Asus VG248QE @144Hz Issuses

WhiteFlip

I have a HIS R9 280x and a Asus VG248QE 24" monitor all running through displayport and I'm having problems with it running at 144Hz but when I lower it down to 120Hz it runs fine. Is this a problem with my gpu, monitor, or drivers?

My current Setup:
Fractal Design XL R2 Case
MSI 990FXA-GD80 V2 Motherboard

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.2mhz
AMD HIS R9 280X @ 1050mhz
Crucial 16Gb (8X8) RAM
Enermax aftermarket cooler
EVGA Supernova 850 G2 PSU
Crucial 240Gb SSD
WD Black 1Tb
WD Green 2Tb
6: 140mm Fans: 2 Fractal Design and 4 Bit Fenix

You didn't even tell us what problem you were having.

I mean you could be seeing white elephants or poka dots with wings at 144 hz and we wouldn't even know >_>

Sorry 3 hours sleep doesn't help much lol. The screen starts to glitch out, shows nothing, starts tearing, or just blue screens. Which is weird cause I've updated everything on the computer, the displayport cable is brand new and I have a second one just in case it might be the cable.

blue screen as in the windows blue screen of death with a STOP error or crash dump?

Sounds like a videocard issue.  A monitor itself can not cause a BSOD.

Are you watching youtube videos when this happens??

Not windows blue screen of death but this happens when I'm playing video games mostly, it sometimes glitches when I watch youtube vids.

Ok next question.

Are you overclocking the memory through AMD overdrive or Afterburner or anything similar, by any amount whatsoever?

I'm overclocking my gpu memory at 1524 through afterburner, as for the core clock of my gpu it's at 1050.

That's the problem.  It's a bug in all AMD cards before the R9 290x, which did away with UVD clocks.

AMD/ATI cards have a design limitation that causes video acceleration to scramble the screen if the vertical blanking/total is below standard with the video card's memory overclocked or with multiple monitors connected. Skype is known to trigger this problem. Either don't overclock the video card's memory, or use the "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total.

AMD cards are also hard-coded to switch clock profiles when video acceleration is active even if the memory clock is not supposed to change. That's why the screen gets corrupted with a lower vertical total when video acceleration is active with the memory overclocked.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU?page=167

(144hz requires a lower blanking interval (Vertical total / VT) than normal refresh rates (usually this starts around 127-130hz depending on monitor scaler/firmware).

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU