What should/should not go on ssd

Go to solution Solved by nike12000,

hey guys got my ssd installed and cloned its amazing thank you for the help!

Hello guys I had posted another thread about what hard drive to get and got very good response and was super helpful so thank you off the bat for that. Now my question is this, my ssd will be here on tues.

as a reminder this is a xps 15 laptop i7 with 750gb hd now and im getting 128gb ssd and a dive caddy to remove optical bay and I putting 7200rpm hd there and my ssd where my hd is now. Hopefuly so far so good. My question/ issue is this. As said before drive will be here on tues and i'm trying to get everything ready  so i was removing unused programs and I ran defragment and cc cleaner and so on I wanted to see if there was any other suggestions there. Also I wanted to know what should I put on the ssd vs on the hd once its installed I realized i have to mirror over the os " as i dont have a full copy of os just what was installed from factory/ whats on recover partition"   I know i need to point my picturesand videos folders and such to the old drive but should my steam games go on ssd or hd or put stuff i use often on ssd vs hd or whats the best way to do this? also last thing not sure what thoughts are here... this computer also has an msata drive on the mobo its a 32 gb msata drive and currently its default settings as I understand are used as a cache for the hd to make it faster... when I moved hd to the optical drive will the msata still work that way or will that break the "connection" that they have for that? and does it make more sence to somehow format that drive to just have it as additional high speed space instead? I know that's allot and prob one huge run on sentience but thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me!

I have os, bf3 as its the only game i play on a regular basis and a few pieces of software (solidworks, chrome and adobe ae) basically the thing you use the most often and want fast times with.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Anything which is typically mass-storage I would put on a HDD, like media libraries or output files from heavy work tasks. What I would put on an SSD depends on the size of the SSD, but generally I would just say programs. Most important to me would be OS, then stuff that I would feel needed the extra speed, and then programs and games by order of usage until you feel you've reached your space limit. 

ok thanks for the info thus far anythoughts on the msata stuff?

OS on your SSD, programs and files on your HDD.

I'm pretty sure he can fit the OS, programs, and a game or two on the ssd. 

Everything else would go to his hdd.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I'm pretty sure he can fit the OS, programs, and a game or two on the ssd. 

Everything else would go to his hdd.

It can, however I try to keep my SSD as empty as possible and only use it for the OS.

That was my thinking that you want it as empty as possible to keep the write cycles to a min

Personally i install everything i can on the ssd and just use my hdd as a backup disk.

The time it takes to "wear out" the ssd i probably have upgraded to new one so i don't really care.

But that's just how i look at it..

I've just posted my answer to your question in this thread. For your convenience, I've quoted the answer below.

Use the SSD for OS and all other programs, HDD for data. Move all the folders un C:\Users to the HDD, so that all data is on the HDD. To do that, follow these steps:

1. Open C:\Users\username (of course, change username with your username ;) )
  2. Right click on any of the folders under C:\Users\username
  3. Click on Properties
  4. Go to the tab Location
  5. Change C to the drive letter of your HDD
  6. Repeat for every folder under C:\Users\username
  7. Repeat for every username

Only use the HDD for programs if you don't have enough space on the SSD

That was my thinking that you want it as empty as possible to keep the write cycles to a min

You could write to it all day and you'll probably be fine. Ssds last quite a while.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I suggest you take a look at this: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4178/10/hardwareinfo-tests-lifespan-of-samsung-ssd-840-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion-final-update-20-6-2013

thats awesome i was really worred i would going to "burn " it out but that really put in perspective. that is the regular 840 I got the 840 pro and thats rated much higher so Im deff set

hey guys got my ssd installed and cloned its amazing thank you for the help!