Booted yesterday night, won't POST today

Sycro
Go to solution Solved by Sycro,

After playing around in this (formatting, reseting, fresh installs, etc) I managed to (somehow) fix the problem! Thanks to all that provided support nonetheless  :D

So I built my pc last night, everything went smooth (or so I think)  for a first build, it went to the BIOS just fine, checked everything, RAM was detected, GPU working, CPU at 40ºC, etc. 

With this build I wanted to dual boot between windows 8.1 and Mac OS X. Started to install Mac OS X, had some issues but eventually got there, installed windows, couldn't install drives as it didn't detect the Ethernet cable for some reason and at that point I thought I could finish it tomorrow and go to sleep. This morning I went to boot and not even the Gigabyte logo screen, nothing, monitor goes to sleep every time. Tried removing RAM one by one to see if one was faulty but still nothing, tried to use VGA and HDMI from the motherboard and HDMI from GPU, still nothing. I'm at a complete loss here, need help. Here are the specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3
Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K @3,5GHz

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury White 16Gb (2x8Gb) 1600MHz DDR3
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1Tb 7200rpm
SDD: Crucial BX100 250Gb

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX970 G1 Gaming 
PSU: XFX TS550W 80+Bronze 

Monitor: HP Pavilion 27cw (has two HDMI ports and one VGA)

Case: NZXT Noctis 450 White

Is there a memok button on the mobo? I know there's one on Asus boards but if there's one on this board try experimenting with that. Also, 40 deg at idle? Doesn't that seems a little high or?

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

1. try reseating everything.

2. is the pc plugged in?

The pc is plugged in. 

Reseting as taking it apart and put it back together or..?

Is there a memok button on the mobo? I know there's one on Asus boards but if there's one on this board try experimenting with that. Also, 40 deg at idle? Doesn't that seems a little high or?

There isn't one. I thought so too then I looked at the clock and it said it was going at 3,9GHz for some reason, even though I didn't oc.

Please describe exactly what happens when you press the power button to turn it on. 

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

Please describe exactly what happens when you press the power button to turn it on. 

LED's turn on, fans start working, keyboard lights up (the scroll lock and etc leds) and monitor gets no signal. And it stays like this.

1. try reseating everything.

2. is the pc plugged in?

Took it all apart, put it back up outside of case (just in case) and the problem remains.

Took it all apart, put it back up outside of case (just in case) and the problem remains.

hm, and the monitor or tv is set to the correct input? and is turned on and not damaged or perhaps works on another device just fine? if so, sounds like it could be the motherboard.

--Thread killer--

Take your GPU card out altogether, and just use the motherboard graphics and see if it changes. (i know you tried the on board, but also had the card still in we want to remove this) 

--Thread killer--

hm, and the monitor or tv is set to the correct input? and is turned on and not damaged or perhaps works on another device just fine? if so, sounds like it could be the motherboard.

Tested the monitor, works fine. I tried connecting through VGA and HDMI, the monitor doesn't detect a thing. 

Tested the monitor, works fine. I tried connecting through VGA and HDMI, the monitor doesn't detect a thing. 

Take your GPU card out altogether, and just use the motherboard graphics and see if it changes. (i know you tried the on board, but also had the card still in we want to remove this) 

--Thread killer--

Nothing changed.

Nothing changed.

I hate to say it but it sounds like something may be wrong with the board, is there any chance that both cables are somehow faulty? maybe a third cable? 

--Thread killer--

Looked up on how to reset the CMOS on this board. Just cleared the CMOS and it booted on to the BIOS. Not really clear on why the hell that worked but I'll see where it goes from here.

I hate to say it but it sounds like something may be wrong with the board, is there any chance that both cables are somehow faulty? maybe a third cable? 

I tested them both on an adapter to connect the MacBook to the monitor. Either way I did go get a third HDMI and still did the same. Now it booted after clearing the CMOS

I tested them both on an adapter to connect the MacBook to the monitor. Either way I did go get a third HDMI and still did the same. Now it booted after clearing the CMOS

some random board error, how weird. Glad its better! 

--Thread killer--

some random board error, how weird. Glad its better! 

Nevermind, now it won't boot with the GPU on

Nevermind, now it won't boot with the GPU on

does the gpu require its own power source and is that plugged in correctly? 

--Thread killer--

So update on the whole ordeal:

Reset everything, built it out of the case, still didn't work.
Tested monitor, cables, etc. nothing.
Removed GPU, nothinhg
Reset CMOS without GPU and it booted.
Re inserted GPU and no boot.
Reset CMOS with Gpu, no boot.

So....I'm guessing either the board has a problem on the connector or the GPU isn't working.

So update on the whole ordeal:

Reset everything, built it out of the case, still didn't work.

Tested monitor, cables, etc. nothing.

Removed GPU, nothinhg

Reset CMOS without GPU and it booted.

Re inserted GPU and no boot.

Reset CMOS with Gpu, no boot.

So....I'm guessing either the board has a problem on the connector or the GPU isn't working.

?

--Thread killer--

It does and as far as I'm aware it is. However with the GPU came two cables for power, however each split into two connectors (posting pictures below), so I thought they were backup cables for something and I didn't use them, using instead the ones from the PSU. 

post-251433-0-07860400-1442401548_thumb.

The GPU

post-251433-0-73561900-1442401594_thumb.

The PSU connector I'm using

post-251433-0-82053500-1442401555_thumb.post-251433-0-56113800-1442401587_thumb.

The connectors it came with.

?

It does and as far as I'm aware it is. However with the GPU came two cables for power, however each split into two connectors (posting pictures below), so I thought they were backup cables for something and I didn't use them, using instead the ones from the PSU. 

attachicon.gif12023200_919385534795413_718301683_n.jpg

The GPU

attachicon.gif12033433_919385544795412_1992355151_n.jpg

The PSU connector I'm using

attachicon.gif12026714_919385524795414_751629312_n.jpgattachicon.gif12033431_919385528128747_322562314_n.jpg

The connectors it came with.

any other suggestions?

Interesting development: So I took out the GPU, and started cleaning the drives to do a fresh install of windows (gave up on the hackingtosh idea as I can't afford anything else going wrong). I install the MB drivers and just out of curiosity I shut it down, plug the GPU and turned it on. As usual the screen stays black, but then out of nowhere I'm in windows. No bios splash screen, no windows loading logo, nothing, just puts me in the login window. I'm at a complete loss over here.