PC Restarts while Gaming.

Koka458

Serious issue! While playing graphically intensive game my PC restarts automatically. Corrupts my savegames!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I googled this issue and found out that it might be a power consumption issue.

It's not an overheating issue, played badly optimized AC:U for 2 hours, GPU 80°, CPU 45°. But  that was 3 months before.

I stopped gaming after that.....And started gaming again after adding :

*An old IDE drive. for backup.

*Updating GPU driver.

*Re-installing Batman Arkham City and Microsoft GFW.

Here's what I think: That IDE drive taking too much power and PSU is unable to provide more power for the GPU.

And I have a cheap gaming PC:

Nvidia GTX 760

AMD FX 6300

Corsair VS650

Rest of the stuff doesn't matter.

What do you guy's think?

A faulty PSU might be the reason

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

The other stuff might actually matter. If you have other hardware to swap in, see if it still does that. I had that on one of my old machines and the mobo turned out to be defective. 

Serious issue! While playing graphically intensive game my PC restarts automatically. Corrupts my savegames!  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I googled this issue and found out that it might be a power consumption issue.

It's not an overheating issue, played badly optimized AC:U for 2 hours, GPU 80°, CPU 45°. But  that was 3 months before.

I stopped gaming after that.....And started gaming again after adding :

*An old IDE drive. for backup.

*Updating GPU driver.

*Re-installing Batman Arkham City and Microsoft GFW.

Here's what I think: That IDE drive taking too much power and PSU is unable to provide more power for the GPU.

And I have a cheap gaming PC:

Nvidia GTX 760

AMD FX 6300

Corsair VS650

Rest of the stuff doesn't matter.

What do you guy's think?

perhaps it could be the psu ?

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

my first guess would be PSU. That 650 should have enough power so I would be looking to replace it as a faulty unit. I wouldn't have thought an IDE drive would make that much difference.

my first guess would be PSU. That 650 should have enough power so I would be looking to replace it as a faulty unit. I wouldn't have thought an IDE drive would make that much difference.

Hmm.....Everyone is saying the same thing now.

What am I suppose to do now?

do you have another pc that you can borrow the psu from? Unfortunately there is no cheap and easy fix. Your only course of action is to try swapping out parts to see what fixes the problem. I take it that you have double and triple checked all of your connections/component seating just to be sure that nothing has come loose

do you have another pc that you can borrow the psu from? Unfortunately there is no cheap and easy fix. Your only course of action is to try swapping out parts to see what fixes the problem. I take it that you have double and triple checked all of your connections/component seating just to be sure that nothing has come loose

Well, I clean my rig twice a month.

And I never gamed after adding that IDE drive.

I should remove it see what happens.....

Turn PSU Power button off and check your CPU Cooler. If you have a cheap boxed Cooler its possible, its not 100% on the CPU anymore. Problems like that normaly take only minutes to force a shutdown.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

The basic answer is the psu. the crazy answer is the motherboard, dont know why the motherboard would be the problem but a customer of mine a while back had a similar issue but they were rendering instead of gaming when their pc would shut down.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

by all means remove the drive, but if that makes the difference then your PSU is very weak.

Turn PSU Power button off and check your CPU Cooler. If you have a cheap boxed Cooler its possible, its not 100% on the CPU anymore. Problems like that normaly take only minutes to force a shutdown.

I would like to disagree. I've a Cooler Master Hyper 212X. CPU or CPU load is not the problem. I always close everything before gaming.

by all means remove the drive, but if that makes the difference then your PSU is very weak.

Alright...let's try it..see you later ..

IDE drives actually do require more power, and if you were near your power ceiling (idk cause you didn't list all your hardware) adding on a power hungry drive just may have tipped you over the edge. Is the shut down just an instant off, or does it do winows shutdown?

If its instant off its your psu, otherwise idk what could be doing it

Troubleshooting a pc will make you believe in gremlins.

--Thread killer--

So it doesn't BSOD / Bluescreen?  If so I would agree it could be a power supply issue (likely dying).  What kind of PSU is it?

So it doesn't BSOD / Bluescreen?  If so I would agree it could be a power supply issue (likely dying).  What kind of PSU is it?

Aaannn........a Corsair VS650 650 Watt. Not the best not the worst, I imagine...

where are your  12V, 5V and 3.3V voltages  at on your motherboard in HwMonitor ?

Aaannn........a Corsair VS650 650 Watt. Not the best not the worst, I imagine...

Did you overclock anything?  VS650 is actually a 600W PSU plus not the best manufacturer.