Overclocked 4770k to 4.5 ghz (w max 80 temp)

Hey guys, I'm new to overclocking and just recently build a computer. I was able to find a stable OC at around 4.5ghz but I'm noticing when I use intel's stress test on all cores that the max temp reaches 80 degrees cel. Is this abnormally high? I'm currently using a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO air cooler. Any insights would be great! Thanks so much

That's fine, as long as you keep it below 90C and 1.5V you're fine. And for a Haswell CPU, that isn't too bad at all, what voltage are you using?

Is it safe to keep my computer on and running at this frequency for days at a time, and will it decrease the lifespan of the cpu?

Hey guys, I'm new to overclocking and just recently build a computer. I was able to find a stable OC at around 4.5ghz but I'm noticing when I use intel's stress test on all cores that the max temp reaches 80 degrees cel. Is this abnormally high? I'm currently using a COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO air cooler. Any insights would be great! Thanks so much

It's the highest I'd ever let my CPU go. I had my 2500k at 5GHz under 80 degrees at one point. Granted I'm using a noctua NH D14. That's a pretty decent overclock with haswell. Nice going

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

Is it safe to keep my computer on and running at this frequency for days at a time, and will it decrease the lifespan of the cpu?

It's fine, it will decrease the life time, but nothing too significant.

As long as it doesnt overheat too much it'll be fine. if it was me, I'd want it cooler than that.

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

It's fine, it will decrease the life time, but nothing too significant.

Alright! Thanks for the insight, as long as it can last be a good 6 years before I build my next one I'll be a happy camper =)

Alright! Thanks for the insight, as long as it can last be a good 6 years before I build my next one I'll be a happy camper =)

6 years is a little ambitious, but it will easily last 4, maybe 5 if you're lucky.

I should also mention that it idles at around 40 and typically hovers around 45-50 when I'm playing games. So maybe it will be able to last longer? I'm not sure if I'm right on this but it's the voltage the decreases lifespan right, not the frequency neccessarily?

Your OC seems perfectly fine.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I should also mention that it idles at around 40 and typically hovers around 45-50 when I'm playing games. So maybe it will be able to last longer? I'm not sure if I'm right on this but it's the voltage the decreases lifespan right, not the frequency neccessarily?

Yes, it's the voltage. Heat is a factor but only really if it's getting way too hot like more than 90 degrees. 

Frequency doesn't affect lifespan.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That's fine, as long as you keep it below 90C and 1.5V you're fine. And for a Haswell CPU, that isn't too bad at all, what voltage are you using?

Respect to your status but 1.5v ...really that is just scary :blink:

Respect to your status but 1.5v ...really that is just scary :blink:

It's the maximum voltage an Intel CPU can handle. any more and it will damage it.

Well I would be very worried going close to that if I couldn't get it stable before 1.35v then I would call it quits lol :)

It's the maximum voltage an Intel CPU can handle. any more and it will damage it.

True....but with regard to cooling...1.3V would have been a much wiser advisement for air.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

I have mine at 1.24 volts on air to get a stable 4.5ghz frequency.