an AIO liquid cooler, then I wouldn't worry about the 4790K's TDP. They bypass the need for great airflow to some degree.

I'm currently using the NH-L12 because I didn't want to have any compatibility issue with height and the cooling capacity is rather limiting (84w)

I'd have to do a custom loop if I wanted water cooling as I'd have to use a slim 120/240 in the fan slots next to the mobo because of the clearance and the 120 slot next to the PSU may be blocked by the PSU and the tubes may not reach so far.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

I would like to oc

The 5775c doesn't overclock as good as 4790k. Also when oc, the 5775c is as hot as 4790k. 

The main selling point of 5775c is a very good iGPU.

With that cooler the i7 5775c seems a better option. Yes, the 4790k will be able to overclock higher, but you'll be limited from the temperatures before reaching an enough high overclock to surpass the IPC from an overclocked 5775c (which is easier to reach since the lower TDP).

Also, the edram from the 5775c helps a lot while gaming and in some game the 5775c at 3.6GHz can match or even surpass the 4790k at 4.2GHz.

i7 5775c @4.1GHz // 2x4GB 2400MHz CL10 // R9 285 @1120/1575MHz // SSD MX100 512GB // Z97M Gaming // RM550 // Prolimatech Megahalems+ NF-P14s Redux // Cooletk U3

Alright, thanks for all your guy's help, I think i'm going to go with the 5775c when the time comes, I think the lower TDP and the reason on the last line of this quote helped.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Alright, thanks for all your guy's help, I think i'm going to go with the 5775c when the time comes, I think the lower TDP and the reason on the last line of this quote helped.

If you aren't familiar with it's gaming performance, Tech Report included it in their Skylake launch review:

http://techreport.com/review/28751/intel-core-i7-6700k-skylake-processor-reviewed/6

It can be quite impressive considering it's clock speed and low TDP, though bear in mind Project CARS seems to be a best-case scenario for it.

If you're not going to use iGPU, just buy Haswell one. LGA Broadwell CPU's are all about iGPU. Broadwell CPU's X86 performance is similar to Haswell ones.

If you're not going to use iGPU, just buy Haswell one. LGA Broadwell CPU's are all about iGPU. Broadwell CPU's X86 performance is similar to Haswell ones.

You're forgetting the much lower TDP which apparently just gets boosted back up by the OC but is more manageable. I don't have the cooler to cool an oc'd 4790k though, and AIOs don't really work in this case. (I just made the same pun twice. I'll go die now)

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats