R9 270x Issue Question

hayjay2000

Hey everyone, brand new here. My friend sent me to see if anyone has an idea of what may be going on with my R9 270x GPU that he gave me when I built my PC.  It's around a year or so old (in terms of use) and when I got it from him, it worked fine to begin with.  Recently though, it would stop working for a couple days (fans still spin) and then it would work again. It again stopped working for a couple days, and started working just fine. (and by working, I mean getting a display from it.) However, once again, about a day after it started working, it stopped again.  Since then, it hasn't worked.  I originally used an hdmi cable into the hdmi port, until it stopped working the second time, then I switched to a dvi-to-hdmi converter, which it worked in. Now, it won't work through either one. I can get a display through my MoBo, but not through the gpu any longer, and if i start up my PC with the hdmi cable in the converter or the hdmi port, I get nothing through the gpu, can move the cable over to the hdmi port on the MoBo and the display pops up without needing a restart.

Overall, I've tried what I described above.  An hdmi cable in the hdmi port, and dvi-to-hdmi converter in the dvi slot.  The monitor I use is my small 22" HD TV, if that means anything.

My question is, does anyone have any idea what may be causing the gpu to act the way it has?

Thanks for any help!

-HayJay2000

pretty sure its a coaster.

/s

the fact -in the cases its not working- your pc doesnt detect it at all, i feel like this is either the GPU just being ded, or a motherboard issue.

pretty sure its a coaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Pz5KsyfN0

/s

the fact -in the cases its not working- your pc doesnt detect it at all, i feel like this is either the GPU just being ded, or a motherboard issue.

Can the gpu be dead if fans still spin?

My theory was the pci slot is a dead

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

Can the gpu be dead if fans still spin?

My theory was the pci slot is a dead

well... theres lots of different ways a product can be dead.

i'm guessing your gpu is having issues with the soldering points of the die itself.

you can "reflow" it in an oven, but thats a rather dangerous procedure.

PCI slot or processor pins could be damaged.

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.875GHz/1.335v , GPU: Fury Nitro.

The weirdest part I find is the fact that it's not doing specific beeps for it

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

The weirdest part I find is the fact that it's not doing specific beeps for it

So boards(MSIPCMate) don't have beepers, which might be why. 

And if it's pins, it won't beep sometimes.

OP?

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.875GHz/1.335v , GPU: Fury Nitro.

So boards(MSIPCMate) don't have beepers, which might be why. 

And if it's pins, it won't beep sometimes.

OP?

My MoBo beeps normally, and according to the beep code (it beeps twice, two short beeps.) It's normal.