Why won't my laptop connect to my school's wireless internet?

The_Harv
Go to solution Solved by ERSCreeper,

Hello, I'm having troubles connecting my laptop to my school's guest internet. 

Every time I connect I know I am suppose to sign in, but it won't let me sign in until I download java, which I already downloaded java that's the frustrating part.

I tried downloading both versions of java but they still don't work and I tried downloading multiple times. The funny thing is that my phone and tablet connects to it with no problem.

All of this is on Google Chrome, I did try FireFox and that still didn't work. For laughs I tried Internet Explorer, and it actually worked! So how can I get Google Chrome to work?  I tried to see if there was an update but it says it is up to date. 

Is there anything I can do? Thanks!

Your school uses the Cisco Meraki system correct? Cisco has only built their app to run in IE and it's an anti-virus checker.

Every time I connect I know I am suppose to sign in, but it won't let me sign in until I download java, which I already downloaded java that's the frustrating part.

I tried downloading both versions of java but they still don't work and I tried downloading multiple times. The funny thing is that my phone and tablet connects to it with no problem.

All of this is on Google Chrome, I did try FireFox and that still didn't work. For laughs I tried Internet Explorer, and it actually worked! So how can I get Google Chrome to work?  I tried to see if there was an update but it says it is up to date. 

theres two types of sysadmins: the ones that test in internet explorer, and the ones that do things right.

Your school uses the Cisco Meraki system correct? Cisco has only built their app to run in IE and it's an anti-virus checker.

\

WOW! I know nothing about this topic, but if that's true then what a bitch! I mean, who used IE

So am I stuck with IE? The grade below me has laptop's the school provides and they can use Google Chrome. But it is no big deal if I can't

WOW! I know nothing about this topic, but if that's true then what a bitch! I mean, who used IE

I thought the same thing! Great minds think a like!

We run MacBook's at my work and only on the systems with Bootcamp does the Meraki system check for Active Anti-Viruses and it will only check and allow login via IE. I would suggest you ask your IT administrator about this.

\

We run MacBook's at my work and only on the systems with Bootcamp does the Meraki system check for Active Anti-Viruses and it will only check and allow login via IE. I would suggest you ask your IT administrator about this.

Okay thanks for your help!

So am I stuck with IE? The grade below me has laptop's the school provides and they can use Google Chrome. But it is no big deal if I can't

I call false. The Meraki system implemented at both my high school, vocational school, and college work with Chrome, Safari, Opera, FireFox, and IE.

EDIT: Plus, it'd be a bitch to connect a mobile device with no IE. gg m8

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I call false. The Meraki system implemented at both my high school, vocational school, and college work with Chrome, Safari, Opera, FireFox, and IE.

EDIT: Plus, it'd be a bitch to connect a mobile device with no IE. gg m8

Do you have any idea on how to get it to work on Chrome? I'm doing microsoft updates on it just to see if that works, probably not but I thought the same thing about Internet Explorer 

Do you have any idea on how to get it to work on Chrome? I'm doing microsoft updates on it just to see if that works, probably not but I thought the same thing about Internet Explorer 

No idea. Never had an issue with a well-implemented network. Could just be your sysadmins being shitadmins. The admins in my high school were shit, but the ones before were great. Luckily the ones we got my freshman year didn't touch the networking side of the infrastructure. Get with your shitadmins sysadmins and see if they can help. Only effective solution I've got.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

No idea. Never had an issue with a well-implemented network. Could just be your sysadmins being shitadmins. The admins in my high school were shit, but the ones before were great. Luckily the ones we got my freshman year didn't touch the networking side of the infrastructure. Get with your shitadmins sysadmins and see if they can help. Only effective solution I've got.

Okay thanks! I'll definitely  do that on Monday or maybe I'll just use IE, who knows yet.

Okay thanks! I'll definitely  do that on Monday or maybe I'll just use IE, who knows yet.

This sounds amazing because its simply not true at all. The Cisco Meraki  scanner runs on JAVA. Guess what Chrome no longer has support for?... Yup you guessed it JAVA (NPAPI to be exact).

You can force Chrome to allow NPAPI here, this should fix your issue and allow the scanner to run on Chrome.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

This sounds amazing because its simply not true at all. The Cisco Meraki  scanner runs on JAVA. Guess what Chrome no longer has support for?

You know what's even more amazing? Deepfreeze kept all of the college's computers, desktop and laptop, using a Chrome version before April, 2015. It's also really awesome that I was in high school and vocational school while Chrome still supported JAVA. So guess what I used when I signed in to the Meraki APs;

Yup you guessed it JAVA (NPAPI to be exact).