Python Project

namarino
Go to solution Solved by martward,

You need to write if express_shipment == 'n' or express-shipment =='no':

There is a difference in python between " and ' (forgot what it was though)

Also I would use: if "y" in express_shipment, it's easier more compact and more robust.

And you don't need an elif if you are not adding an else. Just check whether the input contains a y and use else for if it doesn't.

Hey guys, I'm just learning Python. I learned Java last year so I understand what's going on generally. But I wrote this code and it's not doing what I want and I can't figure out why.

Basically what happens is when I input express_shipment, the if statement doesn't work correctly. I enter yes and it still runs the code for no. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? Thanks!

shipment_weight = 0express_shipment = Noneshipment_charge = 0shipment_distance = 0#Prompts user for weight of shipmentshipment_weight = float(input("Weight of shipment(lbs): "))#If weight of shipment is greater than 50, print 'Too heavy' and program endsif shipment_weight > 50:	print("\nToo heavy!")else:	express_shipment = input("Express shipment? ")	if express_shipment == 'n' or 'no':		shipment_charge = .50 * shipment_weight	elif express_shipment == 'y' or 'yes':		shipment_distance = float(input("Distance of shipment(miles): "))		if shipment_distance > 12450:			print("Out of range of Earth's surface!")		else:			if shipment_weight <= 3:				shipment_charge = (shipment_distance / 200) * 3.00			if 3 < shipment_weight <= 10:				shipment_charge = (shipment_distance / 200) * 6.50			if 10 < shipment_weight <= 20:				shipment_charge = (shipment_distance / 200) * 14.00			if shipment_weight > 20:				shipment_charge = (shipment_distance / 200) * 30.00						print("Shipment charge: " + '$' + shipment_charge)		

You need to write if express_shipment == 'n' or express-shipment =='no':

There is a difference in python between " and ' (forgot what it was though)

Also I would use: if "y" in express_shipment, it's easier more compact and more robust.

And you don't need an elif if you are not adding an else. Just check whether the input contains a y and use else for if it doesn't.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Skip the " and ' part they're the same, sawry.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

Fixed most of it. Your math is just wrong on calculating "express shipping" since it doesn't touch the shipping charge whatsoever.

#!/usr/bin/env pythondef main():	#Prompts user for weight of shipment	shipment_weight = float(input("Weight of shipment(lbs): "))	#If weight of shipment is greater than 50, print 'Too heavy' and program ends	if shipment_weight > 50:		print("\nToo heavy!")		return 0	express_shipment = raw_input("Express shipment? ")	if str(express_shipment).lower() in ['n','no']:		shipment_charge = .50 * shipment_weight	elif express_shipment == 'y' or 'yes':		shipment_distance = float(input("Distance of shipment(miles): "))		if shipment_distance > 12450:			print("Out of range of Earth's surface!")			return 0		if shipment_weight <= 3:			shipment_charge = (shipment_distance / 200) * 3.00		if shipment_weight > 3 and shipment_weight <= 10:			shipment_charge = (shipment_distance / 200) * 6.50		if shipment_weight > 10 and shipment_weight <= 20:			shipment_charge = (shipment_distance / 200) * 14.00		if shipment_weight > 20:			shipment_charge = (shipment_distance / 200) * 30.00				print "Shipment charge: $%g" % shipment_chargeif __name__ == '__main__':	main()

The big issue was that you were doing comparisons on strings that don't make sense. You cannot do "if 10 < some_var <= 10" in pretty much any programming language. You have to use compound boolean comparisons.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

You cannot do "if 10 < some_var <= 10" in pretty much any programming language.

Fortunately Python is one of the few where you can do that.