Asus r9 290 GPU spikes 100 to 0 to 100 %

Hi, 

I'm having a problem with my  2 asus r9 290 gpu's. They keep spiking insanely much, i have tried everything, checked my cpu, tried directx 11, older amd drivers, enabling only one gpu, nothing works... PLEASE HELP ME!

Pc specs

amd fx 8320 @3.5

cpu cooling: corsair h100I

2x Asus r9 290 direct cu ii

500gb hdd 7200rpm

1tb hdd 5400 rpm

mobo: asrock extreme 9

ram: crucial ballistix sport

psu: corsair r1000i

(yes going to overclock, first need to fix this, so no, watercooling isn't overkill)

Thanks in advance, Carter Dekkers

It's not the watercooling that is overkill, it's the fact that with that money you could have afforded a cpu that is better even without overclocking it.

That said, are you talking about gpu usage or fan speed? Does this happen only in games or all the time? In any games specifically? How are the temperatures when you get those spikes?

btw @CADekkers please follow your topics

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Simple.The cpu is bottleneckin the 2 gpus. Get a better cpu. (i5 4460 or better)

The site has changed....

first of all thanks for replying, second, I was talking about the gpu useage, not the fan speed. Third, i've had this system and just started upgrading so that explains why I have a ''bad'' cpu in your opinion. 

oh and my temps are card nr1 65/70 card nr 2 45/50. It does not happen in any specific games, it happens all the times.

first of all thanks for replying, second, I was talking about the gpu useage, not the fan speed. Third, i've had this system and just started upgrading so that explains why I have a ''bad'' cpu in your opinion. 

Fx series is old now. your gpus drop to 0% usage because the fx cant "feed" them with data quick enough, due to its older architecture and low IPC.

The site has changed....

How am i sure that it t be able to keep up? I have done my research and it shoushould just work fine with my fx processor... Is there any way i can fix this without spending money?

How am i sure that it t be able to keep up? I have done my research and it shoushould just work fine with my fx processor... Is there any way i can fix this without spending money?

You can not lift the bottleneck, you can just reduce it by overclocking the cpu. About 4.5-4.6 ghz would be good and the bottleneck wont be that noticable (  the problem will still exist tho)

In order to lift the bottleneck, i would suggest getting an i5 at least.

The site has changed....

oh and my temps are card nr1 65/70 card nr 2 45/50. It does not happen in any specific games, it happens all the times.

If the GPU is being bottlenecked, would it be able to hit 100%? 

Does it affect your performance in any way? Some fluctuation is normal in crossfire configurations, if you don't notice a performance loss then you need not worry about it. Secondly, the fx is most likely bottlenecking your cards, which will cause some additional fluctuation. Try overclocking the cpu, if that improves things then that's your problem and the cards are just fine. The temperatures are also pretty good (although only load temps matter).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Thanks for replying.! Working on overclocking my cpu at the moment

Nothing has worked, neither overclocking my cpu or downclocking my gpu or the combo. So, anyone here that wants to buy a asus r9 290?

Nothing has worked, neither overclocking my cpu or downclocking my gpu or the combo. So, anyone here that wants to buy a asus r9 290?

what voltages and clocks did you try while overclocking?

The site has changed....