Why does Drive C: get filled up

Gaming-for-life

Hello guys I was wondering why my Drive C: gets filled up when I install a program or a game on Drive D:, for instance right now, I installed Alien Isolation which is about 35 GIGS on Drive D but 5 gigs of space just ran out from C!!! why is that????

It was 446 GB free and now its 441 GB free. help is appreciated

stuff in my documents?

the entire sims series is pretty guilty on this one, the sims 3 base game actually has moe stuff in my documents than in the install folder...

because some files NEED to be with steam or your OS or whatever they run on

the only way you can fully put a program or game on a separate drive 100% is by using a "portable version" which run on non-system drives

idk if games like alien can even do that

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

stuff in my documents?

the entire sims series is pretty guilty on this one, the sims 3 base game actually has moe stuff in my documents than in the install folder...

No I don't play sims

because some files NEED to be with steam or your OS or whatever they run on

the only way you can fully put a program or game on a separate drive 100% is by using a "portable version" which run on non-system drives

idk if games like alien can even do that

a surprising number of games is actually portable... if you know the right cmd arguments the entire source engine catalog works just fine (as long as it can call home trough steam)

didnt say there werent other games that do that, it was just an example.

a surprising number of games is actually portable... if you know the right cmd arguments the entire source engine catalog works just fine (as long as it can call home trough steam)

I actually installed Alien Isolation from the DVD that I just bought

I haven't infact entered the code on steam yet so... I don't know

[removed]

5GB is a lot for people with small SSDs. Hell, I still scavenge around my files to free up space on my 256GB ssd... no idea why but I don't like when it goes past half full xD

Edited by Godlygamer23

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

5GB is a lot for people with small SSDs. Hell, I still scavenge around my files to free up space on my 256GB ssd... no idea why but I don't like when it goes past half full xD

thats exactly what I do but I can't find these files though

thats exactly what I do but I can't find these files though

As dolphin said, it could be DirectX dependencies or C++ redist, or user files in My Documents or AppData. Try something like WinDirStat to snoop around as what files are taking up a huge amount of space. https://windirstat.info/

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

As dolphin said, it could be DirectX dependencies or C++ redist, or user files in My Documents or AppData. Try something like WinDirStat to snoop around as what files are taking up a huge amount of space. https://windirstat.info/

[removed]

I was worried maybe Some trojans.gen are in my computer generating automated files around my computer and just filling up the space

Edited by Godlygamer23

I was worried maybe Some trojans.gen are in my computer generating automated files around my computer and just filling up the space

malwarebytes is your friend.

as well as ccleaner. (C: is in the name, its made for this)

You're probably joking, but it actually stands for Crap :D

You're probably joking, but it actually stands for Crap :D

i actually had no idea what it stands for xD

but its a long running joke between me and a few friends to change specific parts in names.

quite a few years back there was this internet thing in BE and NL to grab a company name and make up what it could stand for. guess its a remainder of that.

malwarebytes is your friend.

as well as ccleaner. (C: is in the name, its made for this)

I have norton 360 premier but I don't know if thats adequate

i actually had no idea what it stands for xD

but its a long running joke between me and a few friends to change specific parts in names.

quite a few years back there was this internet thing in BE and NL to grab a company name and make up what it could stand for. guess its a remainder of that.

ah X3

Yup, CrapCleaner.. They changed it a few years back to CCleaner to look more professional 

I have norton 360 premier but I don't know if thats adequate

I'd do a scan with Norton then one with Malwarebytes.

I'd do a scan with Norton then one with Malwarebytes.

I did and could'nt find anything. Thats good right?

I did and could'nt find anything. Thats good right?

yup! Just monitor your system over the next few days. you should be ok

If you are using an nvidia card it does store/caches shaders/textures from games on the c:/ drive...

You can turn it off in "manage 3d settings".

If you are using an nvidia card it does store/caches shaders/textures from games on the c:/ drive...

You can turn it off in "manage 3d settings".

Yes in fact I am