ATX12v1?

Hi guys, 

Im actually writing this during my first build but I'm kinda stuck. On Linus' build log he says to plug in all possible pins from you psu to your mobo before you install the gpu etc. Now I have a few questions.

1) My motherboard is a Asrock b85m pro4, and the manual sucks as far as I know. There is no map that shows what pins are what, there is some writing on the motherboard itself though. I can't find a useful manual online either, can you guys?

2) My psu is a Seasonic S12II-Bronze 520W and it comes with a loose 6 to 8 pin connector. The 8 pin end fits into the ATX12v1 port but what does that do? 0.0

3) The psu manual doesn't actually say anything about the cables either, what are the standard cables the come out of a psu and what do they do?

(For instance there's a PCI-e cable, which has 2 connectors made of a 6 pin and a 2 pin stuck together. What is the pci-e cable and why does it have 2 pairs of connectors?)

Any responses are more than welcome I'm kinda getting stressed lol.

~Sozakir

Plug the 8pin CPU cable into the top of the motherboard

But the PCIe 8pin to 6pin cable is for GPUs if they require extra, some GPUs need a 6pin connector and some more powerful ones need a 8pin connector hence why PSUs come with 6+2pin connectors incase you need 8pins

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

That one on the top is CPU power

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

merakit-pc1.jpg

Plug HDD's into SATA.

Plug the 24pin plug from the PSU into the motherboard.

Plug the 4 or 8 pin P4 conector into the "CPU power connector"

So if I plug the 8-pin into the Atx12v1 (this 8-pin is not connected to my psu) what goes into the other end of the 8-pin cable? The other end has 6 pins.

So if I plug the 8-pin into the Atx12v1 (this 8-pin is not connected to my psu) what goes into the other end of the 8-pin cable? The other end has 6 pins.

That cable isn't for the motherboard, that is for GPU's. You should have a cable(s) from the PSU that has 4 pins or 4+4 - this is for the motherboard

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99