Targus Gaming Chill Mat - BEST LAPTOP COOLER EVER

Henry

November 2013 UPDATE: After 2 years of medium usage, the speed adjust knob is now "broken". The last time it worked, it was on the max speed, and since the knob is now super wobbly and cant adjust anymore, it is now stuck at the max speed. Not gonna take off points for this, especially since it still works, and its 2 years old. And whenever i use it, its usually at max fan speed anyways.

My 2nd review!

Targus Gaming Chill Mat

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Gaming-Chill-Laptops-AWE57US/dp/B003ZSHKJ8

Performance: 9.9/10

Its got 3 92mm (not 100% sure, but its inbetween 92 and 110)fans running at 3000 RPM, no given CFM, but compared to my personal rig's fans, it pushes a decent amount of air, I am guess-timating 140CFM on max rpm?

While most laptop coolers like the Targus Lap Chill Mat or the Notepal X2 push laughable amounts of air that seriously do nothing at all for the cooling, this thing pushes air like MAD. Laptop NEVER goes past 65C, average maybe 50. Before I got this cooler , the most I saw was 75C.

Trust me, when I say this pushes out air, I mean it. Dont use stupid cheap coolers, pay the extra money and get the extra performance. This is probably on par with the CM Storm SF-19.

Portability: 6/10

This thing supports up to 18 inch laptops, its not very small. Notepal U2 is nice and can carry around your laptop.

Sound: 6/10

This thing is pretty loud, and has an annoying hum (I think its coil whine) when on low RPM, and actually sounds less annoying with it on higher speeds, when the annoying hum/coil whine is gone.

If u got headphones, it wont bother u at all. The sound of your music or game will easily drown out the sound. Even with no sound from your headphones, it should help alot, doesnt bother me at all these days.

Things to know: After a year and a half of using it, the knob to turn up the fan speed started getting loose, nothing too big of a deal, just down on the knob a little more and move it up or down normally. Also, it uses up to 2 usb ports, 2 for max peformance. U can use 1, almost no difference to me.

Conclusion: This is a MUST HAVE for laptops used for gaming. Dont bother with the Notepal U2 or stuff like that, get the real deal with this. 

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

It would be nice to see a link but I always wondered if there were any good laptop coolers.

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

It would be nice to see a link but I always wondered if there were any good laptop coolers.

Amazon it :P (screw Googling)

Yea its one of the best guaranteed. Ive tried a few. CM Storm SF-19 might be good too, never used it tho, seems good. But $10 more on amazon

Amazon it :P (screw Googling)

Yea its one of the best guaranteed. Ive tried a few. CM Storm SF-19 might be good too, never used it tho, seems good. But $10 more on amazon

Might get this for my brother for his Macbook Pro for Christmas... :D

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Might get this for my brother for his Macbook Pro for Christmas... :D

AWWWWWW 

Um anyways....

Yea this would be nice, but not sure how much it will benefit from it. The bottom of the macbook pro has no vents...

Might as well get something nice like this? http://www.madminds.com/collections/the-tilt

Might benefit more for the macbook pro? Apple really needs to rethink their cooling system..

AWWWWWW 

Um anyways....

Yea this would be nice, but not sure how much it will benefit from it. The bottom of the macbook pro has no vents...

Might as well get something nice like this? http://www.madminds.com/collections/the-tilt

Might benefit more for the macbook pro? Apple really needs to rethink their cooling system..

Lol yeah I never understood the whole "aluminum heatsink" idea. They seem to give off some heat yes but they don't have much ventilation at all so how is it supposed to cool down?

Yea, Ill update the thread to have that link.

If u get it, be advised that it will be loud. Also, u should try the CM Storm SF-19 as wel, its got 2x140mm turbine fans, not sure how much air it pushes out

Lol yeah I never understood the whole "aluminum heatsink" idea. They seem to give off some heat yes but they don't have much ventilation at all so how is it supposed to cool down?

Yea Apple logic...

So what do u think of the macbook pro cooler I showed u? I think it would work fine.

im building my own lol

using an old shelf, 600t mesh side panel, and a couple 120mm fans

Pictures would be nice, i would really like to see it.

I don't get why they choose to go with smaller fans when the cooler is as large as it is :\ You could easily fit larger fans in there for a better noise/airflow ratio.

I don't get why they choose to go with smaller fans when the cooler is as large as it is :\ You could easily fit larger fans in there for a better noise/airflow ratio.

Ikr, and it would be quieter....Cooler master needs to do a cooler with 3 of their sickleflow fans and one with 3 of their excalibur fans (my laptop would run uber cold..)

Ikr, and it would be quieter....Cooler master needs to do a cooler with 3 of their sickleflow fans and one with 3 of their excalibur fans (my laptop would run uber cold..)

Definitely. Heck, at the size this cooler is, you could even get a 200mm fan in there and it would probably do the job just fine. I've actually been mildly tempted to get one, except the 15-inch one from Targus, and see if I could mod it to work with larger, better fans. I don't see why it wouldn't work initially.

Definitely. Heck, at the size this cooler is, you could even get a 200mm fan in there and it would probably do the job just fine. I've actually been mildly tempted to get one, except the 15-inch one from Targus, and see if I could mod it to work with larger, better fans. I don't see why it wouldn't work initially.

Make sure its a good 200mm, it might run weak.

What 15 inch? If I knew how, I would sooo mod 3 excaliburs...that would be one hell of a laptop cooler. 180CFM total :O

You should review this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998686&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Branding-_-na-_-na&AID=10440554&PID=4897915

Its amazing, but only problem is that the fans can get bogged down depending on the surface.

Umm I cant really review something I've never tried. Doesnt look like it would push alot of air, those fans look tiny (at least from the picture)

Make sure its a good 200mm, it might run weak.

What 15 inch? If I knew how, I would sooo mod 3 excaliburs...that would be one hell of a laptop cooler. 180CFM total :O

If I were to mod one, I wouldn't personally use a 200mm fan. I'd probably just use 120s or 140s, probably noctua's with in-line resistors.

And this is the mat I was thinking of: http://www.amazon.com/Targus-AWE79US-Chill-Laptops-15-4-Inch/dp/B0084V5FBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376375647&sr=8-1&keywords=targus+15+chill+mat

I need to measure the area under the fans, but it looks like it could take larger fans.

If I were to mod one, I wouldn't personally use a 200mm fan. I'd probably just use 120s or 140s, probably noctua's with in-line resistors.

And this is the mat I was thinking of: http://www.amazon.com/Targus-AWE79US-Chill-Laptops-15-4-Inch/dp/B0084V5FBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376375647&sr=8-1&keywords=targus+15+chill+mat

I need to measure the area under the fans, but it looks like it could take larger fans.

When i said 200mm i meant a laptop cooler that already has 200mm fan.

I've used that laptop cooler, it pushes like no air...A notepal u2 looks easy to mod.

When i said 200mm i meant a laptop cooler that already has 200mm fan.

I've used that laptop cooler, it pushes like no air...A notepal u2 looks easy to mod.

Oh I know, the fans in the low-end targus consumer laptop chillers are quite weak. I like that particular cooler because it's so easy to open and get to the fans, literary no screws between you and the fan housing. I'd probably cut a hole in the bottom and cover it with modder's mesh to give a more direct airflow path, since the cooler is made to pull air in from the sides to provide what little cool air it does.

At that point, though, I'd probably be better off just building a custom piece from wood or something. I'm not sure how much modding that pad could take lol.

Oh I know, the fans in the low-end targus consumer laptop chillers are quite weak. I like that particular cooler because it's so easy to open and get to the fans, literary no screws between you and the fan housing. I'd probably cut a hole in the bottom and cover it with modder's mesh to give a more direct airflow path, since the cooler is made to pull air in from the sides to provide what little cool air it does.

At that point, though, I'd probably be better off just building a custom piece from wood or something. I'm not sure how much modding that pad could take lol.

If u ever mod one, upload pics to the forum. If only cooler master would make better laptop coolers..

• 3 months later...

Included an update.

Still my favorite laptop cooler of all time.