Any program to force windowed mode in games?

Ruostunut kokis

I don't know if this is a correct sub-forum to post this...

As the title says, is there any program that could force the games that lack windowed mode as an option to run in a window, and that could work with modern games and not just old titles? Not a fan of full screen when the monitor is 1280 x 1024 (5:4 aspect ratio); either the aspect ratio is ugly, or have to deal with black bars that take away effectively one third of the screen, which could be used for something else.

I tend to play all games I can in windowed mode for that reason (at 1280 x 720 resolution), and I am fine with that. Some games just don't give an option to go windowed, which disappoints me a bit.

Some info of my system:

GPU: Asus GTX 550 Ti

GPU driver version: 353.30

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

I can tell you ones that force borderless windowed, not windowed though.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I don't know if this is a correct sub-forum to post this...

As the title says, is there any program that could force the games that lack windowed mode as an option to run in a window, and that could work with modern games and not just old titles? Not a fan of full screen when the monitor is 1280 x 1024 (5:4 aspect ratio); either the aspect ratio is ugly, or have to deal with black bars that take away effectively one third of the screen, which could be used for something else.

I tend to play all games I can in windowed mode for that reason (at 1280 x 720 resolution), and I am fine with that. Some games just don't give an option to go windowed, which disappoints me a bit.

Some info of my system:

GPU: Asus GTX 550 Ti

GPU driver version: 353.30

In Steam you can go to Library > right click a game > Properties > Launch Options > type "-windowed" (without the "" obviously) and it will play the game windowed.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

In Steam you can go to Library > right click a game > Properties > Launch Options > type "-windowed" (without the "" obviously) and it will play the game windowed.

That only works for games running on Source engine, unfortunately.

I can tell you ones that force borderless windowed, not windowed though.

Still better than full screen.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Works with Bioshock Infinite (Unreal Engine)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Still better than full screen.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/388080/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Theres a free one too but I bought it.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Alt+Enter didn't work? What game is that?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Works with Bioshock Infinite (Unreal Engine)

Might worn in some games that do have windowed mode as an option in-game, but not for those that don't.

For demonstration, I tried using said commands for Mirror's edge.

post-23506-0-87497700-1442154883.jpg

Ran those, and then tried just with -windowed, no effect.

Alt+Enter didn't work? What game is that?

Doesn't seem to work with any game I have tried, whether it has windowed as an option or not. Tried several different games, no effect.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/388080/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

Theres a free one too but I bought it.

Will try it. Seems like it could provide the solution.

Might worn in some games that do have windowed mode as an option in-game, but not for those that don't.

For demonstration, I tried using said commands for Mirror's edge.

attachicon.gif404 - Windowed mode not found.jpg

Ran those, and then tried just with -windowed, no effect.

Doesn't seem to work with any game I have tried, whether it has windowed as an option or not. Tried several different games, no effect.

Will try it. Seems like it could provide the solution.

I will admit its not a 100% flawless solution there are some games it wont work on (and their list on the steam discussions will not list everything) but ya worth a shot.

System Specs

I will admit its not a 100% flawless solution there are some games it wont work on (and their list on the steam discussions will not list everything) but ya worth a shot.

Tried. Nothing changes after configuring settings to run the program in windowed.

Thanks for the recommendation anyway. Might become useful some day, so might not be a complete waste of 4€.

Alt + enter ?

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Alt + enter ?

Doesn't work with anything for me. Tried with multiple games, and in all cases literally nothing happened.