GTX 970 Buying Advice

Ronin64

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a GTX 970, but is now a good time to get one? The card has been out awhile and I don't know when the next line of cards will be released or if there is a price drop in the future. It is currently 10% off on Newegg.ca so it'll cost me almost $470 CND with shipping and tax.

So should I get one now or wait?

Thanks in advance.

id suggest getting a 390 for more performance and vram

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

390 is a better bet.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

As a 970 owner, unless power consumption or and Nvidia feature like G-Sync or Shadow Play or what have you is super important to you a 390 would be my choice if i was buying right now. It performs better and has the full performance of all 4GB of it's VRAM.

If you really want the 970 (still a kick ass card) you may as well get it now, it's definitely been out for a while but don't expect bigger price drops for a while since the next series isn't out yet and there's probably not gonna be anything from Nvidia coming out in that section of their price bracket anytime soon.

As a 970 owner, unless power consumption or and Nvidia feature like G-Sync or Shadow Play or what have you is super important to you a 390 would be my choice if i was buying right now. It performs better and has the full performance of all 4GB of it's VRAM.

If you really want the 970 (still a kick ass card) you may as well get it now, it's definitely been out for a while but don't expect bigger price drops for a while since the next series isn't out yet and there's probably not gonna be anything from Nvidia coming out in that section of their price bracket anytime soon.

as an exclusive nvidia user. i back this.

i use nvidia for their drivers, because i got used to them, and i'm not too fond of change.

and for me, energy usage is a REALLY important thing, because the only way to regulate temperature in my room is window open and window closed.

and a less energy hogging card also means it's easier to cool them, allowing my computer to be more quiet. (which is another really important thing to me personally)

If its on sale why not? Unless there is a 390 for cheaper, then I'd grab that instead. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case