Moving My New Desktop

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

so as long as I don't make contact with those while the desktop is not plugged in or I am statically charged it will be fine?

what are "those"?

Just any time you are going to touch something like a GPU or other electronic PC part make it a habit of touching something large and metal like the case, or a metal door, or coat hanger, or something.

The reason why you dont want a large CPU heatsink or GPU in the PC when moving is that if something hits the case or the case moves quickly it can rip one of those things off and ruin your motherboard

the PSU is not a problem at all, you can throw those things around and they will still work

plus its attached directly to the case, not hanging off the motherboard like a heatsink or GPU is :)

I built my new computer: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YqBdVn ) and I have to move. The trip to the apartment is 3 stories up, and I want to make sure it is safe. The two heaviest components I will remove are the graphics card and the power supply. I will keep the plastic on the side panel windows because it is still newly built, and I will put it back in the original box. The box is almost just a bit a foam around the front and back. I know it will not keep it that safe, but I just want it to be safe from small hits, if any, on the way up. This way it will only hit the cardboard. Removing the two components I mentioned, the heaviest ones in my opinion, will keep them safe and lighten the load. This, however, removes the point to ground the case. There is a lot of carpet in the apartment and I want to safely put the power supply and graphics card back in. Will there be any static damage as long as I make sure to put the power supply back in and plugged into an outlet before installing components? Will the "standard" foam cause any static damage without the case being grounded in the box? (The case is the only thing that will make contact with the foam, and when I want to put things back in ill use an anti-static mat.)

*EDIT* Because of the handles on the box I might leave the power supply in the case because it is secured unlike the graphics card.

PSU is perfectly fine

the only thing you should worry about is GPUs and large CPU heatsinks

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

PSU is perfectly fine

the only thing you should worry about is GPUs and large CPU heatsinks

so as long as I don't make contact with those while the desktop is not plugged in or I am statically charged it will be fine?

what are "those"?

Just any time you are going to touch something like a GPU or other electronic PC part make it a habit of touching something large and metal like the case, or a metal door, or coat hanger, or something.

The reason why you dont want a large CPU heatsink or GPU in the PC when moving is that if something hits the case or the case moves quickly it can rip one of those things off and ruin your motherboard

the PSU is not a problem at all, you can throw those things around and they will still work

plus its attached directly to the case, not hanging off the motherboard like a heatsink or GPU is :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just pick up the computer and move it... As long as you aren't throwing it around, dropping it or hitting it.. you wont hurt it. Doing so so so much extra work just to move it. 

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

what are "those"?

Should I remove the heat sync? I am using the NH-U12S. It isn't particularly large, and the backplate should be strong enough as long as I am not flinging the desktop around right? What about in the car? If I do remove the heat sync, is there enough included thermal compound to reinstall?

Should I remove the heat sync? I am using the NH-U12S. It isn't particularly large, and the backplate should be strong enough as long as I am not flinging the desktop around right? What about in the car? If I do remove the heat sync, is there enough included thermal compound to reinstall?

nah that heatsink is fine, you only should remove it if its huge like a NH-D15 or something

if you ever do remove the heatsink though, for any reason, you need to clean off and reinstall new thermal compound

I think noctua heatsinks come with a small tube of paste, not preapplied on the CPU plate, so you should have enough for a few reinstalls if you still have the tube

but GPU is a must, always

Spoiler

nah that heatsink is fine, you only should remove it if its huge like a NH-D15 or something

if you ever do remove the heatsink though, for any reason, you need to clean off and reinstall new thermal compound

I think noctua heatsinks come with a small tube of paste, not preapplied on the CPU plate, so you should have enough for a few reinstalls if you still have the tube

but GPU is a must, always

Especially when it's nearly a foot long and costs 677$, more than the rest of the parts combined! ;) Just to make sure, static, if any, from the foam won't affect it because it's only making contact with the case, right?

Especially when it's nearly a foot long and costs 677$, more than the rest of the parts combined! ;) Just to make sure, static, if any, from the foam won't affect it because it's only making contact with the case, right?

yup it will be alright

Spoiler