Headset? Or Headphones and a mic?

Watsyurdeal

Just in case you need clarity, should I get a headset, where the headphones and mic are part of the same device? Or should I get just plain and simple headphones, and buy the mic separately?

Headphones+Mic usually means better quality.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

What kind of a budget are you on?

and yes that really depends 

A mic on your desk is one more thing in the way.  I vote headset because it is one neat package instead of two.  Obviously if you need top quality audio, external mic is better.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I personally rather headphones and a mic. there are very few headsets were the mic, and the headphones are both great. its usually one or the other. So my suggestion, go find a pair of headphones you really like. Then go find a mic you really like.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

A mic on your desk is one more thing in the way.  I vote headset because it is one neat package instead of two.  Obviously if you need top quality audio, external mic is better.

thats true. but you can pick up a mic arm for $20 and just keep it out of the way when not in use.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

I have the Superlux HD668B as headphones and a Sony ECMCS3 as a mic. 

The mic just clips on your shirt and is great quality, I don't recommend doing YouTube video's with it but if you are just talking to your friends, then it is a great value.

The headphones come with a long and a short cord to hook up so if you want to switch from a PC to your phone for travel, you can go from a long to short cord in just a couple seconds, and the sound quality will rival $200+ headsets.

CPU: i7-8700K I CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: ROG Strix 1080 Ti MoBo: ROG Strix Z370-E RAM:  G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)   PSU: CORSAIR HXi Series HX1000i Case: Corsair Air 540 Display: 24" 1920X1080p 144Hz ASUS - 27" 2560X1440p 144Hz Dell OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

What kind of a budget are you on?

and yes that really depends 

I don't really have one per say, but I'd like to get a good deal at least.

I have a Kraken Chroma, and am looking for other options out of curiosity.

I like the idea of a desktop mic, I never have to worry about plugging my headset in just to tell people to stop fucking around and get on the damn point. xD