PSU whine increases in pitch when power button is pressed.

silicaset

Is this is a sign that the unit is failing or failed? Its a seasonic x650 gold psu, it just 2 1/2 into its 7 year warranty.

The whine is very high pitched. I can only hear it when the pc is turned off or when i get my ears right about the psu vent. Its like the pitchy sound you hear in extremely quiet places like a warehouse where there is no air flow.

I noticed that the longer i held the power button pressed in, the whine increased in pitch until i let the power button go. Its the same with switching off the psu from the switch on the psu itself. After its switched off, the whine stays around until the the motherboard light goes out and the whine goes away with it.

Its not annoying but after my pc failed to startup with the gpu installed im suspecting there is some short on the gpu, or mobo.

Also will a psu prevent itself from startup if it is unable to supply the required wattage to the gpu or does the pc startup and display a warning about that on boot?

Coil whine in and of itself is NOTHING to worry about. I don't think that a 650W PSU would struggle booting up any consumer grade PC to my knowledge.

I had a similar thing with my Cooler Master V450S. It's coil whine. Mine was mainly during boot and on the desktop sometimes. After a while, the issue went away, or I may be too used to it to hear it :>

Besides, my problem was also with the GPU. Just a few connection tests, had to reseat my card and it was all fine.

It's normal, it's not a defect, most manufacturers won't replace whining PSUs, unless it's insane whine. Just put on some headphones and don't listen to it.

Laptop: Intel Core i5-4200H, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce 840M

Desktop: Intel Core i3-6100, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, GeForce GTX 750 Ti

the noise when the PC is off is the +5VSB - it's fine. The rest is probably electrical buzz which is normal as well. Coil whine is also nothing to worry about. If you have failed start-up attempts, random crashes, freezes, hangs, random reboots, missed POSTs, then it might be a PSU issue.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6