Does any GPU work with an APU?

ApollosLykos

I currently use a rubbish APU and my friend is giving me his old GPU which should still fit under my psu capacity.

Im just wondering what affect the GPU will have and how it will work along side a APU.

I'm guessing when playing games I will need to pick which one I am going to use. All I want to know is will it work?

Can I just put the GPU in my system and have it able to run better than what it currently is.

I currently have a 786vram or 568. Not entirely sure with this apu and the GPU has 1gb which will help quite a darn bit with my games.

Will this work?

It might be possible with dx12.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

I currently use a rubbish APU and my friend is giving me his old GPU which should still fit under my psu capacity.

Im just wondering what affect the GPU will have and how it will work along side a APU.

I'm guessing when playing games I will need to pick which one I am going to use. All I want to know is will it work?

Can I just put the GPU in my system and have it able to run better than what it currently is.

I currently have a 786vram or 568. Not entirely sure with this apu and the GPU has 1gb which will help quite a darn bit with my games.

Will this work?

It would help if you tell us what actual components you have, vram doesnt really mean much in terms of performance.

The GPU might be a lot better or even worse than the IGPU of your APU.

But for your initial question: yes it would work. Just one is gonna be deactivated (unless you happen to have a combination that can do crossfire).

It would help if you tell us what actual components you have, vram doesnt really mean much in terms of performance.

The GPU might be a lot better or even worse than the IGPU of your APU.

AMD HD 8740D 

I'm still waiting for my friend to tell me the GPU.

AMD HD 8740D 

I'm still waiting for my friend to tell me the GPU.

So Im guessing you have a A6-6400k...youre right, that is a quite shitty APU.

As long a your friend doesnt give something very low end like a gt610 you are probably better off with his gpu.

Amd HD5770 Sapphire, my current pc has a 300w so im guessing I need another damn psu. Luckily he can give me a 500w one as well.